PDA

View Full Version : Wheel alignment and tire wear

Tupelosprinter
04-21-2016, 03:12 AM
My 2013 170 high roof cargo model is showing some cupping on the tires resulting in more road noise. My local tire shop will do the alignment and then true and balance the tires. The are the factory Kumho's with 33,000. Most of my driving is highway with very light loads. I have lowered the tire pressure to 40 in the front and 50 in the rear to improve the ride. So, is the lower tire pressure causing the tires to wear on the outer edge prematurely? Is there anything I need to tell the alignment guys before they work on my van? What is the normal mileage life of these factory Kumhos. Thanks for the help.

Aggie
04-21-2016, 01:04 PM
Can't answer your questions but I wonder if you have rotated the wheels in the first 33000 ?
Same problem now on my car caused by my laziness in not regularly rotating wheels.
I did have an uneven wear problem on my Sprinter RV caused by being out of camber adjustment. Dealer installed camber adjustment bolts to facilitate proper adjustment. This problem was explained by heavy RV load on chassis, a cause you don't have.

Tupelosprinter
04-21-2016, 01:26 PM
Aggie - good question but for once I have been diligent about rotating every 10,000 miles. Which is probably the reason for the even but wrong wear pattern.

sailquik
04-21-2016, 02:48 PM
Tupelosprinter,
It could very well have been somewhat out of alignment from new.
Some of the "re Assembled in Ladson" cargo Sprinters seen to suffer with front end alignment issues.
Is your 2013 170 wheelbase high roof Sprinter an extended rear, and is it a 319 series/2500 USA or a 519/3500 USA?
The far too low air pressure you are running is for sure a huge factor in outside shoulder wear as your tires
won't have the stiffer sidewall that more pressure offers so they roll under whenever you turn.
For the best tire wear, you need to run at or very near the pressures listed on the "B" pillar/the driver's seat box
or the operator's manual.
Where is your "local tire shop" going to get the specifications to align your Sprinter too.
Having your front end alignment checked at an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer is still covered/possible as @ 33k miles you are
still under the new vehicle warranty.
They may not replace your badly worn tires, but they can certainly put your Sprinter on the Hunter alignment rack and check it out.
I can provide a spec sheet that's within the factory tolerance but seems to improve tire wear in the longer term than where most shops
set them up.
Try to find an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer with Sprinter Specific commercial Sprinter service area.
They seem to do a much better job on Sprinters that an ordinary MB car/SUV dealer.
Hope this helps,
Roger

04-21-2016, 07:10 PM
My 2013 170 high roof cargo model is showing some cupping on the tires resulting in more road noise. My local tire shop will do the alignment and then true and balance the tires. The are the factory Kumho's with 33,000. Most of my driving is highway with very light loads. I have lowered the tire pressure to 40 in the front and 50 in the rear to improve the ride. So, is the lower tire pressure causing the tires to wear on the outer edge prematurely? Is there anything I need to tell the alignment guys before they work on my van? What is the normal mileage life of these factory Kumhos. Thanks for the help.

Yes Roger is correct could be somewhat out since new. However i found those Kumo tires must be seconds or something. I found each set wore premature and irregular.

Tupelosprinter
04-22-2016, 03:11 AM
Sailquik - thanks to you I have the build card and mine is a 2500 319 with v6 and a 3.92 rear end. I think I will delay the local tire guy alignment and call my dealer for an opinion on the alignment problem. I will also bring the tires up to recommended pressure. I will probably just put up with the road noise until the end of life for the Kumhos. What do you suggest for tires? I live in Mississippi and do not drive on snow and ice. But, hope to travel out west and may occasionally run into bad weather. Rain is my main hazard.

Please send the spec sheet you mentioned.

As always - thanks to you and everyone else on the forum.

mikesprints
04-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Lot's of discussion about this before here many years ago and it seemed that most found the camber settings are too much My experience was the same with the factory camber spec. of positive 1.3-1.6 degrees is a bit too much as well. When I changed my struts and tires I reduced it to about .7.-9, which reduced shoulder wear significantly. I'm thinking a little more reduction in camber next time.

This takes in to account the ride height spec that is referenced at the front wheel arch. You'll want to have your van loaded as you would normally for the best setting.

