PDA

View Full Version : Offical Recall for Driver side Air Bag

3mbusa
05-07-2016, 12:28 AM
I received the Mercedes official letter this week concerning the recall for the driver's side air bag (2012 MB Sprinter 3500). What's a person to-do now except wait for Takata to go belly up, and then maybe someone will design body armor to ware while driving our otherwise wonderful vehicles? :yell:

glas1700
05-07-2016, 02:02 AM
We received a recall notice about the driver's side Takata airbag on our 2009 Honda CR-V about a month ago. Took it to the local Honda dealer and they're paying for a rental SUV until the airbags become available. The Honda is now parked on our driveway until then.

awelder
05-09-2016, 03:37 PM
How hard are they to replace. I see one on Craig List that the guy is selling and the add states he is "selling as it is unsafe to drive, air bag deployed". Can you get one replaced? and for how much? This is 2005 model.

the7bamboo
05-09-2016, 06:42 PM
Got our notice about the passenger side airbag in August of 2015. Still waiting for the replacement here in May of 2016. When I talked with the MB shop manager last month about how long it would be before those replacements were available, he said maybe another 2 or 3 months---maybe. I mentioned it was interesting that it was only the passenger side. He thought so too. Last week, I got the notice for the drivers side bag recall. I'm sure that'll be another year before that one's ready by whoever takes over from Takata after Takata goes down. Mercedes needs to take a more proactive stand. Is there a class action suit? We are losing the use of our vehicles while Takata wallows in the replacement process. Most recent death of a young woman in a Toyota got the comment by Toyota in the news that 'the vehicle owner was notified that the airbags were recalled and needed replacement". As in - you drive these at your own risk.

showkey
05-10-2016, 03:28 AM
notified that the airbags were recalled and needed replacement". As in - you drive these at your own risk.

Not true..........the manufactures have no defense in the case of injury or death, they are in the hook and this liability will last "for ever".......that's why many are offering rentals if they can not supply parts.

This will take years to resolve and many of the bags will never be replaced...
On other recalls a 40-50% repair rate is considered high by the industry. People for what ever reasons do not pay attention to recall notices.

GaryBIS
05-10-2016, 04:39 AM
Hi,
I wonder how the risk of driving with the airbag disconnected but with the belt done up properly compares to driving with the airbag connected and belt done up properly?
In the first case you lose the extra protection provided by the airbag, but no chance of shrapnel from exploding inflator. In 2nd case you get the extra protection of the airbag, but live with the risk of shrapnel.

Just a 3 point belt with no airbag provides pretty good protection.
The table in this pdf seems to indicate that an adult wearing a 3 point seat belt with no air bag gets 48% protection, while an adult passenger wearing a belt and having an airbag gets 54% protection. having the airbag alone with no belt only gives 14% protection.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv18/cd/files/18esv-000500.pdf

Gary

bcislander
03-09-2017, 11:24 PM
Received the Driver Side Airbag recall notice from FCA today. Of course, 'the replacement parts are not available yet, we'll let you know when they are'. :dripsarcasm:

The passenger side recall was done just before Christmas, about a year and a half after receiving that recall letter.
:popcorn:

camillo
03-10-2017, 09:58 AM
What years is the recall for?

bcislander
03-10-2017, 04:33 PM
What years is the recall for?

My recall notice specifies "certain 2007 through 2009 model year Dodge Sprinter vehicles".

Rob S
03-11-2017, 02:22 AM
String of four letter words deleted - Got mine in the mail today too - for my 2008 Navion/2007 Dodge.

The irony is, I just finally got my passenger side done 2 weeks ago at the local Dodge dealer!!

Thought I was free and clear, finally done and dusted, even check the VIN against the website to make sure only passenger side was recalled.

So much for that, now we have a dangerous vehicle again....

bcislander
03-11-2017, 05:51 AM
snip....

Well, it has been dangerous for quite some time now, it's just that you didn't know it was dangerous.

Ignorance is bliss. :smilewink:

Rob S
03-11-2017, 03:44 PM
I was enjoying that, for a very short time!!!!

