Axle ratios vs. transmissions / bodies

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I'm a little surprised to find that many dealers here don't appear to know their stuff with regard to option codes, or even the available options themselves.

With the NCV3 then there appear to be six axle ratios, according to the Sprinter-Forum knowledgebase.

AR1 3,692
AR2 3,923
AR3 4,182 (supposedly, but masquerading as 4,11 or 4,10)
AR4 4,364
AR5 4,727
AR6 5,100

With a 515CDI (factory downrated to 415CDI) built with an auto 'box does anyone know how many of these ratios are available?

It has been suggested to me that only three are: 4,7 4,3 and 4,1 although I'd quite like to try the 3,9.

True or false?

I'm wondering if the other ratios are only available with manual 'box, and/or at lower weight rated bodies i.e. 2/315s etc.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi Simon
join the world wide club of total arrogance with sales reps, they know{They have the little book of codes and weights in their drawers}customer must not see. but by avoid questioning, as to preferences from the boss to move base inventory stocks, from holding stocks.
4 series vs 5 series are two different animals don't confuse these with 4.9T as to a 4.5T,4.4T series even a 3.5 T can be bought up to spec to match a 4.9T yet still wear the 3 series badge and single rear wheels, rare animals to see, as a customer ordered vehicle. Confusion reigns over the axle ratios as to Gas v Diesel and four pots vs v6 where the US NCV in the early stages was mismatched to the 4 pot series.But was it:idunno: as the V6 had the same HP as the 4pots :thinking:Stateside.
For argument sake a three series van can be configured as 3.5T 3.8T4.4T and 4.5T 4.9 is a customer special order, another two grand for the load axle ratings.
The only difference between a 3.9 and 4.1 rear axle ratio is for hauling on trailers or high hill climbs, both have the same top end speed.
I gave up as to each country, having different regulations on specs. The one difference is power to weight ratios with standard manual trans vs auto , the latter can crawl at 800 rpm the manual cant it needs 1200 rpm thus not so good in snow and soft dirt combination's.
Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Just adding thought. IF The dealerships were more up front and tolerant as to a Customers request then they would take sales from VW, VW is more accommodating than the Benz dealerships with sales in Europe. for Mercedes down 9.6 percent total Euro sales 172263 Lessons to be learned from.
Richard

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Hi Simon
join the world wide club of total arrogance with sales reps, they know{They have the little book of codes and weights in their drawers}
Yes, I recognise that sentiment Richard!

You're saying there's only a marginal difference between 3,9 and 4,1... Top end doesn't greatly concern me (although I'm told the 4,7 maxes out at 80mph!)

I don't know if I'd be willing to risk lower than 3,9 - am I pushing my luck thinking about an auto in a four tonne van which I'd like to tow with it occasionally..? Didn't know about the auto's "crawl" capability.

Simon

Top Bottom