OM647 EGR humming high pitch noise

babaface

HI all
i have a high pitch noise on my 06 sprinter. i hear it when i turn the engine off and the open the hood. when i unplug the egr the nose is gone. when i plug it, its back .i noticed if i turn the ignition on and off couple of times the noise is gone.
also when i hear the noise i notice the cluster mileage area light stays on,and does not go off after exiting the truck and closing the door .
so to avoid this ,each time before exiting the truck, i go ignition on-off-on-off and the noise stops.
basically if dash light stays on, egr power is on ,and humming nose is on. even draining the battery over the weekend without the on-off-on-off method
is there a solution for this
thank you

rlent

Re: Egr humming high pitch noise

The EGR is designed to open and close several times I think at engine off to keep it from getting stuck/clogged up - if yours is staying on beyond a few minutes then there is something wrong with the EGR valve itself or the component that controls it.

sikwan

06 Tin Can

How long does the noise stay?

I hear the "eeeeee" sound for a few seconds after I take out the key (no cycling).

babaface

if i do not turn the ignition key on-off-on-off it stays on till it drains the battery

MXHauler

Also wondering if any update or resolution to this issue. My 2005 is doing the same thing (high pitch noise)...except it does stop on it's own. I'm inclined to thinking it's not an issue as I don't seem to have any change in performance. Additionally, when the noise is present...I can get it to stop by just lightly touching the EGR Valve on top where the part# placard sits. Just a light touch...kind of strange...but noise goes on/off/on/off as I touch/release/touch/release? Anyone else experience this or know if it's a sign of EGR going bad? - Thanks.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence

This is a pretty normal thing in any magnetic/coil driven assembly that uses high frequency PWM signals.

The EGRs position is regulated by the PWM signal in the kilohertz range from the ECU/ECM. if the coil mounting is slightly loose or there is enough "give" the body will resonate at an audible frequency. Adding some additional weight or pressure dampens the noise.

Last edited:

And to verify.

The NAS aka NAFTA 2004 - 2006 OM647 engines have a programmed EGR cleaning cycle after every engine shutdown. It operates the valve using PWM control as described above during that cleaning.

It seems that some EGR valves are noisier than others, or some people just have better hearing. :idunno:

vic

Added:
PWM = Pulse Width Modulation

Last edited:

Mine was also making this noise. I just pulled it out and found it was pretty well jammed up. I spent about an hour spraying it with carb clean and working the little impeller. Got it mostly moving again so my fingers are crossed that it will last a while longer.

xplormor

New to this forum, and to the world of Sprinters. After several Landcruiser builds, a growing family has dictated a larger adventure rig.

Curious if the OP ever figured out the issue (or anyone a solution) with the EGR. I have an identical situation with an otherwise wonderful 2004 passenger T1N. When I turn off the engine, remove the key, the high-pitched “whine” from the EGR is heard/ dash odometer light stays illuminated until the battery drains. I can mitigate this issue by cycling the key on/ off a few times, however this doesn’t seem normal to me. I am afraid long term damage to the EGR, and ultimately the emission system, will occur.

Could there be a short on the positive side of the valve causing it to stay on? I’m a novice at best when it comes to electrical issues, and my highly recommended Sprinter mechanic in Atlanta has never encountered this issue. Any help is appreciated...

Thanks in advance for the time and help!

Cheers!
Brooks

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
New to this forum, and to the world of Sprinters. After several Landcruiser builds, a growing family has dictated a larger adventure rig.

Curious if the OP ever figured out the issue (or anyone a solution) with the EGR. I have an identical situation with an otherwise wonderful 2004 passenger T1N. When I turn off the engine, remove the key, the high-pitched “whine” from the EGR is heard/ dash odometer light stays illuminated until the battery drains. I can mitigate this issue by cycling the key on/ off a few times, however this doesn’t seem normal to me. I am afraid long term damage to the EGR, and ultimately the emission system, will occur.

Could there be a short on the positive side of the valve causing it to stay on? I’m a novice at best when it comes to electrical issues, and my highly recommended Sprinter mechanic in Atlanta has never encountered this issue. Any help is appreciated...

Thanks in advance for the time and help!

Cheers!
Brooks
Has your Sprinter had the 'T21 Recall' performed? If so this will be the cause of your problems.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57401

Keith.

Top Bottom