PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Sprinter Recall

ISS
04-25-2016, 04:17 AM
Hello All!
Just a few days ago got a letter from Mercedes-Benz about '' Important Safety Recall - 2016020010 ''
NHTSA Recall # 16V-077 - Driver-side Airbag Module.
So, How many of You recently receive the same letter or something like that? What is Your next step?

GregT
04-25-2016, 04:28 AM
I got mine. The letter said that the parts are not yet available and that they would notify me when they are. It also stated that vehicles that are used in high humidity conditions are more likely to have the problem.

ISS
04-25-2016, 04:34 AM
I got mine. The letter said that the parts are not yet available and that they would notify me when they are. It also stated that vehicles that are used in high humidity conditions are more likely to have the problem.

Thanks for reply.
Same here. So, will see who else or how many of us got it

Bacho
04-25-2016, 10:55 AM
I think its related to the same recall for the Takata airbag recall which was big news last year. 85 million cars or so.... could be a while before we see those parts.

Ben Carufel
04-29-2016, 11:01 PM
I got the same letter for my '08 (Dodge branded) Sprinter. However, I've converted the front and rear emblems to MBZ...so this recall has me wondering if there's some way I can take this opportunity to somehow get a Mercedes Benz logo airbag installed at the dealer...

RailwayRog
04-29-2016, 11:35 PM
got the same letter

Boxster1971
05-01-2016, 04:29 PM
I got the same letter for my '08 (Dodge branded) Sprinter. However, I've converted the front and rear emblems to MBZ...so this recall has me wondering if there's some way I can take this opportunity to somehow get a Mercedes Benz logo airbag installed at the dealer...

The repair will only be made by FCA since your VIN is a Dodge. MBZ dealer won't touch it for a recall repair since they won't get reimbursed by MBZ.

GerryLH
05-01-2016, 05:46 PM
I received the recall notice for my 2008 sprinter. I am getting ready to leave on an extended trip to South America and would like new airbags installed before then. The 2015 and newer sprinters use different drivers side airbags on a different steering wheel than the 2008. My question is can a 2015 steering wheel fit a 2008 sprinter from a mechanical point of view ( I know I would have to add the wiring for the multifunction controls) ?

Thanks in advance if you know the answer......

the7bamboo
05-09-2016, 06:30 PM
Got our notice about the passenger side airbag in August of 2015. Still waiting for the replacement here in May of 2016. When I talked with the MB shop manager last month about how long it would be before those replacements were available, he said maybe another 2 or 3 months---maybe. I mentioned it was interesting that it was only the passenger side. He thought so too. Last week, I got the notice for the drivers side bag recall. I'm sure that'll be another year before that one's ready by whoever takes over from Takata after Takata goes down. Mercedes needs to take a more proactive stand. Is there a class action suit? We are losing the use of our vehicles while Takata wallows in the replacement process. Most recent death of a young woman in a Toyota got the comment by Toyota in the news that 'the vehicle owner was notified that the airbags were recalled and needed replacement". As in - you drive these at your own risk.

Boxster1971
05-10-2016, 02:42 PM
I received the recall notice for my 2008 sprinter. I am getting ready to leave on an extended trip to South America and would like new airbags installed before then. The 2015 and newer sprinters use different drivers side airbags on a different steering wheel than the 2008. My question is can a 2015 steering wheel fit a 2008 sprinter from a mechanical point of view ( I know I would have to add the wiring for the multifunction controls) ?

Thanks in advance if you know the answer......

I don't have a definitive answer to your question, but you bring up an intersting point. Obviously MB is selling some new Sprinters with airbags that are not effected by this recall. So why can't they offer a fix based on the new good parts they are now using in production, even if it means replacing the steering wheel?

showkey
05-10-2016, 03:24 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
None of these air bag parts are plug and play between air bag manufactures. Not mention even a year or model change might have different system. Bags and modules are "tuned" for the vehicle......new bags Ned to developed and tested to be sure the actually meet the original standards.

If it was possible to bolt in a newer model bag the air bag Control module would likely need to changed. Costing even more money and more parts issues.

With 40 million bags with 14 vehicle manufactures with some dating back tens years needing to be replaced just making the bags is going to be a HUGE undertaking. Making 40 million of anything is not easy add the complexity ( safety, explosive, multiple systems, multiple manufactures) of air bags makes this almost impossible. There are estimates they will need to replace a 118 million bags world wide.

