PDA

View Full Version : Brake warning lights on

Argyll
03-30-2016, 07:31 AM
Hi all,
I took the van - late '06 311 lwb - out at the weekend for its weekly run (while I am converting it to a camper), and when I stopped and turned off the ignition it would not start again just a flashing dash and clicking noises pointing to a dead battery. After a two hundred yard push up a small gradiant with much swearing and panting, I managed to get it to the brow of a hill and was able to bump start it.
Some lights came on on the dash but I pushed on to get her home. Now after fitting another battery the lights have stayed on ABS,ASR/BAS and the Brake light,I am wondering if I can reset this myself maybe with the help of an OBD reader as I am 140 miles from the nearest dealer?.

Eric Experience
03-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Argyll
Sprinters are sensitive to battery voltage, sounds like your system voltage is low. Can you measure the battery voltage while the motor is running. If it is low the most likely cause is the crimps on the battery wires, this would also explain why it would not start. The voltage should by over 14V with the motor running. Eric

Cheyenne
03-30-2016, 09:14 AM
Argyll
... the most likely cause is the crimps on the battery wires...
Eric

And don't forget to check the ground wires as well!

Simplest way would be to connect a single jump lead from the battery negative terminal directly to the engine block. If this fixes the problem then start investigating by measuring the voltage drop across each lead, anything more than 0.1 to 0.2 volts is a sign of a bad connection.

Keith.

PS Would I be right in guessing you are in Scotland?

Argyll
03-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the replys guys:thumbup:

Eric,

The battery was duff and I have exchanged it for a good one showing 14.6v with the engine running, no problem starting this morning but the lights stay on still.

Kieth,

Checked for a bad earth doing what you suggested but the problem persists, and yes we are on the West Coast of Scotland :)

Other than the above I have also checked all the fuses, again with no joy :frown:

Aqua Puttana
03-30-2016, 02:01 PM
Two separate issues?

ABS,ASR/BAS
Do the brake lights work? If no, re-check the fuses using a flashlight/torch. Sometimes a bad fuse is hard to see through the plastic. Or just swap the brake light fuse with a known good one.

Brake light
Master cylinder fluid level?

As long as all drives/operates normally, the ABS/ASR/BAS warning being on is not fatal. Driving with those on just means the safety systems are compromised so you are basically back to a 1960's model as to safety help. ... not so with the brake light. That should be tracked down.

vic

Argyll
03-30-2016, 03:13 PM
Hi Vic,

Thanks for the suggestions, I have just checked and the brake lights are working and the brake fluid is full to the mark, I also read on another thread to try and disconnect the battery earth for ten minutes and it may reset but still the lights persist :idunno:

Argyll
03-30-2016, 06:27 PM
Im thinking of buying one of these to see if it can sort it, anyone used one?
http://www.ukprodiagnostics.co.uk/pages/Mercedes_Benz_iCarsoft_i980_Multi_System_Diagnosti c_Tool_SRS_ABS_Engine_etc__225618-z=710970&p=94060.cfm

Eric Experience
03-31-2016, 10:30 AM
Argyll
That machine does not work with Sprinters. The next step is to clean the abs tone wheel sensors, just pull them out using an open end spanner as a lever. Blow out the slots in the tone wheel, then push the sensors back until they touch the ring. If that does not fix it post a photo of the dash with the lights on. Eric.

Argyll
04-06-2016, 06:06 PM
Im thinking of buying one of these to see if it can sort it, anyone used one?
http://www.ukprodiagnostics.co.uk/pages/Mercedes_Benz_iCarsoft_i980_Multi_System_Diagnosti c_Tool_SRS_ABS_Engine_etc__225618-z=710970&p=94060.cfm

Update:

By the time you had replied Eric Experience, I had ordered the ODB reader above. When I plugged it in to the van, it cleared all but the SRS light with an error message that the airbag is under voltage, even though I have changed the battery.

MercedesGenIn
04-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Maybe its just a matter of re calibration of the steering angle sensor by tuning steering lock to lock a couple of times with engine running. This ABS/BAS/ASR and brake light is a normal situation after battery disconnection on MB models. Cant advise on SRS reset without using proper tools however.
All the best
Steve