What oil for dodge sprinter

surlyoldbill

There will be literally dozens of posts with claims of what's best, what works, what doesn't, what's approved, what isn't approved but works, etc. Oil threads are exponential.
The tried and true oil for the OM612 (02-03) and OM647 engine (04-06) is Mobil-1 0-40 european formula.
There may be cheaper oils, there may be "better" oils, but this is the one that you can have total confidence in.
About $25 for 5 quart jugs at Walmart. 9 quarts for an oil change, so you have a quart left over for topping off if needed thousands of miles later. Maybe you can save up to a whopping $10 by using some cheaper oil, but with 10-15k between changes, is it worth it?

HelloPitty

Mine is a 2004, but the owner's manual states, "The engine manufacturer strongly recommends the use of synthetic engine oils, such as Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40."
Just like said above.

jjf184

Mine is a 2004, but the owner's manual states, "The engine manufacturer strongly recommends the use of synthetic engine oils, such as Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40."
Just like said above.

I don't see any labeled as European. They have mobile turbo diesel truck 5w-40. It's the only Mobile brand that list diesel on the label. Or they have a lot of Rotella brand

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Not all Walmarts carry exact Mobil 1, some can order in if you ask.
My Walmart carries Castrol Edge 5W40 with approval # MB229.3 or 229.5 which is good for it

surlyoldbill

I don't see any labeled as European. They have mobile turbo diesel truck 5w-40. It's the only Mobile brand that list diesel on the label. Or they have a lot of Rotella brand
The Mercedes diesels are not Cummins diesels. They use car oil for lack of a better term. look in the Mobil section, not the "truck" section of the oil aisle. The moniker "european formula" is in smaller letters, I believe there is only one Mobil-1 0-40. Don't worry about the "european" part.

All I use in my T1N is Rottella 5-40 syn... For over 600k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If your engine fails then the oil snobs/purists can blame it all on that oil.

Rotella T6 5w-40 Full Synthetic in the blue jug is MB228.31 approved. Mercedes BeVo says that for our T1N 5 cylinder diesels within the MB228.XX spec we need MB228.3, MB228.5, or MB228.51 spec.

One problem in North America is that as time goes on many engine oils which were at one time MB228.3 are now reformulated to MB228.31 for emissions. I have used the Rotella T6 5w-40. It is a highly regarded oil for diesels.

Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro formula is an easy choice for T1N Sprinters in N. America because it is readily available. Mobil's price points also lubricate a great marketing machine so you will even feel superior when using their products.

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

surlyoldbill

No.
If you do not use Mobil-1 your van will explode, go on a killing spree at a local pre-school, and eventually find it's way to the Middle East and join ISIS. It's a fact. :professor:

No.
If you do not use Mobil-1 your van will explode, go on a killing spree at a local pre-school, and eventually find it's way to the Middle East and join ISIS. It's a fact. :professor:
No, no, no.

That's just silly to think that it will happen like that.

If you do not use Mobil-1 your van will find it's way to the Middle East and join ISIS, go on a killing spree at a local pre-school, and eventually explode.

It's a fact that it can't explode first. :professor:

:crazy: vic

surlyoldbill

No, no, no.

That's just silly to think that it will happen like that.

If you do not use Mobil-1 your van will find it's way to the Middle East and join ISIS, go on a killing spree at a local pre-school, and eventually explode.

It's a fact that it can't explode first. :professor:

:crazy: vic
since when does order of events matter? This is AMERICA!

ajakapari

How many miles do you run that Mobile 1 0-40? Between oil changes ?
I've been thinking to switch from Rottella , but it's been good to me so far! I change every 10k.
Is the mobile good for that?

surlyoldbill

I do every 10k even if I don't need it. With the ASSYST (sp?) feature, the van is supposed to alert you when it's time to change oil. Typically it's between 10-25k if you're using synthetic. driving conditions vary it's lifespan. Synthetic oil doesn't break down like conventional oil, it just gets gunked up. If you drain your syn oil and let it sit undisturbed in a bucket for several weeks, the sediment will settle and the top will be clear, new looking oil.

I don't drive very many miles anymore, so 10k changes are about every 6 months for me. I could probably do 15k without any worries, but it's easier to keep track of 10k, and longer than 6 months seems too long.

How many miles do you run that Mobile 1 0-40? Between oil changes ?
I've been thinking to switch from Rottella , but it's been good to me so far! I change every 10k.
Is the mobile good for that?

My opinion, not supported by MB BeVo.

If you are using a 10,000 mile OCI even being MB228.31 spec the Rotella T6 5w-40 is fine.

My data.

When I was using Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro formula I would get 14,000 - 16,000 mile oil change intervals per the ASSYST maintenance monitor. All of the other brand name synthetic MB229.5 spec oils I use have yielded the same ASSYST intervals. (The science of MB229.5 spec is MB229.5 spec regardless of brand label.)

The ASSYST monitor oil change intervals work out to about 1 year for me. I have no problem waiting that long.

My van is a relative youngster with only 300,000+ miles so far.

:cheers: vic

slowgsr

I run rottela t6 in everything - our little vw tdi, the sprinters, my psd, 6.7 cummins, even goes in our big trucks. The N14 gets expensive when using the t6 stuff!

Top Bottom