PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons 4 Cylinder Diesel 170 High top

FireDefense
04-24-2016, 06:52 AM
New to the forum. How has the 4 cylinder diesel been performing?

Midnightmoon
04-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Welcome to forum. This topic has been discussed many times here, but the summary is that the 4cyl 7-speed combo is well loved by those of us who own them.

FireDefense
04-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Thanks

ENMeyer
04-24-2016, 12:39 PM
I've put 12k miles on my 4 cyl in the last 4 months. So far, so great. 24+ mpg average, and a nice amount of power. I'm able to maintain 75+ mph on steep mountain passes.

lindenengineering
04-24-2016, 01:58 PM
For what its worth and I have seen quite a few now, its sweetie!

I'm impressed with its architecture and the twin turbo set up is very well incorporated into the intake system so that is almost unnoticeable.

Power output and economy is excellent, for me personaly the best Sprinter yet!
Dennis
Mechanic

04-25-2016, 12:26 AM
Its nice, but sound like when they put out the new 4cyl I think in 2018 model it'll be even sweeter with better fuel economy. I have currently both the 2500 170 high top and the 3500 170 ext high top. The 3500 when its loaded it will definitely slow down a bit climbing long hills on the highway, but it's worth the trade off from the 6 cyl. Best of all I never clean the EGR and it uses 1 liter less oil each change. Currently the 2500 has 225K miles (3750000km) and the 3500 has 80K miles (135000km)
Depending on how long you plan on keeping it I find the drive shafts go around the 200K mile mark. I wouldn't suggest those aftermarket ones. I do all highway so not sure how the shafts tolerate city driving.
Happy motoring
Mike

GreatNW
04-25-2016, 04:06 AM
520 miles out of my last 24gal tank, hauling a constant 8200lbs on the hwy and around Seattle. Very happy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobnoxious
04-26-2016, 03:11 AM
Greetings Sprinter Van Fan! The consensus in this form is I am a persnickety, obnoxious jerk so don't ask me. Just kidding!

It's an excellent van, handles extremely well! I am totally orgasmic about the
engine and seven-speed transmission. The cruise control engages instantaneously and maintains uphill speed flawlessly. The bi-xenon headlights are the best I've ever experienced. In fact, I can honestly say I like everything about the van except the damn plastic...never mind it's not important.

One important note; Do not believe the clever corporate propaganda about 20,000 mile oil change service interval. I would highly recommend changing the oil every 5,000 miles religiously!

Bob

avanti
04-26-2016, 03:19 AM
One important note; Do not believe the propaganda about the 20,000 mile oil change service interval. I would highly recommend changing the oil every 5,000 miles religiously!

This is a completely specious claim. There are no data whatsoever to support such a belief; only hearsay.

Bobnoxious
04-26-2016, 03:38 AM
This is a completely specious claim. There are no data whatsoever to support such a belief; only hearsay.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!! Just kidding! Mr. Studebaker is absolutely correct! It is only my opinion and the consensus of others in this forum 10-times smarter more knowledgeable than I. However, my opinion is based on 45-years of go-kart, mini bike and automotive ownership. Also, consider the diesel engine is turbocharged and equipped with recently developed, complex emission control systems subjected to extreme operating temperatures and pressures. Do you have any idea what the operating temperature of a turbo charger? I haven't a clue but I bet it's mucho habanero calente! Avoid Iffy Lube and similar "Quick" oil change centers. If you don't know how, learn to do your own oil changes. It's so easy a caveman (or women) can do it! Oil is cheap compared to repair or replacement of an expensive engine or components. Trust me, I know these things and have no reason to flim-flam you. But hey, it's been said a picture is worth a thousand words so check-out this site by clicking on the link.

http://tomdwyer.com/2012/uncategorized/real-life-automotive-horror-stories-no-oil-changes-with-pictures/

Happy motoring!

Bob

sailquik
04-26-2016, 03:52 AM
Getting close to my 5th oil change on the 2014 OM-651/7G-Tronic.
Changed the oil the first time @ ~10,000 miles, been going 18-20k miles since then....97,000 trouble free miles on 5 oil changes.
Doesn't burn any oil between changes, doesn't leak any oil, great fuel mileage (overall ~ 23 + mph for an 516/3500 USA 170 in wheelbase
short back/high top Sprinter that weighs ~7,000 lbs. most of the time.
Not bad at all!
Roger

Bobnoxious
04-26-2016, 02:47 PM
Hi Roger, hope all is well with you and family. I am curious about the transmission fluid change. I asked you about it sometime ago and you were kind to send me a link to YouTube. Very helpful, thank you.

