PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug service

Mrdi
05-12-2016, 09:48 PM
Anyone hear of this Sprinter maintenance?
Offered by an Independent L.A. Mercedes shop

Glow Plug Service

In our experience, diesel glow plugs begin to fail in the 50-80,000 mile range. The design of the cylinder head on the twin-cam diesel engines requires that the glow plugs be threaded through long, narrow bores leading to the center of the combustion chambers. Unfortunately, one or more of the glow plugs will likely be seized in its bore by the time it fails. The only way to remove seized glow plugs is to remove the entire cylinder head and then drill them out using a special fixture, and install steel threaded inserts in the head.

Our alternative is to Remove the glow plugs before 50,000 miles, clean their bores with the Mercedes-Benz reamer tool, and reinstall them with anti-seize lubricant. The job can be completed in less than 2 hours and will save you thousands down the road if you expect to keep your Sprinter for the long haul.

lindenengineering
05-13-2016, 02:55 AM
Anyone hear of this Sprinter maintenance?
Offered by an Independent L.A. Mercedes shop

Glow Plug Service

In our experience, diesel glow plugs begin to fail in the 50-80,000 mile range. The design of the cylinder head on the twin-cam diesel engines requires that the glow plugs be threaded through long, narrow bores leading to the center of the combustion chambers. Unfortunately, one or more of the glow plugs will likely be seized in its bore by the time it fails. The only way to remove seized glow plugs is to remove the entire cylinder head and then drill them out using a special fixture, and install steel threaded inserts in the head.

Our alternative is to Remove the glow plugs before 50,000 miles, clean their bores with the Mercedes-Benz reamer tool, and reinstall them with anti-seize lubricant. The job can be completed in less than 2 hours and will save you thousands down the road if you expect to keep your Sprinter for the long haul.

Well some things I can agree with some I can't.

Yes you can get glows failing at 80K.
I would change them if mine at that interval, & I often do the same with a Ford PU we have with a 7.3 Corn binder engine in it!

I do not agree that the glows are often seized even at high mileages they can come out fairly easily . Often cheap or poorly installed glows are the reasons they break!

Yes the correct anti seized liquid helps install and subsequent removal.

Should a glow plug break it does not mean the had has to come off!
In only one incident in about 5 years have I had to lift head off to extract a broken glow plug.

This last statement tells me the author has had little or NO experience of basic mechanics machine shop work, let alone advanced manufacturing of auto machine tool & component production.
On that score I suppose it can be forgiven as this used to be at least a third of auto mechanics bench work practices in the middle of the last century.
Dennis
Mechanic "con Tuercas Viejas"