PDA

View Full Version : Qu: Battery change impact smog test?

NavionKid
05-12-2016, 05:42 AM
As Dennis just noted you can use any inexpensive ODBII code ready to check whether all the 'readiness' checks are passed. If not you will need to complete a certain number of drive cycles before they will close, or... and this is the problem, on some older vehicles it may be difficult or impossible to get some of the checks to complete, and since it doesn't really effect vehicle operation manufacturers are in no hurry to fix it, if they ever do.

In the past, since states used to allow at least one or two readiness checks to be incomplete and have the vehicle still pass an emission inspection this wasn't much of a problem, but California recently declared that all monitors must be complete (apparently without adequately researching the consequences of the decision), hence the current issue. Eventually the regulatory wheels will grind and the problem will get sorted out but until that time you will either need to get an individual exemption or install a program ('tune') in the ECU to force the monitors to show as complete.

Hi,

This subject is very similar to my CA Smog testing problem on the 2016 Itasca Navion on Mercedes Benz Sprinter frame.
I bought a very low mileage, less than 3000 miles on odometer, Sprinter in Oregon and drove it into California few days ago. I register it at DMV to pay for the sales tax and registration fee without the smog test. Now, at the smog test station, it can't proceed with the CA smog test procedure due to the "Test Not Complete" status on the Catalytic converter test and the OS2 sensor test. This motor home was parked in the original owner's garage for little over a year with dead batteries. They installed new batteries(chassis battery and house batteries) few days before I drove it to California. I added just about 700 miles on the odometer before the smog test attempted.
Does anyone know how many miles I need to drive after the new battery installed before it can be smog tested ? How many warm up and cool down cycles are required to complete the Catalytic test and OS2 sensor test ? I don't think I will be driving much until my big trip to east coast in July and be back home in mid August. I am sure CA DMV will not going to wait that long for me to complete the smog test.
Any advise will be appreciated.

Taka

Doctor Handyman
05-16-2016, 05:48 AM
I was told by smog test station that it was only ~50 miles to reset after battery replaced or check engine light cleared for most vehicles.

I had this problem with a Texas F350 brought into CA. Make sure they understand that it was an out of state vehicle. Otherwise they will be attempting to obtain 3 "bubbles" / indicators instead of passing you on just two.

Final result was taking it to a referee station ( community college) where they did a visual and signed off.

smiller
05-16-2016, 06:28 AM
Does anyone know how many miles I need to drive after the new battery installed before it can be smog tested ? How many warm up and cool down cycles are required to complete the Catalytic test and OS2 sensor test ?
I've seen this information detailed for certain vehicles but not sure if MB has released it and if not it may be impossible to get a certain answer. One place you will not get it is a testing station and there is no specific set number of miles that will guarantee the tests close since it depends on several factors and usually takes multiple (and undefined) drive cycles. Normally a few days of normal driving will do it if there are no malfunctions. As noted above an inexpensive OBDII reader will let you know the status of the monitors but if there are any problems a more advanced scanner would be required, or in your case you would be under warranty and you can have a dealer check it.

lindenengineering
05-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Hi,

This subject is very similar to my CA Smog testing problem on the 2016 Itasca Navion on Mercedes Benz Sprinter frame.
I bought a very low mileage, less than 3000 miles on odometer, Sprinter in Oregon and drove it into California few days ago. I register it at DMV to pay for the sales tax and registration fee without the smog test. Now, at the smog test station, it can't proceed with the CA smog test procedure due to the "Test Not Complete" status on the Catalytic converter test and the OS2 sensor test. This motor home was parked in the original owner's garage for little over a year with dead batteries. They installed new batteries(chassis battery and house batteries) few days before I drove it to California. I added just about 700 miles on the odometer before the smog test attempted.
Does anyone know how many miles I need to drive after the new battery installed before it can be smog tested ? How many warm up and cool down cycles are required to complete the Catalytic test and OS2 sensor test ? I don't think I will be driving much until my big trip to east coast in July and be back home in mid August. I am sure CA DMV will not going to wait that long for me to complete the smog test.
Any advise will be appreciated.

Taka

It is hard to give you a definitive answer but basically the monitor (in this case cat effy) cannot close because the input data isn't being met.
Only a scan and live input data will show up what is short to the trained eye.

At times I might add though, I find it hard to get MB monitors to close at times and recently with an E class gasoline engine car I had to drive strictly to the drive cycle several repeat times to get the monitors to close and comply to Colorado I/M 240 test specs.
Only older Fords and their EGR valves/monitors would give you so much hassle!

As a side bar and I chirp about it occasionally & the ease of fixing Toyota and Lexus; but immediately afterwards I had a Toyota Camry to get into compliance. After installing a Cat and O2 sensors a simple drive at 40MPH for 20 minutes precisely, I saw it close on the scanner simultaneously as the dash clock radio ticked past the 20 minute count!
All the best
Dennis
Mechanic