My question I forgot the answer to was tranny fluid change interval? The owner's manual wasn't clear. Also, I like share the tranny feature while stopped on a steep hill the Sprinter does not roll backwards. Very convenient. Oh, and I have gotten oil dipstick shock.

Bob

Bobnoxious
04-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Oh, is anyone aware if MB uses a special "Break in" oil. I changed the oil at 10 grand and it seemed to feel differently. Maybe my mind has slipped a cog but it just didn't feel the same while rubbing it between my nitrile covered fingers. Not gritty by any means but chalky?

avanti
04-26-2016, 03:02 PM
My question I forgot the answer to was tranny fluid change interval? The owner's manual wasn't clear.

2015 Maintenance Manual P. 11:

Seems fairly clear.

Then again, why would you be interested in Mercedes' opinions on this topic when you recommend ignoring them on oil change intervals?

Bobnoxious
04-26-2016, 07:24 PM
2015 Maintenance Manual P. 11:

Seems fairly clear.

Then again, why would you be interested in Mercedes' opinions on this topic when you recommend ignoring them on oil change intervals?

Gosh, I detect a bit of angst in your prose. Peace brother!

I was just curious what is the manufacturer's recommendation. And thank you for your response and information.

Please respect I have a different opinion. I respect yours.

My opinion is based on and supported by experience and lengthy consultation with, among others, some intelligent and knowledgeable people, Such as Denis and Carl, both 10-times smarter and knowledgeable than I.

I don't agree with all of their opinions. For example, I'm skeptical about additives. Carl makes the excellent point if an oil already meets or exceeds the manufacture specifications, why would you need to add an additive?

Makes perfect sense to me. Of course there are exceptions. If you got an engine that is belching blue smoke and and has a gazillion miles on it. What is it going to harm adding a can of STP oil treatment? I've done it with positive results.

I have a question I forgotten the answer and would have to refer to my aircraft Power plant manual.

What six things does oil do?

May your journeys be absent of DTC's

Bob

baxterday
04-26-2016, 08:06 PM
We just logged 20 miles per gallon on our first tank full as filled by the dealer. I only presume it was topped off, and we did all this driving in the mountains of North GA and Southeastern TN. We loaded up6 kids and 3 adults, none of the adults are Barbie or Ken thin! We just got the Sprinter 170 high top passenger last week, and we could not imagine driving anything else now. We got the 4 cylinder with the 7 speed tranny. Lots of power, it will surprise you and shifts smoothly. The room in this this is incredible, we are replacing a Suburban which averages 12 mpg around North GA.
I think I will be changing oil sooner than the manufacturer recommends, as that turbo is sustains really hot, super "muy caliente" temperatures. Bobnoxious thanks for the oil change tip, I'm with you on that one, as well as tranny fluid and filter changes. I have religiously changed the tranny fluid on my last 4 suburban's and have not had the first tranny failure they are known for. I change it about every 30k miles.

Bobnoxious
04-26-2016, 10:50 PM
DISCLAIMER: the following is solely the opinion of the author and not supported by any scientific evidence or analysis. Kindly consult your vehicle's manufacturer's owners manual for recommended vehicle service regimen. And, always remember, don't believe everything you read.

I have carefully reviewed, well I think I have anyway, the owner's manual concerning the manufacturer's recommended engine oil change interval.

The following is a quote from page 323.

"Only by using engine oil with a particularly high quality grade, e.g. according to sheet number 228.51 of the Mercedes Benz specification for service products, can the "maximum" (quotations added for emphasis) interval for oil change be achieved." "Maximum" no ambiguity exists there. However, I didn't come across the noun,"minimum."

The following may or may not be a fair, parallel analogy.
Where I live, some areas the maximum speed limit is 70 miles per hour. No ambiguity there! Cannot exceed maximum limit. Lawfully anyway. However, that does not preclude a person from traveling 50 mph. As long as it's not unsafe of course! I don't think I ever recall seeing a sign displaying minimum speed limit.

Maybe a better analogy would be sodium intake. The Federal Drug Administration (FDA) daily recommended allowance (RDA) for sodium is 2.3 grams. However, that's not a hard and fast rule as certain individuals should limit their intake to 1.5 grams.

