Which motor do I want?

GavinS

Hey guys,

I'm new here and to the sprinter world. My wife and I are shopping a new sprinter to convert to our biking and camping rig and I just want to make sure I get the right van. I've read a lot of the posts here about everything and just wanted to make sure I'm correct in my thinking that the smaller 4cyl diesel will be sufficient.

I plan on the 170" 4x2(wish I could afford the 4x4) model with a "nothing fancy" DIY conversion. I plan on 2-3 bikes with 2-3 people and camping gear being my normal load. Along with the bed, diesel stove/heater, fridge, solar system and aux battery, and hopefully a hot water system. I'lll rarely tow anything.

Am I missing anything about the motor choices? Is that 3.0 way better?
Will the 4cyl inline make it up all the Colorado passes loaded down no problem?
Should I make the effort to have the 4x4? I understand you can't drive over 35mph in 4wheel drive anyways.

Thanks for your help and I apologize for the basic/newbie questions. Just trying to get this right.
Gavin

sailquik

Gavin,
If you order/purchase the 4x4 then you won't have any choice.
You can only get the 4x4 with the OM-642 3.0 liter V6 and the 5G-Tronic-NAG-1 5 speed transmission (which you will have to learn to shift
manually, at least some of the time).
If you order/purchase the OM-651 2.143 liter I4 (2 stage turbocharged) and the 7G-Tronic 7 speed transmission you won't need to manually
shift unless you really want to for some reason.
The 4x2 with the OM-651/7G-Tronic will have plenty of power and plenty of gears to get you up the mountains.
Maybe not at 70+ mph (but you would not get that with the OM-642 V6/5G-Tronic either) but you should be able to simply let the OM-651 I4
and 7G-Tronic perform it's magical downshifts and upshifts for you.
Ummm...where did you hear that you can only use the 4 wheel drive @ < 35 mph?.
If you shift the transfer case into low range (provided you order the hi/low range transfer case option) then perhaps 35 mph is about as fast as you
would want to go without over revving the engine.
In high range 4x4 (since the 4ETS system is nearly identical to the 4matic 4x4 systems in the sedans and SUVs) you can go all the way up to the
83 mph speed limiter.
I've driven a demo 4x4 Sprinter 2500 at least 70 MPH in high range 4x4 with no issues other than a bit of gear noise from
the hi/low transfer case.
I was all ready to buy the 4x4 until I took it out on the interstate and ran it 60-75 mph.
Since I spend ~ 18 hours per week cruising along in that speed range, I decided the gear noise was a bit much and
decided I would keep my 2014 170"/4325mm short back high top Sprinter with the OM-651 I4/7G-Tronic.
I pull a 5,140 lb. trailer (the one in my Avatar) through the mountains of West Virginia and Pennsylvania fairly often
at a GCVW of 12,140 lbs. with no problems at all. There are several 6% grades on both of these routes.
Get the 4x2 with the OM-651 I4/7G-Tronic!
18-20% better fuel mileage....less problems....less shifting.... less oil for the 20K oil changes....what's not to like about that?
Roger

GavinS

A Mercedes salesman told me that it was a "military style" 4x4 system and if you drive it too fast it'll trash the transfer case. He said that's why all the 4x4 owners have and hear the clunking and whining. I have read quite a bit about that. I do like the idea of a little better ground clearance on the 4x4 but not positive it's necessary.

Thanks!

DieselFumes

2015 4x4 2500 170 Crew
A Mercedes salesman told me that it was a "military style" 4x4 system and if you drive it too fast it'll trash the transfer case. He said that's why all the 4x4 owners have and hear the clunking and whining. I have read quite a bit about that. I do like the idea of a little better ground clearance on the 4x4 but not positive it's necessary.

Thanks!
Go find a different sales person. That one either doesn't know what he's talking about or is purposefully lying to you so that you don't come back and complain if your subsequent 4x4 purchase clunks.

