Seat belt retractor stuck

Treesner

any easy fixes to make the seat belts retract faster on ncv3? Mine retract very slow and sometimes not at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 50714

Re: sestbelt stuck

Well, I noticed a day has passed and you have yet to receive a response from the colossal, collective knowledge and genius of this forum.

Don't be discouraged, I will extend a virtue of Christian goodwill and sincerely attempt to help you solve your problem.

Over the years, I have experienced a similar pesky problem many times with many different makes and models. Unfortunately, my extensive efforts at resolution were met with limited success. Once, on an Isuzu, I disassembled the retracting device in a feeble attempt to re-clock the coiled seatbelt in relation to the clockspring to increase seat belt tension. The clock spring functions in the same manner as a recoil starter on a lawnmower. Don't try this unless you're a master watchmaker, which I'm not but always wanted to be. It's time-consuming, frustrating and results not worth the effort. My subsequent brainstorm was to saturate the inner workings of the seatbelt retracting contraption with non-residue lubricant. I enjoyed limited retraction improvement with this approach. Try it!

In my opinion, automotive manufacturers should incorporate an adjustment feature so the consumer can adjust seat belt retraction force to their individual satisfaction.

Anyway, in the final scheme of life, this is one of those pesky issues of car ownership we sometimes have to endure.

May your future seatbelts always retract!
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

moondawg14

any easy fixes to make the seat belts retract faster on ncv3? Mine retract very slow and sometimes not at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was a recall for certain versions.

My 2011 was not covered under the recall. I had a seatbelt that would not retract at all. I ordered a new mechanism from MB and installed it myself. Royal pain in the tuchis.

But the belt retracts now.

Take the plastic back off of the seat and verify that the seatback cover (or anything else) is not pressing on the belt mechanism. I noticed that the part I got had a slightly different design that "protected" the mechanism from things that might rub up against the belt and keep it from moving smoothly.

showkey

Sometimes the upper "D" ring gets a waxy build up crud.........creating friction....... Clean with alcohol.

Treesner

There was a recall for certain versions.

My 2011 was not covered under the recall. I had a seatbelt that would not retract at all. I ordered a new mechanism from MB and installed it myself. Royal pain in the tuchis.

But the belt retracts now.

Take the plastic back off of the seat and verify that the seatback cover (or anything else) is not pressing on the belt mechanism. I noticed that the part I got had a slightly different design that "protected" the mechanism from things that might rub up against the belt and keep it from moving smoothly.
I need to look that up mine is a 2007 dodge 2500. it feels very dangerous as when you pull it out some it doesn't go back on its own at all you have to thread it back in then it locks

Bringing this thread back....

Any ideas on this? My passenger belt almost never retracts on its own and now the drivers belt is having difficulty.

I've tried cleaning it which seemed to help a little but did not fix the issue. Would people recommend a rebuild or buying OEM replacement? Any after market alternatives?

OEM are like $350 each which although not terrible, they are pretty spendy.

Eric Experience

Mack,
The answer is the same as it was 5 years ago. You need to wash the webbing properly, you know you have cleaned it when the webbing feels very flexible when running through your fingers. Compare the feel with a new car or the back seat of a car that never caries passengers. Eric.

Mack,
The answer is the same as it was 5 years ago. You need to wash the webbing properly, you know you have cleaned it when the webbing feels very flexible when running through your fingers. Compare the feel with a new car or the back seat of a car that never caries passengers. Eric.
Thanks I will try washing again... is it very unlikely I would need to do more than that? If it doesn't yield results what's the next option?

Eric Experience

Mack.

The seat belts are made to a very high standard, the mechanical s are not the problem. Get your mum to show you how to wash the webbing. Eric.

dharmasprint

Thanks I will try washing again... is it very unlikely I would need to do more than that? If it doesn't yield results what's the next option?
The next option is to remove the b pillar cover to try and determine if there might be crud or plastic from the cover impeding the belt from retracting. The return spring isn't very strong, so even a slight increase in friction will cause problems.

I had removed both of the covers to do my build out and encountered this problem with both belts. Currently, the passenger side works fine after the rnr, while the driver's side is sporadic.

The next option is to remove the b pillar cover to try and determine if there might be crud or plastic from the cover impeding the belt from retracting. The return spring isn't very strong, so even a slight increase in friction will cause problems.

I had removed both of the covers to do my build out and encountered this problem with both belts. Currently, the passenger side works fine after the rnr, while the driver's side is sporadic.
Yeah I'm thinking its likely something like this.... when I bypass the pillar loop it seems to retract with reasonable force although not super strong. The problem is I can't seem to figure out how I could decrease the friction here.

Top Bottom