Not too worried for ourselves really, since the issue seems to be related to high humidity, which we don't have. I keep an electric heater in it over the winter.

However, it sure does a number on our resale value until it's fixed again.

bcislander
03-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Well, we don't live in a very low humidity environment either. IMO, this will have little or no effect on the resale value of our RVs.

showkey
03-11-2017, 04:36 PM
I was enjoying that, for a very short time!!!!

Not too worried for ourselves really, since the issue seems to be related to high humidity, which we don't have. I keep an electric heater in it over the winter.

However, it sure does a number on our resale value until it's fixed again.

It's high humidity and high heat combo that's the real problem........Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas.q
The original recalls going back years were for southern States only.

GA_Boy
03-12-2017, 04:58 AM
Can I pull a fuse to disable my driver side? Safety Police do not respond.
Marvin

showkey
03-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Can I pull a fuse to disable my driver side? Safety Police do not respond.
Marvin

Its possible........is it smart ?????? Depends........

The actual number or injuries and deaths are relatively small compared to the number of bags is service and actual deployments. If your in a accident severe enough to deploy the bag it is possible the bag with do far more good than harm. But there is a risk and more risk if live in the south ( hot humid weather ) that the bag can cause harm. I guess its up to you.........hope you guess correctly in the small chance you have an accident. Georgia ??.......your risk is slightly higher.

Pulling the fuse will cause the air bag light to come on........putting the fuse back in will need the dealer scan tool to turn the light off. If you change your mind.

Maybe get all the facts:
We have not heard if parts are available.......so maybe call the dealer before you decide. My other cars and trucks ( not MB ) have had the bags replaced. One is getting the driver's bag on Monday. Got the letter last week, called the dealer made the appointment......done.

After you talk to the dealer:
If your really concerned call MB or Dodge or Freightliner........demand a rental until the bags can be replaced. Demand a repair, You might be surprised when they say...... we will ship the bag to the dealer tomorrow. They might have a limited supply for the customer service complaints ?????? They may also give you a rental..........many other manufactures are, again for the concerned customer.

Not sure if pulling the fuse will effect any other vehicle functions........you will loose seat belt pretensioners.

Aqua Puttana
03-12-2017, 02:23 PM

Only for the driver.

"This Sprinter is fun to drive. Want to drive for a while?" :thumbup:

Seriously, We always wear our seat belts. I would be very tempted to defeat a shrapnel producing air bag system. There was a poor young girl in Texas who died in a fender bender. The air bag shrapnel killed her.

Good luck.

vic

autostaretx
03-12-2017, 05:42 PM
Not recommended, but...

To defeat just the driver's side (and not the seatbelt squibs, etc), the way to go would be to disconnect the battery, wait 5 minutes, then open up the steering wheel. Unplug only that airbag and install an "airbag jumper" (a two-ohm resistor on a connector) ... that will fool the Sprinter airbag system into thinking that the airbag is still connected. Reassemble the steering wheel and reconnect the battery.
Airbag jumpers are available on eBay (and maybe Amazon)

Powering up the Sprinter with an airbag disconnected lights up the dash indicator, and requires a dealer-reset to clear the code and bulb.

--dick (you didn't hear this from me :whistle:)
Me? I'd leave it "live"

smiller
03-12-2017, 06:18 PM
It should be noted that largest chance of experiencing a catastrophic air bag failure are with vehicles with 'Alpha' inflators (certain 2001 – 2003 Honda and Acura models), which do have an extremely high failure rate such that the vehicle should not be driven until repaired. The expanded recall covers just about anything using a Takita airbag and while there have been failures in the expanded vehicle list the number have been minute vs. the total number in service, so the chances of a vehicle in the expanded list actually having a problem is probably fairly remote. I understand that even an extremely low probability may be too much for some and that's understandable, but just sayin'...

avanti
03-12-2017, 07:05 PM
From what I have seen, there is just no reasonable calculation of risk that would suggest that it is rational to disconnect these airbags, even if you live in soggy Florida. I am not making a moral argument, just a risk/benefit analysis. Saying that something is dangerous is not saying that it isn't also the least dangerous alternative.

