how to drain your fuel tank on your Sprinter Van

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Your first pic shows an 'old style' Glow Plug controller. Before it fails at the most inconvenient time (Murphy at work), you might want to proactively replace it with the newer style.

talkinghorse43

Unless there's a drain plug at the lowest part of the tank (mine doesn't have one), the only way to get ALL the fuel, etc. out is to remove the tank.

edfrompa

2008 ROADTREK on F/L 2500
V6 picture... 2008. Same for the rest.. just find the fuel filter via the manual.

dump into drum...

NOT a criticism but a concern, IMHO: running a pump dry and pulling the sediment in the bottom of the tank into the system has inherent risks I'd rather avoid. Draining down to 2-3 gal and dropping the tank would be my preference.

moondawg14

V6 picture... 2008. Same for the rest.. just find the fuel filter via the manual.

dump into drum...

NOT a criticism but a concern, IMHO: running a pump dry and pulling the sediment in the bottom of the tank into the system has inherent risks I'd rather avoid. Draining down to 2-3 gal and dropping the tank would be my preference.
The pickup in the tank isn't moving. If the pickup can reach any "sediment" in the tank, it is going to be picked up regardless of tank level. Even if it did pick it up, it's not putting it into the system, it's actually dumping it into a drum, where it won't clog the fuel filter..

Running the pump dry for one or two key cycles isn't going to harm the pump.

The above is the best option when you are 1000 miles from home with a 15 gallons of gas and 10 gallons of diesel blend in you tank....
I agree. If the problem is gasoline (petrol) mixed with the diesel then the little bit of as/diesel mix heel left in the tank isn't a real problem.

If one isn't convinced and were really still worried then it might be worthwhile to add a few gallons of fresh diesel and then pump until empty again. That will leave very little gas/diesel mix in the tank.

Some of my adventure is here.

I'll start it here for fuel pumping info. In the first posts of the thread "acceptable" gas/fuel mix for Sprinters is discussed.

Really? How could anyone put gasoline in a diesel?

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=210560#post210560

There are links to get to descriptions of the NCV3 fuel pump relay for jumpering. (Saves key on/off cycles.)

vic

Top Bottom