PDA

View Full Version : Shocks, Struts or both?

Rob S
05-16-2016, 06:40 PM
My 2008 Navion on 2007 Dodge 3500 with 102k miles on sways side to side going through potholes, and I was thinking without any actual upgrades, I might try just getting new shock absorbers for it.

Front struts are quite expensive so anyone have any experience if they are most likely worn out at 100k, or if maybe just doing the rears would be sufficient?

For now, the front seems to ride well on the highway, and the tires are worn evenly.

calbiker
05-16-2016, 08:27 PM
The struts make a big difference. There was a section of the freeway where the front end would bottom out regularly. No more bottoming out after changing to Koni struts. I was told the struts were set to 80% max damping. However, the Sprinter Store failed to adjust my shocks/struts. After removing the struts to check damping setting, and then adjusting them to max, I got significant improvement on side-to-side rocking.

I suggest get both Koni rear shocks and front struts, adjusted to max damping. The Sumo Springs have virtually no effect on rocking. Instead, I would install SuperSpring Helper Springs.

smiller
05-16-2016, 08:38 PM
It's just so frustrating trying to get input on this question... I don't doubt anyone's experiences but in one thread I read that a damper upgrade made no difference, then in another it was hugely effective. Then I read that Sumo Springs are the answer to a prayer, or... they make no difference at all. This is the main reason I haven't done anything yet. :hmmm:

sleeper bird
05-16-2016, 11:29 PM
It's just so frustrating trying to get input on this question... I don't doubt anyone's experiences but in one thread I read that a damper upgrade made no difference, then in another it was hugely effective. Then I read that Sumo Springs are the answer to a prayer, or... they make no difference at all. This is the main reason I haven't done anything yet. :hmmm:

im in the uh, i have no idea which way to go when i do decide fronts are needed side myself.Way i look at it my factory struts have held up 160,000 miles now on an 08 cargo

calbiker
05-17-2016, 12:44 AM
Suspension opinions are a dime a dozen. Opinions are all over the map. You even have people who claim sway bars reduce rocking!

I've been interested in taming the beast for 10 years. I organized the first and only Winnebago Sprinter MH suspension testing in Quartzsite some 8 years ago. In those days I taped a plastic cup full of water at the back edge of the MH and measured how much spilled after going over a bumpy course. Since then I built an Arduino based accelerometer data logger to measure the amount of rocking various suspension mods produce. My input/advice is not subjective, but based on measured data.

Freewalker
05-17-2016, 03:45 AM
I can vouch for the Koni struts. Made a measureable difference. Bought them from Upscale automotive, but I also had the Glide-Rite suspension installed in the rear. I am sure that it all added up, but the struts definitely made a difference. On open roads, the monster open ups, hit 85mph and hold steady on curving freeways all throughout California steady as 3 tons of steel; virtually no buffeting unless I hit strong winds when going up the grapevine leading into LA. The Koni struts were well worth it.