Aqua Puttana
03-12-2017, 07:24 PM
... I am not making a moral argument, just a risk/benefit analysis.
:idunno:

In 67 years of living on this planet I can count on one hand the number of people that I'm acquainted with that have had an air bag deploy in an accident. The number is actually far less than 5.

I need both hands + feet for the number of people I know who have had "fender bender" type accidents.

I realize that many of my years on the planet were pre-air bag safety systems.

My risk assessment is that I'm far more likely to get in a fender bender than a crash where an air bag deployment actually saves my life. I'd rather not risk dying because a fender bender deploys a defective shrapnel type air bag. I'll take my chances on the one in a million dramatic Hollywood death crash that needs an air bag.

Different strokes for different folks.

:cheers: vic

avanti
03-12-2017, 08:19 PM
In 67 years of living on this planet I can count on one hand the number of people that I'm acquainted with that have had an air bag deploy in an accident. The number is actually far less than 5.

Well, save me a finger. Had my rear-end clipped at right angles by a speeding young person (likely on a cell-phone). Spun me 180 degrees. Side airbag deployed. Probably didn't save my life, but most certainly changed what would have been a major trip to the hospital into to a roadside phone call to my insurance agent.

When this topic first came up, I checked the actual numbers. It wasn't even close.

autostaretx
03-12-2017, 08:41 PM
And then there are the T1N owners who have rebadged their Sprinters and put something different on the center of the steering wheel.

Which has thus quite likely greatly changed how that cover will shatter if/when the bag deploys.
-----
You can add a "once removed" finger for my niece... her car went off an icy road in New Hampshire and hit a tree. Bag deployed. No personal damage.
It was at a fairly slow speed (easily below 25 mph, i know the curve) and her mother was following in the car behind her (another reason i can vouch for the low speed :rolleyes:).

On the other hand (for those without bags), i bought a friend's scrunched VW Squareback after an accident ... some of the driver's scalp and hair were still embedded in the cracked windshield (he himself actually suffered fairly little damage).

Unfortunately, my old-fart-hood means that i don't have ingrained the proper hands-on-wheels positioning habits to avoid broken arms in the event of a deployment. Usually i'm ok, but sometimes the full wheel-sweep just slips through...

--dick

showkey
03-13-2017, 12:05 AM
It should be noted that largest chance of experiencing a catastrophic air bag failure are with vehicles with 'Alpha' inflators (certain 2001 2003 Honda and Acura models), which do have an extremely high failure rate such that the vehicle should not be driven until repaired. The expanded recall covers just about anything using a Takita airbag and while there have been failures in the expanded vehicle list the number have been minute vs. the total number in service, so the chances of a vehicle in the expanded list actually having a problem is probably fairly remote. I understand that even an extremely low probability may be too much for some and that's understandable, but just sayin'...

As the other vehicles in the recall age their failure will likely rise to same levels. This is a time in service and environmental issue. The other issue in play is the replacement bags might need another recall in the future.

smiller
03-13-2017, 01:09 AM
As the other vehicles in the recall age their failure will likely rise to same levels. This is a time in service and environmental issue. The other issue in play is the replacement bags might need another recall in the future.
The initial units exhibiting the extremely high failure rate had a specific fault that was rectified in production before units went into Sprinters so it's highly unlikely the later units will ever see the same incidence of failure, or even close (outside of the Honda units there have been only a few documented failures in millions of installed airbags.) It is true that any airbag with an ammonium nitrate propellant charge can degrade over time but again, this is not the same kind of urgent issue as in the original problem. Current production replacements either include a desiccant or use a different propellant (guanidine nitrate) so in theory there should not need to be repeat repairs at this point (we hope...)

I'm by no means saying that the issue should be ignored, just trying to point out that magnitude of risk has to be considered. Statistically we're orders of magnitude more likely to be injured or killed in a motor vehicle by a traffic accident than an airbag, yet we still pull out of the driveway every morning.

showkey
03-13-2017, 03:37 AM
Only time will tell, there is reason the newer 2012 vehicles have made the recall list for some manufactures.

The desiccant will slow the degrade........but........likely not enough to satisfy the FEDS or the lawyers. Same for the reinforced canisters.......they got recalled too.

