Insulation - Decision Time!

windsprinter

OK, I've been trying to sort out the different options from searches on this forum. Intended use is light 3-season camping; anything warmer than a tent is OK. I'll probably be installing a propane furnace as well. A little noise reduction would be a bonus.

The $400 pre-cut insulation panels from Sprinter Source is not an option, they are out of stock;

Spray foam is too expensive for my budget;

A local RV conversion/repair place says they install fiberglass batts, no vapour barrier, when I asked about this they said moisture was not a problem as the insulation was glued directly to the walls. I wasn't happy with the answer. $80 per hour labour charges; I don't want to mess with it myself as I have a bit of a fiberglass allergy.

Anyone dealt with these guys? http://www.lobucrod.com/index.html. $225 for 4 x 120 feet would allow me enough to double up on some panels. 1/4 inch, R value between 8 and 12 (depending on direction), 23-42 dB sound reduction (depending on frequency) seems pretty good value. Their testimonials seem good, but these can be faked of course!

Any other suppliers/products I should be considering?

Sorry, I can't help you with your direct questions.

With your "too expensive for my budget" comment I'll give you one that I used because budget is always an issue with me. If you have no headliner and really want to keep cost down you can use fiberglass 2' x 4' plastic faced drop in ceiling panels for the roof liner. I installed them on a new 1974 Dodge stripped out cargo van. (The passenger seat was my only optional equipment.) They lasted until I sold it in 1987 and I'm certain much longer. Because I never had a fire, flammability of the facing was never an issue. The risk is yours to assess.

With the B-100 van the roof cross supports were close enough to each other that I was able to install panels with the 4' side running across. I used a plastic tee piece for the one butt joint I had for each rib section. With the greater spacing of the Sprinter roof cross supports I'm certain you'd need to use them the 2' way to be long enough to fit between the supports. Any joints can still be trimmed out with plastic tee stock, or maybe aluminum to support the longer joint.

To hold the panels up in place I used strips of tempered masonite cut wide enough to provide a support ledge along each side of the roof rib. Pretty basic and utilitarian. I'm certain there's better looking sheet goods available. In the Dodge van the panels snuggled in above the side wall panels for end support and needed no trim pieces. I used oval head ss sheet metal screws with cup washers to fasten the masonite pieces to the roof rib.

Before I installed the fiberglass panels you couldn't stay in the back of the van during a rain storm because the drum like noise in the back was deafening. After the installation the noise was not any worse than my other vans. The back of the 1974 was never any worse to keep heated than my subsequent factory trimmed vans, but that's not a very high bar. I installed a rear 14" square roof vent to help for the hot days. It did the job. Hope this helps.

lzcamper

I used a combination of Prodex insulation (which is like what you describe at the bottom of your post) and fiberglass batting. I cut the fiberglass to the correct length and taped plastic grocery bags on each end before I put them in place. Then I taped the Prodex to the panels and put them in place. This combination eliminated the hollow sound in the walls of the van, but I have yet to try it's thermal properties on a cold night. Unfortunately, I have a passenger van with lots of windows, so I'll need to cut out some removable Prodex or "bubble-wrap" panels for the windows. I bought the fiberglass (vapor barrier on one side) from Lowes and the Prodex from this web site: http://www.insulation4less.com/prodex_Ffmf.asp

Rick

windsprinter

wow - the lubocrod people returned my call - it was going to be something like $175 shipping for the long roll. Gotta find some of the double alu-backed closed cell foam locally I guess - no luck yet, noone seems to carry it!
Thanks for the various info. Maybe the Prodex is available - does sound similar.

You might stop by an industrial insulation contractor in your area. To someone who insulates storage tanks or other large equipment the amount of material you need will seem like small potatoes. They may have some good ideas and maybe some cutoffs or short pieces they'll sell for a reasonable cash price. Saying that, keep in mind that good quality insulating materials are never what can be called cheap. Hope this helps.

windsprinter

Yep, I'll try that AP. Not sure how many do that; I have a son that installs residential/commercial building insulation, but they don't work with these types. I just looked at the Prodex site again and saw that they have a minimum of 4 rolls ($1,000) for Canadian orders :bash: Someone must have this kind of stuff locally! I've phoned most of the insulation places in the yellow pages now, still no luck. Might have to pay the big shipping cost from Texas yet....

Top Bottom