PDA

View Full Version : Updating Steering Wheel and Air Bag

GerryLH
05-02-2016, 02:54 AM
Hi. I have a 2008 Sprinter and I want to update the Steering wheel to the 2015-2016 model. From a mechanical perspective, will it fit?

I know the 2015 steering wheel has multifunction controls for the radio/phone, and my 2008 does not. But I imagine I can add the wiring harness for that. I don't know if the wiring for the airbag is different between the 2008 and the modern wheel though.

The reason I would go through this trouble is that the 2015 airbags have not been recalled, whereas the prior years have been recalled, and replacement bags will be delayed a long time. I am going to South America, and hot and humid climate - conditions that increase the likelihood of airbag failure. The pictures of these airbag failures are not pretty.

Any insights on the steering wheel fit issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

pfflyer
05-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Not all 2015's come with the steering wheel multifunction control buttons so that is an option for you. My 2013 has them and my 2015 don't. I don't know how many times I tried adjusting the radio volume with non-existent buttons. As far as your question goes I don't have a clue.

showkey
05-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Updating would be a NIGHTMARE.
Adding the modules, wiring and getting the CAN software to work would be monumental task not to mention different vendor suppliers issues.
The air bag parts alone would not to the same and if their not recalled they are like a different vendor or a different system all together.

sleeper bird
05-04-2016, 01:03 AM
I agree would be a nightmare.