AC compressor failed?

mike01001

My 2009 Sprinter threw a belt and all the pulleys seem to spin freely. The ac pulley is not spinning with the engine off and with no belt attached. Is this normal or has the compressor seized? The tensioner is also in good condition.

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
With the engine and ignition off, the pulley should freewheel.

Edit:Is the NCV3 compressor a variable displacement clutch-less type? If so there is no clutch to fail.

I have seen clutch bearings fail without damaging the compressor. I am not sure if the sprinters AC compressor clutch can be changed separate of the compressor.

If the clutch burned up it is possibly due to overcharging, or lots of oil (usually from those top off kits).

Last edited:

mike01001

I did recharge it two weeks ago because it had no refrigerant. I'm hoping that it is a coincidence, with 250k on the van, and not a $1000 screw up.

nctrailseeker

I have a couple compressors from 2007 & 2008 cab & chassis still connected to system....just pulled engines. Let me know if you choose to go used in replacement.

mike01001

I used ac pro. Thanks for the offer of the compressors, but I can't afford the down time. When the pulley seized it melted the ribs on the small pulley behind and just right of the fan clutch pulley, so that needs to be replaced also. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to suck this up since I don't have the tools to pull the fan clutch off and the rental tools which auto parts stores offer are useless.

lindenengineering

A/C Pro --fix in can!
What more can I say!:thumbdown:

Why you guys resort to this remedy is beyond me!
Their slogan colder air!:lol:
Makes me laugh for starters and as for the oil compatibility in the can, plus there is often a stop leak you are asking for trouble like a failed compressor.
Something to consider!
Often overlooked by DIY'rs is the need to record the on off time against specs!
Excessive A/C clutch cycling times and slip causes heat to build up in the pulley and causes eventual seizure of the clutch assy, let alone damage to the shaft gland seal!.

A mix of wrong or excessive oil, often found in impure A/C refrigerant from an unknown source (WTF is in there???) and sealant in the can is a sure fire recipe for an expensive wallet flush!
Things to remember!
Dennis
Trained & Licensed A/C mechanic to dispense restricted refrigerants !

mike01001

I "resorted to this remedy" because the I was not aware of the problems that could result. I did not use this product saying to myself "you know what, I feel like potentially pissing $1500 down a hole and losing a weeks wages". Perhaps this post will alert others to potential problems in using this product, if in fact this product did result in the compressor bearing failing, and was not typical wear.

Top Bottom