Sprinter Conversion Mileage?

LivingtheDream

2009 LTV Serenity
The dealers speak of 20+ miles per gallon. What do people really get?

What do you get in a short wheelbase Sprinter RV Conversion?

What do you get in a long wheelbase Sprinter RV Conversion?

I am just getting into the Sprinter RV world and wanted to know what is real according to the users, not the dealers.

Thank you,

LivingtheDream

boardster

But figure they're asking about a new V-6 most likely, so knock a couple of MPG off that.
Then again if they go with a very basic conversion like I described in their other thread,
your numbers will be just about right even for the V-6

Last edited:

cedarsanctum

re: Member
We have a 2008, V6 Diesel and are averaging 21.6 mpg so far. It is getting better, but we only have 4000 miles on it, so it's a long way from broken in.

Jef

LivingtheDream

2009 LTV Serenity
Wow... Thanks to all who responded so far. I am encouraged that even if the 20+ is off by two to 18 its pretty good given all that you have behind you in these Sprinter conversions.

Now, lets drive the detail even one further... I noticed that the best mileage was on a Freightliner Sprinter... is there a difference between Freightliner and Dodge?

Thank you all, trying to learn as much as I can before I take the dive.... :clapping:

LivingtheDream

rvdriverca

If MPG is the only thing making it a buy or not deal, you do better to see what other things cost B4 you make up your mind. Do a cost comparison between a Sprinter and a Chev. Express van, from buying to let say 100k with the cost of all recommended services and cost per mile for fuel.( diesel cost 0.60-0.80 more per gallon than gas) The Dodge and Freightliner label van's are the same vehicle. Good luck in your choice

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
There is no difference in engine, transmission, ... or anything else except the grille and the name on the steering wheel and on the back door and the emblem on the hood.

rvdriverca

Just one more thing. In the whole beautiful state of California there are NO Freightliner dealers. So if you break down while under warranty, as mine has done many-many-many times, with a Freightliner van, in California well you know the rest.

talkinghorse43

Just one more thing. In the whole beautiful state of California there are NO Freightliner dealers. So if you break down while under warranty, as mine has done many-many-many times, with a Freightliner van, in California well you know the rest.
I'm in PA, but unless CA Dodge dealers are different, those in PA do warranty work on Freightliner Sprinters.

cedarsanctum

Wow... Thanks to all who responded so far. I am encouraged that even if the 20+ is off by two to 18 its pretty good given all that you have behind you in these Sprinter conversions.

Now, lets drive the detail even one further... I noticed that the best mileage was on a Freightliner Sprinter... is there a difference between Freightliner and Dodge?

Thank you all, trying to learn as much as I can before I take the dive.... :clapping:

LivingtheDream
It's safe to say that my mileage is based on careful (i've never paid as much attention to getting good mileage since we got the Prius) driving habits, and we don't carry a lot of stuff, relatively. I am building a modular type RV conversion that consists of light weight components; kitchen cabinet, fridge, bed, etc., with the thought of keeping weight down. No particle board, steel framework, lightweight and simple.

As far as Dodge vs Freightliner, no difference unless the grill has better aerodynamics. :smilewink:

Jef

LivingtheDream

2009 LTV Serenity
Again, thanks to all for the great discussion. You are all very helpful.

Mileage is not the only item in mind, but curiosity was killing the cat so to speak. I have gone out today and found Mercedes, Freightliner and Dodge badges. I found one Sprinter conversion, a 2006 for about $65K with only 6,000 miles on it. It was almost like new.

My greatest need is a restroom with the second need a freezer (which none of them have so I will have to add it). I am a cancer survivor and have to live on a liquid diet (I have been now for nearly 6 years and it works quite well). Liquid diet = restroom... nuff said. Liquid diet means carrying frozen food (pre-prepared) so I need the freezer, in the 2 cu ft range.

The note above that speaks to many, many many maintenance issues... is a bit scary.. but life can be scary some times.

Again, thanks to all for the help.

LivingtheDream

rvdriverca

I'm also a cancer survivor. I don't know what kind of experience you have with refrigerators or running generators, or the like. This is my experience. !st you will need to run a generator to run a freezer. I have not found a freezer that will run on LPG and 12V. As LPG has a very low BTU content, LPG tank will not last a week end running a generator. You must get a generator that will run on the main fuel tank, whether the vehicle is diesel or gas. 3000 watt will do. You can have small freezer mounted on the trailer hitch.