I have the 4x4 and although it's proven very useful a couple of times, mostly if you're using this as a way to get to bike trailheads and you want to keep it cheap, you'll be fine with 2WD.

sailquik

GavinS,
Actually, in the ROW (the Rest Of The World) Mercedes Benz does offer a pretty much military grade 4x4 system.
It's designed and built by Iglhaut (http://iglhaut-allrad.de/en/sprinter-ncv3.html) and features true 50% Front
50% rear locking differentials (selectable via a dashboard switch) and a 3rd locking mechanism to lock the front
and rear axles together in the transfer case.
I have heard great things about the Iglhaut systems, but unfortunately MB Sprinter USA will not import them
(except for special military/law enforcement/ambulance/search and rescue vehicles).
They have made the decision that the 4ETS system (from Oberaigner (http://www.oberaigner.com/en/) is more safety
oriented as it allows the use of the ESP/ASR (anti-skid recovery)/ABS (anti-lock brakes)/TSA (Trailer Stability Assist)/ and
Crosswind Assist safety systems that would not play well with a military style 50/50 fully locked 4x4 system.
The only difference between 4ETS and 4MATIC is the transfer case or the hi/low transfer case which allows the 4x4
system in Sprinters to be disengaged so that the Sprinter becomes a 4x2 vs a 4x4.
4MATIC systems cannot be disengaged and have no provision for a hi/low range transfer case.
The 4ETS system is very similar to the popular 4Matic system found in USA spec. passenger cars and SUVs from Mercedes Benz.
So, kind of have to agree with Diesel Fumes here....find a salesman (or Sprinter Brand Manager) that really understands what
he/she is selling and what the 4ETS 35% front/65% rear bias 4x4 system will (and will not) do for you.
Just reading up on the Oberaigner systems, they do offer 50%/50% 4x4 systems with the 3 selectable lockers, but not
in the USA!
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

ENMeyer

I have the 4 cylinder 144 HR 4x2 and there's no problem maintaining 75mph + on Wolf creek pass, Loveland, Vail, etc. I have been loaded with as much as 900 lbs of gear in the back and still able to maintain speed. You can accelerate up any pass, but not terribly quickly.

I'm VERY happy with the 4 cylinder and 2wd. I've driven 15,000 miles all throughout Colorado since December of last year. Zero problems. Get snow tires and enjoy the 24 mpg in the I4.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Not much of a choice. The old NAG1 5 speed is not very user friendly. IMO it is a semi automatic that required manual shifting due to the transmission controls that prevent it from downshifting when it should.

I have not driven the 7 speed but from all reports on this forum, it is a much better transmission.

Since I did not want a diesel, I bought a Transit. It has an excellent 6 speed that works as a automatic should work. Major improvement over the NAG1 in my sold 08 Sprinter.

Not much of a choice. The old NAG1 5 speed is not very user friendly. IMO it is a semi automatic that required manual shifting due to the transmission controls that prevent it from downshifting when it should.

I have not driven the 7 speed but from all reports on this forum, it is a much better transmission.

Since I did not want a diesel, I bought a Transit. It has an excellent 6 speed that works as a automatic should work. Major improvement over the NAG1 in my sold 08 Sprinter.
Dave,have you been checked out lately? That's about the 200 hundredth time you've posted the same negative comments. If you do not own a sprinter, and did not want a diesel van, and you don't like sprinters, then why are you on this forum?

sunnyside

Dave has been a great asset to the forum for a very long time and shared tons of ideas. I say let him say his piece. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him sharing his thoughts on his last Sprinter. IMO

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Dave,have you been checked out lately? That's about the 200 hundredth time you've posted the same negative comments. If you do not own a sprinter, and did not want a diesel van, and you don't like sprinters, then why are you on this forum?
I thought about it and think the experience I have had having owned both may be useful for some forum members. Why not share my opinion? I do try to minimize the negative Sprinter comments so not to upset the troops. We all have different needs and should purchase the vehicle that best fits those needs. They all have advantages and disadvantages and I have also posted about a lot of Transit disadvantages.

In this case I did have 56,000 miles with that transmission and am definitely biased. The original poster has a choice between an apparently very good transmission and one that is not (IMO). Think it is useful to him that I voice that opinion.

If you are so sold on Sprinter's, then any comments I make should not ruffle your feathers. You know you are right.

The other aspect is this site is a much better site than the Transit site. Has a very high number of very smart posters so I can learn from their posts. I do try to limit by posts to the conversion section so as I learn new ways to do things I can post what I learned for others to use or not use. We all gain from the interchange of information no matter what steel box we drive.

Sorry you get so upset. :thumbup:

GavinS

Thanks guys

Sounds like a consensus for the 4cyl and 2x4. Which tires did you get ENMeyer, Blizzacks? Anyone lifted their 2x4? I'm thinking about better clearance getting into some mtn campsites. I live up in Crested Butte and know that the van won't make it up some of my favorite roads without scratching the undercarriage.

