New 2016 van can someone explain what these are?

anoldfireman

Just got my 2016 crew van. There are a couple things I do not know what they are and a search comes up empty. Can anyone identify what purpose or object they are?

1. In slide out tray front center console. There seems to be a cigarette capsule with hinged lid- In the capsule there is a small clear window and in the receiver tray/part there is another window where they match up when capsule is inserted.
Is it a light? Is it a sensor of some kind? I am baffled. Alien abduction notification system?

2. Under dash on passenger side- There is Jack compartment- Inside is a bottle jack in a plastic bag and the wrench and screwdriver in grey bag.
What the heck is the black styrofoam mold there for. It seems to be easily removable and this area I will insulate well but The styrofoam seems to have a specific cut-out for something to fit.
Anyone know? I think my lightsaber might fit in it....

https://goo.gl/photos/NKT51wryiZVJVSwr7

GSWatson

2013 144
I have a 2013, so my slide-out is a little different, but that rectangle lights at night so you can see where to wedge in (tightly) the coffee cup,and the see where to put it after it falls out during a gentle turn. Yours looks slightly larger; can it foot something bigger than a soda can in width? I use a Contigo travel mug because it's the only one I've ever found that I can count on to not leak (even when tumbling to my sprinter's passenger footwell during a turn), but still be easy to drink with one hand. The foam, I think, is just there to fill space?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gpaw68

2015 144 4cyl high roof
I have wondered about the ashtray clear window myself. Fire detection system?��

sprintmark

the clear window is a light, turn on the lights and see, the Styrofoam on the right side is there for the floor mat to fit in place, and if it is a cab chassis there will be a "key" for the def tank.
Mark, Sun MB

sailquik

Hi sprintmark,
Glad to see you here (if you are who I think you are).
Great answers, but I think the OP is looking for what goes in the (approx.) 3" diameter hole
in the black stryofoam filler on the inboard side of the metal bracket that has the 1/4 turn
fastener for the passenger floorboard cover over the service jack and tool kit.
I'll check, but I don't think I've seen that in my 2014.
Looks like a cavity for something specific with finger holes to pull it out at the fore and aft positions.
Maybe some sort of hub adapter for the SuSi or something along those lines?
Anyway, you see a lot of them, but once you put the floorboard cover back in place, and lock the
1/4 turn fastener, then the floor mat goes over the top.....right?
Roger

Attachments

Last edited:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Hi sprintmark,
Glad to see you here (if you are who I think you are).
Great answers, but I think the OP is looking for what goes in the (approx.) 3" diameter hole
in the black stryofoam filler on the inboard side of the metal bracket that has the 1/4 turn
fastener for the passenger floorboard cover over the service jack and tool kit.
I'll check, but I don't think I've seen that in my 2014.
Looks like a cavity for something specific with finger holes to pull it out at the fore and aft positions.
Maybe some sort of hub adapter for the SuSi or something along those lines?
Anyway, you see a lot of them, but once you put the floorboard cover back in place, and lock the
1/4 turn fastener, then the floor mat goes over the top.....right?
Roger
It looks like it is intended for a locking wheel bolt 'key'. (Lug bolt to you).
alloy_wheel_locking_bolts_and_key.jpg

I've never heard them mentioned over your side of the pond but in Europe virtually all cars with alloy wheels have locking wheel nuts fitted as standard.

Keith.

sailquik

Keith,
We have them over here as well, but the hole looks awfully large for an anti-theft wheel bolt/lug nut socket.
Maybe this is where the stash the short lug bolts for Sprinter's with the OEM alloy wheels and the longer lug bolts,
but then there does not seem to be enough room for 6 lug bolts.
Roger

Top Bottom