As far as Sprinters go..........there might not be many 15 year old Sprinters on the road:bash:
Due to high mileage, rust and high cost of repairs.

I agree the risks are low but should not be ignored. Many recalls get less than 50% of the cars repaired on the road for various reasons. Those that ignore the recall are the largest worries for the manufactures as the Fleet ages.

GA_Boy
04-05-2017, 06:58 PM
I received a letter 3-4 days ago stating that my dealer had the replacement for the driver side.
Appointment tomorrow.:thumbup:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A load off me.
Marvin

GA_Boy
04-06-2017, 07:29 PM
I received a letter 3-4 days ago stating that my dealer had the replacement for the driver side.
Appointment tomorrow.:thumbup:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A load off me.
Marvin
UPDATE---------UPDATE-----------------UPDATE---------------------UPDATE
After removing the Driver Side AB the Technician discovered that there was a difference in Freightliner and Mercedes badge Sprinters.
Naturally they didn't have mine for the Freightliner. Will have tomorrow.
100 mile 2way trip for nothing.
MORAL of the story--------------let the dealer know what the badge is before your visit.
My Tech didn't know there a difference.
Marvin

Boxster1971
04-06-2017, 08:08 PM
UPDATE---------UPDATE-----------------UPDATE---------------------UPDATE
After removing the Driver Side AB the Technician discovered that there was a difference in Freightliner and Mercedes badge Sprinters.
Naturally they didn't have mine for the Freightliner. Will have tomorrow.
100 mile 2way trip for nothing.
MORAL of the story--------------let the dealer know what the badge is before your visit.
My Tech didn't know there a difference.
Marvin

Yes the difference is the badge on the airbag cover that is part of the assemble being replaced. See linked example on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/282416864570

GA_Boy
04-06-2017, 09:55 PM
Boxter1971, Interesting, I didn't know that the cover (Decal) was part of the DS airbag.
Thanks, Marvin

Sparkx
04-13-2017, 01:41 PM
I received my recall for driver side a few days ago. I made an appointment for today. Im at Mercedes now getting both driver and passenger sides fixed.

Sparkx
04-13-2017, 03:53 PM
All done with the recall. To my surprise I got in my Sprinter to that new car smell and a brand new steering wheel. I was considering one of those steering wheel covers because my old one was in bad shape but no need to cover my new one.

bcislander
04-13-2017, 04:05 PM
All done with the recall. To my surprise I got in my Sprinter to that new car smell and a brand new steering wheel. snip...

I too got the DS recall notice indicating that the airbag replacement parts were available. The letter did indicate that the steering wheel may require replacement. The van isn't registered right now, so I won't be taking it in for a while.

OrioN
04-13-2017, 04:20 PM
The van isn't registered right now, so I won't be taking it in for a while.

Here fishy, fishy, fishy....

Frank Mc
04-13-2017, 04:23 PM
All done with the recall. To my surprise I got in my Sprinter to that new car smell and a brand new steering wheel. I was considering one of those steering wheel covers because my old one was in bad shape but no need to cover my new one.

will Merc. do this work on a Dodge or Frieghtliner ?

OrioN
04-13-2017, 04:44 PM
will Merc. do this work on a Dodge or Frieghtliner ?

I just got of the phone with my MB dealer. They confirmed what I was told a ways back regarding recalls... MB Canada cannot do any recalls. They do not have access to the Dodge vehicle database, and part of the Daimler/Chrysler divorce settlement laid the responsibility($$$) on Chrysler.

Just called local Dodge dealer and they are checking on parts stock as we speak.....

UPDATE: Passenger side bag is in stock, Driver side is on order (coming from USA) and should be in in a week. My VIN came up driver side bag only, no steering wheel replacement.

Sparkx
04-13-2017, 09:00 PM
I have a Freightliner and Mercedes did the work...hot coffee and cookies included

Rob S
04-14-2017, 12:28 AM
I called my local Dodge dealer in Parksville, BC today, and he booked me in for next Thursday, says he'll order the parts, now we wait and see if the said parts actually arrive.

