2016 Crew Camper for Family of 4

sprinterPaul

I'm going to post up some of what I've been doing here so I have a consolidated place to post some pics.

Goals are for a family camper that could be a sometimes stealth sleeper if we crap out when trying to grab a campsite as most of the good ones are always first first...

Requirements:

Needs to sleep 4. I have two young boys.
Haul 4 bikes. (Finally all of them fit on the rack!) Youngest out grew the 16" wheels
Eventually have a fridge and a heater; maybe a small microwave.

That's my starting point and it will evolve from there.

I started with a 2016 Crew so I could register as a passenger vehicle and carry 4 people immediately with less work.

sprinterPaul

After doing the basics

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459267409.232635.jpg

Insulated /Sound deadening (Thinsulate/ RMAX/ RAAMAT)
Installed two rows of L Track
Installed Bed Rails/Panels
Panels rear walls.
Led bulbs
Rear Speakers
Maxxair Fan

Last edited:

sprinterPaul

After trying to buy a sunshade from the sprinterstore for two months and numerous phonecalls. I gave up and made my own out of reflectix. Will eventually cover with fabric and add supports.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459267933.048777.jpg

surlyoldbill

Moving the bikes to the outside sure does free up some space. People can always stick them inside if they're worried about theft while parked somewhere; it's not like you're going to be IN the van when you have the bikes stashed there. On a Moab trip, while watching a movie at the theater someone decided it would be a good idea to take our front wheel skewers from the bikes on my rear platform. No idea why they didn't take the rears as well. Didn't discover it until we were at Zion the next day, and had to buy some crappy heavy replacements at top dollar from a bike store.

surlyoldbill

For the reflectix window coverings, get some rare earth magnets and use them to "pin" the material over the windows. Or get fancy and attach them to or in the material.

sprinterPaul

Moving the bikes to the outside sure does free up some space. People can always stick them inside if they're worried about theft while parked somewhere; it's not like you're going to be IN the van when you have the bikes stashed there. On a Moab trip, while watching a movie at the theater someone decided it would be a good idea to take our front wheel skewers from the bikes on my rear platform. No idea why they didn't take the rears as well. Didn't discover it until we were at Zion the next day, and had to buy some crappy heavy replacements at top dollar from a bike store.
I agree. I never leave my bikes (that I care about) unattended. I went with a 42" bed platform so I can put my bikes inside with front wheels on when needed. For camping we just have the kids bikes and beater bikes. but having the skewers stolen would be annoying.

sprinterPaul

Current shower hot water setup.

Took less than two beers to setup and get some really hot water.

Not great, but fine for camping.

sprinterPaul

Here is some additional info about what I did since I received a couple of questions.

The Bed is from overlandsprinters.com Same one that DieselFumes used in his build. For the cost vs time. It worked for me. I was on a tight timeline and it was the right blend of DIY and professional build.

Wall panels are 1/8" Ply from home depot. $11 a 4x8 sheet.
Layered with 1/8" closed cell foam from perfectfit.com
Covered in Marathon interweave
Held together with 3M Spray90 adhesive and 1/4" staples.

The L-Track was from USCargoControl. I got the black powder coated ones.

The lower LTrack is held in by plusnuts in the van walls. The upper L Track was put into a suporting 1/8" stainless steel flatbar that was plusnutted to the frame

sprinterPaul

Yes. J tree. And let me tell you the van rocks for sleeping when the winds hit 40mph gusts. We had one day/night that did not let up.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1459300795.137009.jpg

Top Bottom