Lou

I picked up my '08 2500 144" WB 3.92 gearing low roof conversion from Sportsmobile in Fresno, CA and drove in home to the SF Bay Area. After topping off fuel at the start, I drove 156 mi. and refueled near home and put in 7.5 gals...which gives 20.8 mpg. Not too bad for a first run on a tight engine...hope it improves. There was only one significant climb at the Altamont Pass. As per advice on the Forum I kept the criuse control at about 62-63 mph at 2300-2400 rpm.

According to SMB I have only about 350 of allowable payload left out of the max if there were 4 total passengers at 154 lbs.each, but I drove alone (185 lbs.). I will weigh the van to confirm this. The van at the time had full fuel as mentioned, full water, full propane, and installed items...penthouse top, cabinets, stove, frig., and misc items.

I had my doubts on the advertised mpg, too...especially from reading some of the other threads, but I feel there is potential to get close to the mpg the older Sprinters got.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
If MPG is the only thing making it a buy or not deal, you do better to see what other things cost B4 you make up your mind. Do a cost comparison between a Sprinter and a Chev. Express van, from buying to let say 100k with the cost of all recommended services and cost per mile for fuel.( diesel cost 0.60-0.80 more per gallon than gas) The Dodge and Freightliner label van's are the same vehicle. Good luck in your choice
I let that slide yesterday but not two days in a row. I've not seen an unmodified Chev Express van that I could stand up in.

In former times and at the current time, diesel is not .60 more than gas. It varies widely, from lower than regular to the extremes of the first 8 months of this year.

The Sprinter's safety features aren't found in a Chev van.

There are those factors and others, like the pleasure of driving a Sprinter, that are unquantifiable.

cedarsanctum

It is possible to get a small freezer that runs strictly on 12V, consumes about 55 watts when running, and will run off a solar panel and the aux. battery. No generator needed. The brand of fridge/freezer is Waeco and can be either a freezer or fridge, depending on where you set the thermostat. My 3+ cu.ft. fridge stays cold for days running just off the factory aux. battery and 130 watt solar panel on top, never needs extra charging even on cloudy days. I haven't run it as a freezer much, but it sure does freeze easily. If power becomes a problem in the winter, i can add batteries to extend the run time. So far it isn't a problem.
Most dual fuel fridges the RV converters use consume too much energy to do this, and either don't freeze or have a too small freezer built in. The Waeco is the only one i found that works as either and at the efficiency needed.

Jef

LivingtheDream

2009 LTV Serenity
Right now I am looking at a Zero Brand 2.2 cu/ft freezer Propane/120v AC/12v DC
Model #GEV70SM

That looks to be the way to go if I can get it hooked up to the LP and electric in the Sprinter.

Thanks again for all the response on the mileage. I have looked at the Chevy and Ford and Dodge conversion vans, and the Sprinter looks the best for room, handling and height.

LivingtheDream

rvdriverca

Originally Posted by rvdriverca

I let that slide yesterday but not two days in a row. I've not seen an unmodified Chev Express van that I could stand up in.

In former times and at the current time, diesel is not .60 more than gas. It varies widely, from lower than regular to the extremes of the first 8 months of this year.

The Sprinter's safety features aren't found in a Chev van.

There are those factors and others, like the pleasure of driving a Sprinter, that are unquantifiable.

2005 2500 cargo, long, tall

Bill. You are absolutely correct: there are many thing a Sprinter has that my Chev. van does not have My sprinter has RNS, def air temp. sensors, leaking plastic resonator, grinding brakes, inaccurate speedometer ,2ND transmission and head gasket, 50k miles has been towed 2 times. In 55 years of driving and 5 million miles I have never been towed till now

But the Chev, express I sold last year did have sun visors that go side way's and up and down, tilt wheel ,a sensible heater controls. 350k miles never broke down original transmission and engine, never been towed and was 30k cheaper to buy. I thought I was buying better quality when I got the Sprinter. Sprinter do come in 2 roof heights, also after 5 million miles with no accidents, safety features are not to high on the list with me. You know, at one time we even drove cars with no seat belts . So please next time just do not jump all over me, with out knowing the whole story.:bash:

Goliath

5,000,000 miles / 55 years / 365 = 249 miles per day

That's certainly doable.

There should be an insurance rate deduction for that outstanding record.

Top Bottom