PDA

View Full Version : Driver's window auto up?

GSWatson
03-29-2016, 05:48 PM
I have the auto down for both windows, but the driver's window switch seems to have two stops on the up position; is it supposed to be auto-up as well? That sure would be nice!

moondawg14
03-29-2016, 07:39 PM
I have the auto down for both windows, but the driver's window switch seems to have two stops on the up position; is it supposed to be auto-up as well? That sure would be nice!

Right?

On my 2001 VW Jetta, it was possible to hack the byte code of the window controller to enable this feature, as well as some other window features that Audi (who uses the same controller) had that VW didn't.

Would be nice if that were possible on the Sprinter. I have no idea why auto up/down is not available on both driver and passenger windows.

bcislander
03-30-2016, 12:38 AM
Right?

On my 2001 VW Jetta, it was possible to hack the byte code of the window controller to enable this feature, as well as some other window features that Audi (who uses the same controller) had that VW didn't.

Would be nice if that were possible on the Sprinter. I have no idea why auto up/down is not available on both driver and passenger windows.

The Sprinter power windows don't have a 'pinch-protection' sensor in the power window controller, so no 'auto up'. Try putting a piece of foam between the top edge of the window glass and the door frame as you power the window closed. The Sprinter window glass will keep trying to close as the foam is crushed, while the VW/Audi windows will stop closing & start opening when a certain amount of resistance is sensed by the controller.

The VW products you cited do have pinch-protection, so the auto up was possible, just not implemented, for whatever reason. I too enabled auto-up on my 2002 Audi A4, as well as open all windows, close sunroof & any open windows, from the key fob.

hojo
04-08-2016, 01:33 PM
I had this same question... Thanks for the help bcislander!

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

GSWatson
04-09-2016, 12:31 AM
Yes, I've crunched my sunshade twice now... Any idea where the pinch protection resides - in the ECU, or in the motor? I'd love to find a way to add it on.

Walter Clark
04-09-2016, 01:18 PM
The Sprinter power windows don't have a 'pinch-protection' sensor in the power window controller, so no 'auto up'. Try putting a piece of foam between the top edge of the window glass and the door frame as you power the window closed. The Sprinter window glass will keep trying to close as the foam is crushed, while the VW/Audi windows will stop closing & start opening when a certain amount of resistance is sensed by the controller.

The VW products you cited do have pinch-protection, so the auto up was possible, just not implemented, for whatever reason. I too enabled auto-up on my 2002 Audi A4, as well as open all windows, close sunroof & any open windows, from the key fob.

VCDS (aka VAG-COM) is a wonderful thing. I set up a ton of great things with mine on my 2001 A4. Too bad we dont have a Uwe Ross around for M-B products.

Most pinch protection consists of monitoring motor current and reversing/shutting down if a threshold for current is exceeded. So odds are good all the hardware exists in the Sprinter already...Just not implemented/enabled in the controller. Sort of like the cornering lights on the HID optioned Sprinters.

bcislander
04-09-2016, 03:16 PM
VCDS (aka VAG-COM) is a wonderful thing. I set up a ton of great things with mine on my 2001 A4. Too bad we dont have a Uwe Ross around for M-B products.

+1. Likely it is MB that keeps all their 'proprietary' codes confidential and may threaten (take?) legal action against anyone trying to create an 'MB-COM', unlike VW/Audi and Toyota.

Most pinch protection consists of monitoring motor current and reversing/shutting down if a threshold for current is exceeded. So odds are good all the hardware exists in the Sprinter already...Just not implemented/enabled in the controller. Sort of like the cornering lights on the HID optioned Sprinters.

Don't forget that the Sprinter is a commercial vehicle. Having a motor current sensor adds extra cost to the controller & cuts into the profit margin.

avanti
04-09-2016, 03:38 PM
+1. Likely it is MB that keeps all their 'proprietary' codes confidential and may threaten (take?) legal action against anyone trying to create an 'MB-COM', unlike VW/Audi and Toyota.

The "Window-up" CANbus command codes are well-known. The 3rd party alarm system interfaces (such as Directed's DBALL2) are capable of auto-closing the windows. I have mine programmed to do so when the vehicle is locked. The DBALL is essentially a special-purpose version of a CANbus translator, which, I assume, is what the VW thing is). Mercedes can try to keep these commands secret, but there is really nothing legal they can do about reverse-engineering (except in a few special cases).

If you wanted to do a DIY window-control system, you could do it using a DBALL ordered with Sprinter firmware. Not very expensive, but not very general. You can control the windows, door locks, flash the lights and tell when doors are opened or closed. That is about it, though.

bcislander
04-09-2016, 03:45 PM
The "Window-up" CANbus command codes are well-known. The 3rd party alarm system interfaces (such as Directed's DBALL2) are capable of auto-closing the windows. I have mine programmed to do so when the vehicle is locked. The DBALL is essentially a special-purpose version of a CANbus translator, which, I assume, is what the VW thing is). Mercedes can try to keep these commands secret, but there is really nothing legal they can do about reverse-engineering (except in a few special cases).

If you wanted to do a DIY window-control system, you could do it using a DBALL ordered with Sprinter firmware. Not very expensive, but not very general. You can control the windows, door locks, flash the lights and tell when doors are opened or closed. That is about it, though.

The 'no pinch protection' problem still remains. Anything caught between the window and door frame will be squeezed with considerable force. Fingers? Hand? Neck? What damage could result?

GSWatson
04-09-2016, 04:34 PM
Judging from what it did to my sunshade, not much. It squished it in about a half to 3/4 inch, and the sunshade suffered no damage - went back to it's original condition. And both times it was in that condition for a couple seconds at least, as I was on the highway driving, looking at the road ahead. I think the closing window's Bernoulli effect sucked the sunshade out into the window opening, thus into the crush zone.

Will I try it with my fingers? Maybe after a beer. Or two.

Jetfive
04-05-2017, 11:56 PM
I have a 2011 tdi Jetta and all the windows are auto up auto down. It's one of my favorite interior features ever. Is it possible to swap the game motors and switches to the Sprinter?