Which engine oil to use

Agc23

Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2009 Winnebago View (2008 Sprinter 3500 DRW chassis) and want to know which engine oil to use. Unfortunately I do not have the owner's manual.

I've read several post and checked various websites (i.e. europarts, etc.) and can't seem to figure out which engine oil to use.

Mobil 1 0W-20 (ESP)
Mobil 1 5W-40 (ESP)

Oh boy. Oil!

Just be certain that what you use has MB229.51 on the label. You need low ash SAP oil for your DPF.

The common choices in North America will be Mobil 1 ESP 0w - 30 or Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 MST. There are other brands, but they are not as readily available in N. America.

Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40 is no longer in production.

vic

mikesprints

Valvolines part # VV966. Carquest carries for example.

I see now Pennzoil Euro LX something or another, meets the new spec. 229.52. which I don't see why couldn't be used. IF IT SUPERCEDES as it were.

MB229.52 is also fine for the 2008 V6 OM642 engine, but MB229.51 should be easier to find.

I didn't include that spec because I believe at this time the MB229.52 spec oils are a bit more expensive.

Amsoil also has a MB229.51 spec oil if you're inclined to use that brand. $$

vic

moondawg14

Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2009 Winnebago View (2008 Sprinter 3500 DRW chassis) and want to know which engine oil to use. Unfortunately I do not have the owner's manual.

I've read several post and checked various websites (i.e. europarts, etc.) and can't seem to figure out which engine oil to use.

Mobil 1 0W-20 (ESP)
Mobil 1 5W-40 (ESP)
Napa (at least the one near me) has the 0w30 ESP on sale for $5.99 a quart right now. it is 229.51 and 52 compliant.

And their Napa Gold filters are very good.

Inertiaman

Napa (at least the one near me) has the 0w30 ESP on sale for $5.99 a quart right now. it is 229.51 and 52 compliant.

And their Napa Gold filters are very good.
This^^^

I just clicked through to the NCV3 Talk sub-forum to start a thread about the $5.99 Mobil 1 ESP 0W30 at Napa, only to find this thread already going, and the sale price already noted!

The Mobile 1 ESP X1 0W30 meets MB specs 229.31, 229.51 and 229.52. Apparently Mobil has discontinued the 5W40 and 5W30 and has replaced them both w/ this 0W30.

I picked up 12 quarts for $79 including tax at my local NAPA. That was $30-45 cheaper than the lowest price online sources I could find via Amazon, etc.

Anyone expecting a DIY oil change in the near future might considering picking up the oil now. This NAPA sale ends 3/31/16.

This will be my first service on my 2014 OM651 4 cylinder. I'll probably just get the filter at the dealer and grab the 14 flute / 74mm wrench online. Seattle Mercedes dealer quoted me $290 for the 15k service. Seemed competitive w/ other dealer pricing, but I've got the time, and my neighbor has a 15 quart catch-tray/reservoir, so may as well DIY it for ~ $100.

robmurray12

Should I get Mobil esp 0w20 or 0e30

Going to try and stop by Napa after work
I'm not sure where you are coming up with 0W20 as a viable option?

Use either 5W40 with 229.51 spec or use the new Mobil 0W30 with 229.51 spec.

This topic has been hashed, re-hashed and re-re-re-re-hashed about 1 million times. Use the search function or better yet open up your owner's manual.

***My bad, I see you original post states you do not have an owner's manual*** I think you can download them off the internet for your model year. Search is your friend

Last edited:

Inertiaman

Should I get Mobil esp 0w20 or 0e30

Going to try and stop by Napa after work
You want p/n 121218 which is the 0W30 ESP X1 that meets 229.31/229.51/229.52.

NAPA's website does a poor job distinguishing among the various Mobil 1 variants. The p/n above will help.

