Harmonic balancer questions

Zcribb123

I have a 06 with 300k first hb job done to it. Has only the front ac and has the 1150 bolt what is the proper torque on the bolt I've read two different ones just want to make sure I belive it's 240 ft lb plus 90° just wanted to be sure before tomorrow thanks

lindenengineering

I have a 06 with 300k first hb job done to it. Has only the front ac and has the 1150 bolt what is the proper torque on the bolt I've read two different ones just want to make sure I belive it's 240 ft lb plus 90° just wanted to be sure before tomorrow thanks
That is correct!
You will need a flywheel holding tool and big torque wrench to get to that spec with a NEW bolt.
Don't attempt to fudge it cos it will fall off with some expensive results I caution you!
Dennis
Mechanic
Farty Towels Workshop

GaryJ

Here since 2006
That is correct!
You will need a flywheel holding tool and big torque wrench to get to that spec with a NEW bolt.
Don't attempt to fudge it cos it will fall off with some expensive results I caution you!
Dennis
Mechanic
Farty Towels Workshop
Farty Towels---Fawlty Towers? Keep the inmates in line there Basil...you included...and don't mention the war...

Gary

Zcribb123

Thank ya sir that's what I thought. I'm waiting on the tool to arrive now and got to pick the bolt up tomorrow at mercedes

lindenengineering

Historically there was only one companion keyway for both the timing chain sprocket and the damper.

This was superseded to a twin key set up for ease of service procedures!
The bolt changed with it since 10.9 grade bolts come in three iterations.
By buying the bolt from the dealer giving them the vin # will ensure you get the correct bolt!
But in any case most of the bolts have been rationalized by this time.
Dennis
Mechanic

lindenengineering

Simply put because its needs to go into a stretched condition!

Did you not study general science and metals structures in High School?----It was all about Young's Modulus of Elasticity and all that if you have forgotten~!:thinking:
Dennis

NateV

2006 T1N 158wb 410k miles
Must have fallen asleep during that lecture, why don't they just say to torque it to 280, 290, etc...? How is torquing an additional 90 degrees not the same?

lindenengineering

Simpy put because the bolt has to be put into an elastic state, which in turn means that the factory has determined by using Young Modulus formulas that the 10.9 grade bolt is a use once only and torque it to the spec then angle tighten it.

There are lots of examples in all vehicles where this practice is commonplace due to bolting tolerances, take up and tightening stresses no name a few basic factors where a fixed torque cannot be given or established.

In fact anything that is bolted and subject to stresses is tightened as such!

You surprise me that you confess to falling asleep for what amounts to about two years of high school general science and mathematics.
Point loads on a beam, moments of force , trinomial equations, basic calculus etc etc. To name a few parts of the syllabus in high school. .
All this valuable info was provided to you at some point I suppose in formal schooling no doubt by the US taxpayer!:thinking:

Dennis

If you need to press on after discovering a HB problem there may be a response to a loss of rubber bond on the harmonic balancer. The ring can be removed and the Sprinter driven with the ring missing.

At least it worked for Alexk243. I personally would keep my speeds/rpm down a bit. I have no data.

So the outside ring on the harmonic balancer is loose and spinning freely... Appears the bolt is tight... How much time do I have? I am 500 miles from home.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
How high is up?

The proper answer is that it needs to be repaired. If it comes loose it can do a bunch of damage.

One possibility. If the ring will pass over the serpentine belt pulley. Remove the serpentine belt, remove the separated ring, and re-install the belt.

That should get rid of the balancer failing.

Were I to try that I would keep my speeds down to 55 mph to keep engine rpm's down. That said, there may be rpm ranges where more vibration is noticed than in others. If discovered I would avoid those ranges.

There must be many people who have run the T1N with a partially failed harmonic balancer which wasn't doing the job.

To be clear. I have never tried what I suggest above. I have no idea what the risks of trying it may be.

Good luck.

vic
So I have no reception and Wi-Fi but I guess I reached the same conclusion that you guys did. I drove 50 miles on it to an awesome diesel mechanic shop and they took the belt off and removed the ring. They also made sure the harmonic balancer was on there tight. After that (10 mins or so haha) I headed back and made the last 500 miles or so safely. Noticed a lot higher vibration as I approached 70 mph so stayed well below that.

You can see the ring removed on the floor of the shop by the driver door.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Sorry I could only check it when I was at a place with Wi-Fi

Now my next question is what harmonic balancer is recommend for replacement? I am fine paying more so this does not happen again. Any thoughts?
As always, clicking the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original post/thread.

Last edited:

Top Bottom