Service manual

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 50714

You are very welcome my plastic, tree hugging friend. :smirk:

BTW, should have told you, you need an old version of Internet Explorer to use it, and most likely XP.
Mr. freeze:

LOL! Internet, what the blue blazes is that? Unfortunately, where I am living I cannot get the Internet. The cable ends about 200 feet from my house and the Internet pukes won't extend it unless I cough up $14,000. Yup, $70 a linear foot. It's that damn newfangled plastic fiber optics probably made from recycled plastic dip sticks. The killing part about it is I have a state of the art trencher but they won't let me dig a millimeter. Even if I do it for free. So I have to conduct all my business from my iPhone. And once I go completely blind from squinting at this screen, i'm going to sue them into the next millennium. But I'll be willing to settle out of court. Enough of my drivel.

Thank you anyway for the effort. I guess I've hurt the itty-bitty feelings of others who may have the information but don't want to share it. So much for Christian values.

May all your journeys be free of DTC's, CEL's and MIL's.

Plastic Treehugger Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
LOL! Internet, what the blue blazes is that? Unfortunately, where I am living I cannot get the Internet. The cable ends about 200 feet from my house and the Internet pukes won't extend it unless I cough up $14,000. ... So I have to conduct all my business from my iPhone.
.. if you're serious about that, i can think of at least 4 ways to get fast internet in your house.
At least two of them are fully legal, one would require power (or the end of your trench) at the street near the fiber, and the 4th would require a cooperative neighbor and would probably skirt the edges (well, tromp all over the hedge) of the internet provider's terms of service.

The first two are easy:
(1) if your iPhone supports it, activate its "tethering" abilities to feed the rest of your house. It becomes a WiFi 'hotspot'.
(2) buy a "dongle" from your cell phone service that would attach to your home PC and directly connect it to your cell service's data plan.

3rd one: got a shed out at the street? (if not, put one). Have the fiber folks put their end-point *there*. It will require power, but you could put the fiber box's power supply in your house and run its 12v feed to the fiber box through your trenched conduit. From the shed, just run Cat 5e or Cat6 cable back to your house. (Cat 5e is good for 300 feet) During the installation period, it wouldn't hurt to have your home PC or a laptop out there in the shed (er,... your "office") for the fiber installers to play with.

4th: offer to offset some of a neighbor's cost of their service for the privilege of running Cat5e from their house to yours. Don't tell the fiber folks, they'd probably get upset. :whistle:

--dick

Last edited:

icarus

You don't even need a shed. A small solar panel, a good deep cycle battery and a sursine 300 inverter to power a modem, transmitter and extender. All told draws about 25 watts. 24 hours is 600 wh. From 12 Vdc that is about 50 ah. Remote switch it and use only when you need, say 8 hours/day that is less than 20 ah.

I a good location, a 100 watt solar panel will deliver net/net including all cumulative loses and factoring in weather and season~ 16 ah (12 vdc) day on average over the course of the year. Depending on your location, it would be even better if you don't have shading, good exposure and good weather.

My 400 watt off grid system delivers about 1kwh (85 ah 12 Vdc day in and day out all year long. I actually gt more harvest in the winter even though the days a shorter, but less shading, cooler PV temps and much reflection off of ice and snow.

Icarus

D

Deleted member 50714

:thinking:Man, and I am not being sarcastic, but all of you guys are geniuses! I guess I have some homework to do.:thinking:Thank you!:thumbup:

D

Deleted member 50714

Talk about feeling stuuuupid!:lol: I am currently writing this on my laptop. It took me less than three minutes to configure. :censored:Time Warner!

Thank you so much!:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::lol::lol::lol::lol::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::cheers: You guys are awesome!:hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

I love my Sprinter now!:lol::lol::thumbup:

I have that CD based manual. It is for the earlier NCV3 (think the Dodge branded product and years). I found it was of little help to me with my 2012. It is probably even less relevant to your 2015. The things that I hoped to be able to use included wiring diagrams (including wire color codes) but my wiring and that on the CD are just enough different to make it largely useless.

Most of the things I have wanted to do, such as dismantling the interior and dash board for insulation and a new stereo, could be figured out by just doing it. But when I really needed some technical guidance for other things and referred to the CD it seemed like that van and mine were very different.

MB does not offer a service manual any longer (same is true for a number of other marques). Instead you have to subscribe to a technical information service that gives you access to service documentation online (I have not done thins as the price is fairly steep). I understand that you can print or save what you look at when logged into to that database.

D

Deleted member 50714

A pleasure to see your text Walter and meet you as well. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I was disappointed to learn a hard copy service manual was not available. However, I understand why, way too voluminous.

Best regards,
Bob

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
However, I understand why, way too voluminous.
No, it would certainly fit on a DVD if they desired to publish it that way. It's simply more profitable to use a subscription-based service. You can bet that convenience for the private owner/end user is not even a distant thought to them.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
No, it would certainly fit on a DVD if they desired to publish it that way. It's simply more profitable to use a subscription-based service. You can bet that convenience for the private owner/end user is not even a distant thought to them.
No.

I would not make that bet.

Can you share some experience that dictates your choice?

:popcorn:

D

Deleted member 50714

No, I meant too voluminous and expensive to print in book format. I like books. They don't need batteries, pages don't flicker and strain my eyes and are more enjoyable to read while in my natural, recumbent position.

No doubt about it, the consumer's best interest is not in the forefront of corporate short or long term plan.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
No, I meant too voluminous and expensive to print in book format. I like books. They don't need batteries, pages don't flicker and strain my eyes and are more enjoyable to read while in my natural, recumbent position.

No doubt about it, the consumer's best interest is not in the forefront of corporate short or long term plan.
The T1N Service Manual CD, if printed out, would generate five manuals.

The thickest is the main service manual: about 1200 to 1400 pages (depending upon specific year)
The next four manuals are the subsystem diagnostic manuals (error codes and what steps to take, what components to suspect). Just shy of 300 pages each for the Body and Powertrain, only 140 for the Transmission.

Due to the way MB builds the Sprinter (don't install wiring and mounting brackets for non-existent options), what's in the CD books does NOT necessarily match what's in your Sprinter to an exact level.

The CD does not contain: the owner's manual, the parts catalogs, the warranty and the "owner's maintenance" manuals.

The biggest advantage of the electronic manuals is the ability to use Acrobat's SEARCH function to find the numerous other subsections that are constantly referred to (such as removal of something required to reach something buried deeper). In "Ye olden days" the paper manuals had the same cross-referencing, which was always a right royal pain.

---------
To compare the MB Sprinter's documentation to my 2010 Kia Rondo, KIA makes access to the online service manual set free...
Like the NCV3, KIA's is no longer arranged as a single "manual", but is a messy tree-structured website. Yes, you can eventually find things, but for the neophyte visitor, it's kind'a overwhelming. By the 5th visit (if you survive that long), the structure gradually becomes more navigable (which is not the same as saying "understandable").
One can buy a "copy" from KIA, but the only package is the entire KIA line... for $5k. Individual models were not available when i asked.

--dick

Last edited:
FWIW...A dual layer Blu-Ray DVD would hold about a million pages in PDF format. A standard DVD would hold about 100,000 pages.

The last years that Audi had service manuals available thru Bentley Publishers was 2009 and those came on DVD. I dont know how much capacity was used. The previous generation of Audi manuals (up to about 2001) fit on a CD but even those are now sold on a DVD.

Top Bottom