PDA

View Full Version : LED License Plate Bulbs

detroitdevo
05-07-2016, 12:58 PM
I have spent some time reading threads as much as I can and I still don't have a definitive answer on this. I bought a set of LEDS for the license plate which work great. After having to change a set of regular bulbs in the snow this winter I said "F" this and got LED's.

Problem is they trip a light on the dash telling me there is bulb out on the License Plate which there isn't. So I contact Super Bright LED's and they gave me a part number to re-order new bulbs that were CAN compatible and voila still no joy, dash reads a bulb is out. Is there a fix or a certain bulb I should get that IS compatible with my 2012 Sprinter?

MikeD99
05-09-2016, 07:16 PM
I think they have to be special CANBUS LED bulbs that cost about 6 dollars each which have a load so that they appear to be the regular energy wasting(!?!) filament type bulbs so as to not trigger the burnt out bulb world HQ overseer computer control command center warning.

They are on Amazon.

I say, "I think" this is the answer because I don't have my Sprinter yet but have read a lot on here about this kind of stuff. I am trying to be helpful despite the snark.

I don't know what "festoon" means in this description but this appears to be what I am talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/SiriusLED-Extreme-Festoon-6418-DE3423/dp/B00MRCK23E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462821032&sr=8-1&keywords=canbus+license+plate+bulbs

I think the energy savings of the CANBUS lighting is negated with the load resistor but you'd prolly never have to change 'em again, snow or shine.

HTH,
Mike D in VA who is going to get these too

PS -- There sure are a lot of emoticons to choose from! I just couldn't decide!

detroitdevo
06-03-2016, 02:42 AM
The license plate bulbs are the CANBUS type but they are not Festoon (which is the shape/style). I drive every day with the error light but I have been checking daily when driving and it seems that the bulbs are working just fine and having the LED is super bright and very nice to have. I just want that dumb warning to go off, so annoying!

highsierrabear
11-10-2016, 07:59 PM
I'm in the same boat. Replaced my anemic 2014 turn and brake lights with the CANBUS LED bulbs. I get the dash bulb warning now, along with the hyperflash on turn signal. Annoying but not mission critical. Totally ridiculous that a 2014 sprinter can't accommodate LED bulbs without freaking out. Also ridiculous to have to install a resistor that negates the 80% or so power savings.

I am also trying to conserve power wherever possible to keep extra amps for charging house batteries.

In the age of texting and driving I now run annoyingly bright brake and turn signal LEDs on the back end of all my vehicles.

lockrob
11-10-2016, 10:58 PM
THE LED sets the light dash light off on an 08.Only thing that didnt was the dome.

Tooth Fairy
11-11-2016, 04:28 AM
You need some resistors wired in to stop the error messages, you have to replicate the original globe resistance load.