I finally got my passenger side done at said same dealer a few weeks ago, and lo and behold the following week the notice for the driver side arrived in may mail....

I'm going to wear the thing out just driving back and forth to get the free recalls performed!!!

bcislander
04-14-2017, 12:29 AM
Here fishy, fishy, fishy....

Soon. :thumbup:

bcislander
04-14-2017, 12:34 AM
I called my local Dodge dealer in Parksville, BC today, and he booked me in for next Thursday, says he'll order the parts, now we wait and see if the said parts actually arrive.

I finally got my passenger side done at said same dealer a few weeks ago, and lo and behold the following week the notice for the driver side arrived in may mail....

I'm going to wear the thing out just driving back and forth to get the free recalls performed!!!

I had the passenger side airbag replaced at the local, non-Sprinter, Courtenay Dodge dealer. Hardly any driving involved, compared to what I would have had to drive to Parksville. :smilewink:

Bendsprinter
04-14-2017, 06:56 PM
My dealer said that the parts are not available for the S14 (Drivers Side 2007) yet. Checked with Chrysler chat and they said May 2017... Passenger is available now though. Wondering if that is because they have to replace the steering wheel in the 2007?? Hoping that fixes the windshield washer not working as a side benefit.

OrioN
04-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Soon. :thumbup:

We should get Rob out and abooot and come fishing with us, then he can put some real kilometerage on his rig.

Scampermobile
04-15-2017, 05:11 AM
Figured I would insert my couple of pennies here... I have (had) a 2011 4runner limited with a recall notice to the passenger airbag, this vehicle is used for business and for personal use and my business insurance told me if I drive a vehicle knowing there is an open recall I am liable to any injuries... okay so i told my local dealer I want fair market value for my runner and I will buy a brand new TRD Pro, they opted to supply me with a "like for like" rental, that was like pulling teeth but they stepped up and rented me a AWD hybrid highlander fully loaded. I have been driving that for the last 8 months with my 4runner sitting on the dealers lot. I bug them constantly about my vehicle and they never have any information. During this rental car time period i have had a few issues with things and their service manager is a major douche so we don't get along, so I kept going back to getting me the TRD Pro and buying my vehicle. Well finally a TRD pro showed up and the GM backed out of the deal and offered me like 8k below market for my runner I told him to pound sand.
Fast forward a few months and I am driving by the dealer and wanted to check on my rig, I dropped in unannounced and said I want to see my car and proceeded to walk to the back of the lot where it is parked. two tires were obviously low, the windshield was cracked, the sunshade was gone from the windshield, there was a softball size dent in the hood, and the entire vehicle was covered in sand, like 2" inside the gas tank door.
I made the GM an offer pay me 25k for my truck (smack in the middle of KBB pricing) or return it to me in the same condition I dropped it off in. 4 days later we closed the books on owning a 4 runner and he bought me out.

for those of you going through this with any make or model all your vehicles have been flagged and their value has taken a hit, flex this on your dealer for what its worth. Im not saying everyone will get a buy back I only got mine because they let my truck get wrecked on their lot. Ultimately it was wash no one will come out ahead.

The facts as I understand them are that 70 million inflators need to be replaced and 1 million are being made each month. There are 3 companies stepping up to increase production but its still slow as hell. The other option is to offer to buy a new air bag, I have heard people can buy a new airbag today but are told they will need to wait months for a recall replacement part.

Rob S
04-15-2017, 06:53 PM
We should get Rob out and abooot and come fishing with us, then he can put some real kilometerage on his rig.

The rig has about 170,500 kms (106k miles) on it now, the last 35,000 of which are mine.

During my time, it has been south to California, Arizona and New Mexico near the Mexican border, through Death Valley from west to east towing a trailer with our motorbikes in it, and east to Kotenays and Alberta, and Montana, West to Tofino, and north to Smithers, BC, across the Whistler-Pemberton-Lillooet duffy lake road a few times, including the gravel roads over to Goldbridge, and the Summerland-Princeton backroad as well.

On our last trip we chatted up a neighbouring camper, and he gave us some trout he had just caught, that is as close to fishing as it has got. Although we did lots of paddling around in our inflatable canoe.