Takata going bankrupt is NOT going to help this situation. The fact they lost new vehicle bag business makes the problem even worse.

Doing this wrong could be worse than doing nothing.

Boxster1971
06-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Bloomberg Businessweek just published an article on the Takata airbag mess. It's a good summary of how this mess went so wrong. Only good news is the problem seems to mostly involve airbags over five years since manufacture and used in hot, humid climates.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-06-02/sixty-million-car-bombs-inside-takata-s-air-bag-crisis

Ben Carufel
11-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Just as a follow-up, I got a letter last week that the passenger side is also defective. They apparently already have the parts to fix it. Still no parts for the drivers side.

b1xcra35
11-10-2016, 11:27 PM
Can the airbag be disabled while we wait for parts anyone?

MacAlan

avanti
11-10-2016, 11:42 PM
Can the airbag be disabled while we wait for parts anyone?

MacAlan

Doesn't make statistical sense. As I understand it, it is still MUCH safer to have the airbag protection even with the tiny risk that it will malfunction. The number of actual incidents that have occurred is tiny.

showkey
11-11-2016, 12:02 AM
What avanti said...........especially for a Canada vehicle. The mast majority of the problem is with vehicles in operation in prolonged hot humid weather like the southeast US.

Old Crows
11-11-2016, 01:49 AM
Doesn't make statistical sense. As I understand it, it is still MUCH safer to have the airbag protection even with the tiny risk that it will malfunction. The number of actual incidents that have occurred is tiny.

Probably true. The question is.... How do you define "high" humidity? We'd think of Florida and Houston. Or coud you have a micro climate. Any damp weather where moisture would collect on cold metal parts that are below the dew point. Like a van in coastal WA where the driver is constantly getting in/out or doors are opened. If moisture can ollect on the windows and interior metal bits....it will collect on the ignitors.

For a "safety" oriented engi eering company, Mother is turtle slow at fixing this problem....

avanti
11-11-2016, 02:20 AM
Probably true. The question is.... How do you define "high" humidity? We'd think of Florida and Houston. Or coud you have a micro climate. Any damp weather where moisture would collect on cold metal parts that are below the dew point. Like a van in coastal WA where the driver is constantly getting in/out or doors are opened. If moisture can ollect on the windows and interior metal bits....it will collect on the ignitors.

For a "safety" oriented engineering company, Mother is turtle slow at fixing this problem....

I agree that there are many unknowns. And, yes, this has taken a ridiculous amount of time. But the simple fact is that these parts are just not available, and there isn't a lot that Mercedes can do about it.

But, as per my original comment, and just to put things in context:

There have been 11 deaths and about 100 injuries in the US resulting from this issue. There are 34 million affected vehicles in the US. I will spare you the comparison with getting hit by lightning.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2016/05/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-takata-air-bag-recall/index.htm

http://blog.caranddriver.com/massive-takata-airbag-recall-everything-you-need-to-know-including-full-list-of-affected-vehicles/

Boxster1971
11-11-2016, 02:54 AM
Probably true. .....

For a "safety" oriented engi eering company, Mother is turtle slow at fixing this problem....

Why do you think Mercedes is a "safety" oriented company?

Old Crows
11-11-2016, 03:12 AM
Why do you think Mercedes is a "safety" oriented company?

Benz ....like Volvo & Rover have touted the safety of their engineering for decades. True, some of that didn't pan out as expected, but they have shown a more positive safety culture than others. Truth is you can die in just about anything.

Two things come immediately to mind. The door latches on the old man's '59 190 Gestapo black sedan (AKA the Berlhttps://www.facebook.com/purpleclvr/photos/a.375609882543951.1073741828.369508529820753/603778239727113/?type=3in taxi or Polizi car) were a cone and donut hole shaped set up that did two, or more, things: the latch would not allow the door to accidently pop open and it actually locked the door to the sill to keep it in place. If it was accidently unlatched, they would be stopped by a secondary mechanism. 'mercan iron continued to use the flakey "may/will pops' with the screwy gear and pawl latch for many more years.....actually until the government standards forced safer designs.

Horizontally fluted tail light lenses designed to generate air turbulance to keep the lights clean of road grime. Very important in post war European winters. You can see vestages of that on some cars today.