Gavin

Onefin

Gavin
We are in telluride with a 2014 144 crew with the 4cyl and a (shoddy) sportsmobile pop top.
If you are ever this way, and would like to drive it, check it out etc please let me know.
In process of doing simple build out on van, AND remodeling a condo we just bought, so will need some advance notice.
Our van has been fine as far as power in the mountains, I felt it sucked as far as traction this winter in the snow with studded duratracs.
Had no weight at all in back, so that may have been part of it.
PM for contact info.
Dave

robmurray12

Thanks guys

Sounds like a consensus for the 4cyl and 2x4. Which tires did you get ENMeyer, Blizzacks? Anyone lifted their 2x4? I'm thinking about better clearance getting into some mtn campsites. I live up in Crested Butte and know that the van won't make it up some of my favorite roads without scratching the undercarriage.

Gavin
While a lift may look cool and be a perceived advantage it's not worth it. Making a tall vehicle taller...

A rear locker in your 4x2 would blow away anything you could hope to achieve over a lift and bigger tires when it comes to actual off road performance. Unfortunately a rear differential locker (selectable or otherwise) does not exist for these rear axles to my knowledge. I'd save the money and leave a good set of stock sized tires.

If you want to turn heads then go for a lift or stuff some BFG Duratracs under it like everyone else does. If going this route be sure to get your van in the grey color.

I think the Sprinter (even my 170) has phenomenal clearance. We've done some hairy NF driving and clearance was always the least of my concerns. If clearance became an issue then we were already in over our heads with 2 wheel drive. I mean, you'll maybe gain 2 or 3 inches??

Last edited:

This Old Light

Greg - 2016 170 Crew Van
I worked for Mercedes-Benz for many years and have had the opportunity to drive a number of Sprinters of various configurations in various driving and load conditions. Last year when I retired I bought a 170WB 4x2 with the 4 cyl engine and 7G-Tronic 7 speed transmission. I am very satisfied with the van and highly recommend this engine/trans combination, My average MPG is 24, and the engine has plenty of power for my needs.

GavinS

Rob,
It's more about not dragging the undercarriage all over rocks and banging up installed aftermarket accessories or factory gear than looking cool. A locker always helps, as I have one in my current truck, but it doesn't help when you're high centered badly nor does it prevent damage to the underside. And the 4x4's models are lifted almost 4" so someone smarter than me must have thought it was a good idea. Maybe I'm used to higher clearance and not worrying about the underside. But I also don't have the money to be replacing parts I ruined.

GavinS

Thank you guys for all of the input. It's very valuable to hear from owners about all of the options. I'm not close to a dealership so all of my info and research is done online. This is a big purchase/decision for me and all of this helps. I now feel way better about what I've learned and know I can make a more educated purchase.

Thanks again
You guys are great!!

This Old Light

Greg - 2016 170 Crew Van
Dave, I have followed many of your posts on various thread builds and found them to be very helpful. Thanks!

I thought about it and think the experience I have had having owned both may be useful for some forum members. Why not share my opinion? I do try to minimize the negative Sprinter comments so not to upset the troops. We all have different needs and should purchase the vehicle that best fits those needs. They all have advantages and disadvantages and I have also posted about a lot of Transit disadvantages.

In this case I did have 56,000 miles with that transmission and am definitely biased. The original poster has a choice between an apparently very good transmission and one that is not (IMO). Think it is useful to him that I voice that opinion.

If you are so sold on Sprinter's, then any comments I make should not ruffle your feathers. You know you are right.

The other aspect is this site is a much better site than the Transit site. Has a very high number of very smart posters so I can learn from their posts. I do try to limit by posts to the conversion section so as I learn new ways to do things I can post what I learned for others to use or not use. We all gain from the interchange of information no matter what steel box we drive.

Sorry you get so upset. :thumbup:

HelloPitty

I believe the year was 2010 for the BlueTEC.
I was looking at this site:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlueTec

"By 2010 a BlueTEC version of the Mercedes Sprinter was released. The BlueTEC systems allowed the elimination of much of the EGR in that vehicle's engine, which as a result gives 188 horsepower (140 kilowatts) compared to the non-BlueTec engine's 154 horsepower (115 kilowatts)."

Last edited:

Top Bottom