To keep slightly on topic, most of the above was driven with an outstanding recall on the passenger airbag, with one of us in harms way during that time.

Goes to show - Fishing is not required to put on the km's.

wanderso
06-11-2017, 04:17 PM
I had our Passenger side air bag replaced on 11/28/16 and received notice in March 2017 about the driver's side air bag. Parts appear to be in now. I had the driver's side air bag installed on 6/5/17. In the end, you get a brand new steering wheel. A recall is a pain, but it's nice to have brand new ones on a 2007 NCV3 chassis. (Winnebago View Motorhome)

alaskagwagen
08-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Well, I joined the ranks of all of you with Takata airbags as I contemplate the purchase of a 2007 Dodge badged 2500.

The Freightliner dealer cannot access Dodge data so I trotted off to the Dodge dealer. They were very helpful and the salesman looked up the VIN in the safercar.gov website and it shows a recall for driver and passenger sides both. He regaled me with stories of airbag/grenades going off in car cockpits killing people. Then I went to the Dodge service department who pulled their report from the specific Dodge database which shows current and completed recalls. There was one uncompleted recall for an occupant restraint module but nothing for the airbags. Hmmm. They cannot explain the discrepancy. Freightliner who is doing the prepurchase inspection today said to call the "government" and find out. Dodge said they can do the recall work but won't if their database says it is not needed.

Any ideas? I am not freaking out about this as I live in a non-humid area and the odds are certainly in my favor. It is interesting though as others pointed out, it does impact your trade in cost hugely. Apparently, for private sales, there is no need to account for recalls but a dealer has to and that can reduce trade in value by 1/2 or more.

Also interestingly enough, the ignorance about the Dodge sprinter continues, the young man I dealt with was probably in diapers in 2007 and so an older salesman was explaining that the 2007 Dodge sprinter was a dodge-built chassis with a mercedes engine. Oh my!

This is what I get for finally contemplating getting a car new enough to have airbags!!!

Adam

smiller
08-01-2017, 08:29 PM
He regaled me with stories of airbag/grenades going off in car cockpits killing people.
For the 2001-3003 Honda/Acura vehicles specified in the initial recall, yes, there have been many serious/fatal accidents and theses vehicle should not be driven until repaired. Then Takata made some manufacturing changes which eliminated the most egregious problems, but by then the NTHSA decided that the fundamental design was flawed and ordered a recall of millions of additional vehicles and assessed a $1 billion penalty against Takita to cover the cost of the recall, which of course promptly caused Takata to declare bankruptcy. I'm not familiar enough with the details of airbag design to comment on whether the expanded recall was warranted or not, but FWIW the failure rate among the later groups of vehicles added to the recall is very small so I personally wouldn't worry about driving them until the bags can be replaced.

showkey
08-01-2017, 09:41 PM
If the values is reduced by 50% the case action on the vehicles value would cost more than the airbag recall !!!! Total BS......

The Dodge dealers have the driver and passenger bags in stock.......had mine done last month, no waiting, no question, no hasssle.
All of these bags have a potenial.........the problems occurs with age ( plus environmental) ........that's why the early Acccord 2001 are the most common to currently have injuries. As tthese bags age ( plus the environment) they ALL have the potential. Yes........... humid areas southeast including TEXAS to Florida have the most concern. Honda had more takata bags, it's only a matter of time before others manufactures start "popping" up. 2012 vehicles are on the list now.

Private sale has no responsibility........a dealer Dodge or MB can not leagally sell a Sprinter where any safety recall has not been completed.

smiller
08-01-2017, 11:16 PM
All of these bags have a potenial.........the problems occurs with age ( plus environmental) ........that's why the early Acccord 2001 are the most common to currently have injuries.
Just FWIW age is not the sole reason for the more severe problems with the earlier units, those were also of a different design. Subsequent NTHSA actions have called into question all ammonium nitrate based inflators and all may have the potential (a very encompassing word) of eventual problems, but to date the actual failure rate of the the later units has been extremely low. I'd still agree with replacing them in your vehicle, only saying that there's no demonstrated reason to be overly concerned until you can get it done.