Based on the FDA's recommended daily allowance would it be conducive for improved health to consume less sodium? Maybe or maybe not. I couldn't find any minimum recommendations for sodium intake. In fact, "minimum" sodium intake has not been established.

Now there is only one area where I disagree with noun "maximum " And it has to do with beer consumption. According to the American Journal of Medicine, if a person consumes more than two beers a day they are considered an alcoholic. This is absolutely preposterous.

The other day, I was at the doctors for a physical exam. The doctor asked me if I drink and I told him yes. He asked me how much do I drink. I told him I have about five or six beers a day. He said, "do you consider yourself an alcoholic?" I said, "Hell no, I'm a drunk, alcoholics go to meetings!

My point being there are variables. There is not a one-size-fits-all sodium intake requirement, as there should not be for vehicle maintenance.

Moreover, it's interesting to note the owner's manual does not address operating conditions. does this maximum service interval apply to vehicles regardless of operating environments, such as, desert, coastal and arctic conditions, stop and go traffic or short distance commutes.

The owners manual also doesn't address driving habits. For example, my brother-in-law (my wife's sister's husband) is from Singapore. He drives like a maniac as does my wife who is Chinese. It's like they're in a contest to see who can wear out the brakes the fastest. Now, I am not implying that because they are from Asia, they are terrible drivers. I am just sharing an observation.

I currently live in the dusty Mojave Desert which, most would agree qualifies as an extreme operating environment. I can certainly tell you that living here does.
So, am I to follow the same, "one-size-fits-all," maintenance regimen of an owner living in more or less extreme regions? I think not!

Then there is the issue of a high proformance diesel engine equipped with a twin-turbocharger and recently developed emission control systems both operating at high temperatures extreames placing yet more demands on engine oil performance.

Automobile manufacturers will go out of business if they sell cars that last forever or don't break down. Ford Chevy and Chrysler realized this back in the 60s.
I used to own one, it was 1962, Plymouth valiant.

Anyone familiar with the Plymouth Valiant will agree it certainly was not a "Babe" magnet. In fact, I would say the car was more like "Hottie" kryptonite.

I honestly believe if properly cared for and maintained the valiant would last forever as most cars of that era.

It's curious the quality of American automobiles took a nose dive in the late 60s? How about all the 1950 era cars in Cuba. Still going strong in spite of being on an island exposed to the corrosive effects of ocean and lack of replacement parts.

I still hear the voice of Mr. Anderson, my high school auto shop teacher, echoing in my head. "The single most important maintenance you can perform on your car is change the oil regularly."

Being a lifelong legal scholar, based on what I've read in the owners manual, I believe the geniuses at Mercedes-Benz have exposed the corporation to potential expensive and protracted litigation. I ponder how the shareholders would feel about this?

It all boils down to good judgment, experience, commonsense and who has your vehicle's best welfare in mind. You or the manufacturer? Oil is less expensive than repairs and parts.

So, since I change my oil at 5,000 miles, I am offering for a limited time only PREVIOUSLY USED, MB approved motor oil at a 25% (75% service life remains) discount plus shipping and handling! COLD, HARD CASH, NO REFUNDS! OFFER CAN EXPIRE ANYTIME, AVAILABILITY Limited TO IN-STORE INVENTORY. NO RAINCHECKS. NO WARRANTIES EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. ACT NOW!

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Bob

Bobnoxious
04-26-2016, 10:53 PM
We just logged 20 miles per gallon on our first tank full as filled by the dealer. I only presume it was topped off, and we did all this driving in the mountains of North GA and Southeastern TN. We loaded up6 kids and 3 adults, none of the adults are Barbie or Ken thin! We just got the Sprinter 170 high top passenger last week, and we could not imagine driving anything else now. We got the 4 cylinder with the 7 speed tranny. Lots of power, it will surprise you and shifts smoothly. The room in this this is incredible, we are replacing a Suburban which averages 12 mpg around North GA.
I think I will be changing oil sooner than the manufacturer recommends, as that turbo is sustains really hot, super "muy caliente" temperatures. Bobnoxious thanks for the oil change tip, I'm with you on that one, as well as tranny fluid and filter changes. I have religiously changed the tranny fluid on my last 4 suburban's and have not had the first tranny failure they are known for. I change it about every 30k miles.

You are most welcome! The 7Gtronic is sure awesome!!! Be sure to exercise her, as recommended in the owner's manual, at least once a week.