CJPJ
11-11-2016, 02:47 PM
My dad cut/ground smooth the two rear inside door handles of the family 4-door Sudan.
I remember (I was 4) when I saw the round nobs and couldn't Let myself out; kind of like a cop car. Rember, :wtf:, took me about a week to get used to the idea!

webdbbt
11-16-2016, 12:57 AM
I have a 2014 with recalled driver-side airbag. I'm looking at trading the van for a 2016. One dealer has said they have to lowball the trade-in because MB corporate won't let them resell it until the airbag is replaced. Has anybody else heard of this? There are plenty of 2010 to 2014 for sale by MB dealers.

I guess I've answered my question!

DLSprinter
11-24-2016, 07:12 PM
I just got the passenger-side airbag/bolt with flange/cable tie replaced; it took the day, so some drop the car off, but I waited as I had no other ride.

They also gave extras: Service Campaign 2012120002 Update Engine Control Module Software (Cause: Campaign/LR 028282 Operations: Cavity preservation after repair of paint blisters on 1st door, left perform (after preparing)?), tire pressure measurements, exterior hand wash/tire dressing and something else.

My question is two-fold: since both the Driver-side Airbag Module campaign 2016020010 (NHTSA Recall #16V-077) and Passenger-side Airbag Module campaign 2016070005 (NHTSA Recall #16V-379) both state on their respective May 2016 and July 2016 snail-mail letters, the problem being, "During normal airbag deployment, under certain circumstances, the ______-side inflator housing in your vehicle may rupture due to excessive internal pressure...",
why does the driver-side airbag (stated to only require 1 hour to replace (on MB's FAQ's)) need a total "...redesign..." while the passenger-side airbag (that recently took the day to replace) needed only "...a suitable replacement part..."?

Has anyone got information on the driver-side airbag status? The www.Mercedes-Benzsprinterusa.com/Mercedes-Benz/owners-resources/recall states that site has a link for "Takata Airbag Inflator Recall", but it does not (at least today it doesn't). The 1-877-496-3691 number, after giving a home phone number, only states to go to "www.mbusa.com and refer to the recall info link at the bottom of the page...", but that gets redirected with no link to Takata at the bottom of that page (redirected to www.mbusa.com/mercedes/index, at least today). (Though one can, and I did, click on 'contact us' to get the same FAQ page or the same Takata phone number.) Also I was told (mistakenly?) when they did the passenger side, that we weren't on that driver-side campaign (though I got the initial letter stating we are); maybe because the "campaign" has a different number when there is actually a Remedy Letter sent out for it (which for the passenger side did, but for the driver side has not yet)?

I believe they are working on the problem, and it's affected their production as I saw they are only 'build'ing some 6-cylinder 2017 models, but basically skipping 2017 production ('build'ing this month some 4-cylinder Sprinters that are considered 2016 models) - as it will be getting too close in timing and makes more sense to just concentrate on 2018 Sprinter production.

9000RPM
11-14-2017, 03:06 PM
It has been well over 1 year and the fix still hasn't been provided. I just found out about mine today.

We are in a high humidity area so this is quite urgent.

smiller
11-14-2017, 04:40 PM
One dealer has said they have to lowball the trade-in because MB corporate won't let them resell it until the airbag is replaced.

Lol... when buying a car, there is always, always some reason that your trade-in is undesirable. That is just a new flavor of the month. :smilewink:

zipperje
11-14-2017, 10:39 PM
Just got a MB letter stating "Remedy parts are now available for your vehicle." (2013 2500)

gonzo42
11-15-2017, 05:06 AM
It took me four trips to the local dealer to get this done. The first time they only replaced the passenger side air bag, and told me the driver's side unit had a bad wire. On the second trip they told me they had the wrong part. After several phone calls I made the third trip to complain face to face. Lastly on the fourth trip the job was done, including the steering column, but later I noticed the steering wheel was not clocked properly. Looks like maybe they got a spline one tooth off. Originally I ignored it, but now after some longer trips it annoys me. I think if I take it back and complain they will want to charge me $$$ to correct it.

WillieJ
11-16-2017, 05:25 AM
Just got a MB letter stating "Remedy parts are now available for your vehicle." (2013 2500)

Me too. I received my letter on Monday. 2013 3500 Airstream Interstate conversion. I think I will wait until my next service visit to have it done.