I really liked the Michelin LTX MS2's which are now called Defender series.

sailquik
04-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Tupelosprinter,
Having been stuck and completely stranded several times, with the Continental Vanco Four Seasons tires, I now go with what I know (from experience) gives me the best possible traction, best overall
ride, and best long term tire mileage.
It's simple, put on the Michelin LTX MS2 and you stand the best chance of never being stranded.
I've still been stuck a couple of times in the snow (once this last winter, but that was my fault for letting the back of the Sprinter slew off the road in about a foot of snow.
Somehow I've never had the Kumho tires, but for the last 3 Sprinters I've insisted that I won't take delivery of my new Sprinter until it has the Michelin LTX MS2 tires on it.
In fact when my new Sprinter arrives as the dealer, the do all the prep work, and then get it on the rack and take all the tires and wheels off so they can switch the ones off
my old Sprinter on to the new own.
Guess that's why my wheels are a bit ugly and a little rusty.....they've been on 3 Sprinters for ~ 200,000 miles.
I haven't tried the new Michelin Defender Series (the replacement for the LTX MS2) but they should provide the same levels of
traction/ride comfort and good wear characteristics.
I've experienced the poor alignment and poor/odd tire wear from the factory/RA Plant Ladson twice, so now I have them do a full front end alignment before I
take delivery.
Hope this helps,
Roger

RonR
04-22-2016, 05:41 PM
My experience is that incorrect camber can wear one side of the tire. Air pressure being too low will wear both sides of the tire more than the center. Over inflation will wear the center. Now that you have worn the sides of the tires you might consider over inflation for a while to even out the wear. If it really is under inflation it may be best to leave the camber as it is.
Personally I am looking forward to getting a new set of Michelins once the Vanco's are toast.

Ron

smiller
04-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Lot's of discussion about this before here many years ago and it seemed that most found the camber settings are too much My experience was the same with the factory camber spec. of positive 1.3-1.6 degrees is a bit too much as well. When I changed my struts and tires I reduced it to about .7.-9, which reduced shoulder wear significantly. I'm thinking a little more reduction in camber next time.
I had an alignment performed due to excessive inside tread wear and the shop couldn't get enough positive camber in to meet specs, which I think is not uncommon for a Sprinter-based RV due to the weight on the rear. I could probably add the eccentric adjusting bolts to get more camber in but they got to to about 1 degree and I felt that was close enough, or as above maybe even better. The real culprit was excessive toe, was about 0.25 positive instead of 0.25 negative, and 0.5 degrees is quite a bit off. Wear seems to be even for about 2000 miles since.

PaulDavis
04-22-2016, 07:55 PM
My 2013 170 high roof cargo model is showing some cupping on the tires resulting in more road noise.

I got severe cupping on the front tires of my 2010 170. From everything I read online, cupping is not related to misalignment, which produces non-random wear patterns (the exact nature of which depends on the type of misalignment). If you've really got cupping (essentially, semi-random all-over-the-tire scalloping of the tread surface), it is most likely your shocks. So they say.

So, is the lower tire pressure causing the tires to wear on the outer edge prematurely?

First you said cupping, now you're describing a wear pattern on the outer edge ... which is it?

mikesprints
04-23-2016, 08:15 AM
I got severe cupping on the front tires of my 2010 170. From everything I read online, cupping is not related to misalignment, which produces non-random wear patterns (the exact nature of which depends on the type of misalignment). If you've really got cupping (essentially, semi-random all-over-the-tire scalloping of the tread surface), it is most likely your shocks. So they say.

Doubt its your shocks/struts. I replaced mine at 95k and they still had good damping. Cupping can also be caused by the tire being out of balance, worn suspension joints or bad wheel bearings.

Rensho
04-24-2016, 07:42 PM
That is a very good explanation of 'cupping'.

For sure the new sprinters come with too much positive camber. Using eccentric bolts, i could only get mine back to 0d camber, which is fine for low loads.

You certainly want to run a small negative toe if you run light loads. More negative if you often carry heavy loads.

I feel the newer sprinters lists too low of a front tire pressure. The vans use to come with Conti Vanco tires, which have stiffer sidewalls. At the 47psi, this may work quite well. Now that the vans come with the Kumho, that pressure is too low and causes feathering of the outside blocks, even with proper alignment for your situation. This too applies to the Mich MS2, which i now run. Great tires, but softish sidewalls allow for excellent ride, but rolls over too much and allows the outside blocks to feather. I'm now trying 50-51psi.