Engine doesn't get up to temp

Isla

I replaced my thermostat housing and temp sensor and now a few months on my engine doesn't get up to temp easily at 40°f or under. I got the part of chinabay. Even with summer coming on a partly open thermostat isn't what i want nor is a malfunction temp sensor. What aftermarket brand should i look at or should i just go OEM?

Sent from the first city on the Mississippi.

I have used some aftermarket parts with success. After one failed attempt I would just go OEM. You really want the cooling system to be operating correctly.

vic

talkinghorse43

I replaced my thermostat housing and temp sensor and now a few months on my engine doesn't get up to temp easily at 40°f or under. I got the part of chinabay. Even with summer coming on a partly open thermostat isn't what i want nor is a malfunction temp sensor. What aftermarket brand should i look at or should i just go OEM?

I'd go with OEM as well, but what you've written doesn't tell me there's anything wrong. You are in Bemidji after all (when I lived there in the '50s it was "the icebox of the nation" - before Alaska became a state). Diesels, and Sprinters in particular, don't generate a lot of waste heat, so they naturally don't "...get up to temp easily at 40F or under.". Hopefully you have the booster heater and if you do, you should use that to get your engine up to temp quicker/easier.

Last edited:

nutterbutter

2004 LTV Free Spirit T1N
What temperature do you reach going down the highway on a level road?

I was surprised at the low running temperatures in my sprinter when I ran in the cold weather (I'm in California). Coasting down a very long hill, there was barely any heat coming out the vents. Going up the next hill, temps would climb back up. I used to drive a 90's Ford F-250 diesel for work a long time ago, and engine temperatures (and heater temperatures) were much higher than the sprinter. I was initially distressed by the temps and no warm up during idling, but I've learned that's normal for sprinters.

"Normal" engine temperatures... That's somewhat subjective because conditions and operating mode does affect the coolant temperature.

Highway driving should get the temperatures up to where they belong (about 180F). Both my 2004 and 2006 Sprinters behave as described below.

Some info from some other threads.

FWIW. My 2004 T1N has always been OK for heat. The other day I watched things a bit closer to get some timing. About 30 F ambient. A 1/2 mile back street drive to the expressway entrance ramp. About 2 miles to the toll barrier 55 mph limit. 65 mph limit from there.

Started van @ approx. 7:42 a.m.
Temp hit 145 F about 7:48 a.m.
Temp hit a couple ticks below 180 F about 7:56 a.m.
About 8:07 a.m. still just under 180 F. I reduced the cabin blower fan speed and adjusted the vents because it was starting to get a bit hot.

Not very scientific, but gives an idea of how mine works. Same basic results in colder weather. It just takes a little longer to hit the temperature benchmarks.

I think Gears hit on a good thing to check with the jiggle valve. Anything which allows too much coolant to by-pass the stat will keep operating temperatures down. Any by-pass leakage will not affect summer driving temperatures so much.

I also think the 12 minute change out time and $75.00 parts described by Mr. Schmancy is better time spent and cost effective than a visit to the shop for evaluation. I'd try that first.:2cents: Hope this does some good. AP/vic
Another data point.

I had problems with my radio/cell phone Bluetooth interface today. Got a call. Laws, common sense, required me to pull off to answer. Pulled into a school parking lot. Old man in a van. Stranger Danger!!! :bash:

Anyway. 23F ambient by my dash. Around town driving had my engine temperature up to around 175F interpreted from my OEM gauge needle. Idled during my 16 minute phone conversation. I didn't touch the throttle the entire time. The gauge fell to about 150F and remained there until I drove off. It didn't get anywhere near the low end 110F mark.

FWIW. vic
Another data point from my 2004 which *appears* to be cooling/heating as to what I would consider normal.

29F ambient. Approx. 65 mph. A sign posted a caution for trucks. 5 mile 5% down grade.

My engine temperature was around 180F at the beginning of the long downhill run. The engine temperature fairly quickly dropped to mid point between 180F and next lower hash mark (145F). I would interpret that midpoint temperature reading as 160F. For the rest of the downhill run the engine temperature never went below that midpoint temperature.

On the climb following the 5 mile/5% the temperature moved to a bit above 180F and then settled back to 180F or a tick lower.

So with my engine, the thermostat was able to maintain the engine temperature at the midpoint below 180F (160F?) even when the engine wasn't producing much power at speed on a very long downhill grade.

FWIW. vic
As always, clicking the blue arrow icon within any quote box will take you to the original post/thread.

vic

Isla

What you're describing sounds a lot like mine is operating correctly. Anything below 40° and it's struggles to ever get above 165. But get a -35° day and it won't rise above 145. WITH The heater booster engaged. Makes me wonder if the heater booster is doing its job.

What you're describing sounds a lot like mine is operating correctly. Anything below 40° and it's struggles to ever get above 165. ...
If you are describing what happens on the highway, then you should re-read my post above.

The only times my van has dropped to the 145 - 160F range were the unusual conditions of being parked while on the phone and the 5 mile long downgrade.

My van doesn't ever "struggle" to get to temperature on the highway. It generally even gets up above 160F or so even when putting around the city. I use my modified heater booster for pre-start pre-heat. I can't think of any time that I have actually needed it for supplemental heat for the cabin front seat area.

vic

Top Bottom