Oil cooler blew out

tr4dude

One of the fleet vans (2005 cargo) had the oil cooler pop and now I have oil in the radiator and all the hoses are soft. We were lucky enough not to get water in the crankcase, but what is the best thing to use to flush out the cooling system? When I worked on marine diesels we use dishwashing detergent to coagulate the oil then dump it out but I'm not sure if that would just clog up the system in the sprinter. Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions!!!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I would think that removing the fouled coolant components and flushing them with alcohol and then water would leave less residue than dishwashing detergent.

I've successfully removed oily residue from metal using something like Kleen-Strip Denatured Alcohol.

-Jon

great waloo

the great waloo
This same thing happened to me a few months ago, my mechanic replaced the oil cooler and gasket. It did not solve the problem. He did a head gasket flushed the system 4 times with dishwashing soap and pulled the radiator and dipped those and the hoses. It ran fine and just did a fluids replacement 2 weeks ago after 4000 miles. And now I have oil in the radiator again? What's the answer? Was it afaulty oil cooler? Is there a permanent fix? Help??

rlent

Had either of the vehicles mentioned in this thread with the problem ever had the coolant system flushed prior to the oil cooler problem ?

great waloo

the great waloo
On my 2005, the coolant was replaced after a front end collision at 86,000 miles and at 100,000 miles. How do I solve the oil in the radiator problem? Do I replace the oil cooler, gasket, flush the system recharge the system and hope for the best? Or do I start looking for a second souce of the oil in the radiator? Remember this is the second time after 4000 miles. Help

Top Bottom