FWIW, you can "reserve" your purchase online so its ready for you when you get to the store. Also an easy way to confirm they have stock.

sailquik

Inertiaman,
Please consult your Maintenance Handbook (the one that came in the clear pouch in the glove box in your Sprinter).
There is a WHOLE lot more that needs to be checked/adjusted/tightened at the first 15K service.
You going to do the entire checklist DIY?
It's way more than a simple oil and filter change.
Hope you like laying on the ground or you are fortunate enough to have a rack that will support a Sprinter with all the wheels off.
15k is definitely time to rotate the tires, check the torque on the rear axle U-bolts, and a whole checklist of other inspections.
If you can get a 1st "A" service, for $290.00, at an authorized Mercedes Benz or Freightliner Sprinter dealer (a commercial dealer if you can
find one) that would be a very good deal.
Roger

Inertiaman

Inertiaman,
Please consult your Maintenance Handbook (the one that came in the clear pouch in the glove box in your Sprinter).
There is a WHOLE lot more that needs to be checked/adjusted/tightened at the first 15K service.
You going to do the entire checklist DIY?
It's way more than a simple oil and filter change.
Hope you like laying on the ground or you are fortunate enough to have a rack that will support a Sprinter with all the wheels off.
15k is definitely time to rotate the tires, check the torque on the rear axle U-bolts, and a whole checklist of other inspections.
If you can get a 1st "A" service, for $290.00, at an authorized Mercedes Benz or Freightliner Sprinter dealer (a commercial dealer if you can
find one) that would be a very good deal.
Roger
Hey Roger, thanks for the thoughts. I read through the A Service checklist before I called the dealer. My original intention was to do exactly as you're suggesting: first Service A at the dealer. But once I looked in detail at the actual services and talked w/ the dealer, I had a change of heart.

The person I talked to at the service desk told me that the rear axle U bolt torque/tighten wasn't part of the service. This is somewhat consistent with some other threads here, where some have reported that the U bolt tightening was an extra $40 ala carte, or others that had been through their first Service A and subsequently found loose U-bolts on their own. Its printed clearly in the manual, but that apparently doesn't necessarily translate to it being done at a given dealer. The same dealer was ambiguous about the tire rotation, too, suggesting that they would inspect the tires. So I wasn't left with a particularly confident feel about the level of service.

Anyway, the U-bolt torquing is an easy task. The nuts are super accessible, I have a 1/2 drive torque wrench. A deep wall 19mm socket was only $6. My DEF and wiper fluid are already topped off, so no value to me from that perspective.

Tire rotation is admittedly a pain in the a$$ to do yourself. But the normal service place I take my other vehicle will do it for $25. Since they don't have to lift the Sprinter all the way up, they can do it in their normal service bay. Just need to get it off the ground to swap wheels. Nothing special about rotation w.r.t the first Service A . . . we all face the same challenge for each subsequent service interval.

All that said, I'm still half tempted to use the dealer, just on the off chance they'd catch anything odd before a real problem develops. I may be near the dealer that originally sold me the vehicle when I hit 30,000, so maybe I'll consider a dealer service on that interval.

sailquik

Inertiaman,
Wow, I'm somewhat astonished.
There must be a whole world of difference between the dealer you spoke with and the authorized MB Sprinter Commercial dealer where I buy
my Sprinters and have them serviced.
I may have to go back and look at what I was charged for the first "A" service, and how they broke out the costs.
If they somehow charged me $40 (or some other amount) to complete the entire checklist and in particular the one time service
items like retorquing the rear axle U bolts I will have to sit down and have a talk with them.
At each scheduled service I put the Maintenance booklet on the seat as I go into talk to the service advisor.
I explain to him that I expect the technician to initial all the items in the check list and I demand that the service advisor sign off on
all the service items the technician has initialed.
If there is ever any issue with warranty or things like that, I will have the fully filled out Maintenance record booklet, all signed by the
technicians and service advisors involved.
OBTW, did you also know that every single service item is recorded and stored in the MB Sprinter USA database.
I'm often very puzzled that the dealers don't honor warranty stuff (if they can get away with passing the cost on to the customer) when
they have a complete record of every single service that's ever been performed (by authorized dealers anyway).
Do your thing.....only time will tell if it's a wise decision to do it that way.
I'm very happy with the service I get from my Sprinters, and fortunately I'm in a position financially that allows me to have them
do whatever we jointly deem is required to keep my Sprinters 100% reliable.
I hit a deer, and accidentally rubbed the LH side of my current Sprinter up against a pole so I had to have some body work done.
It cost was pretty high....could probably have had it done by my insurance co. or paid half the price somewhere else, but the Sun
Motor Cars Collision repair shop repaired the front end damage and the minor dent/scrape on the LH side perfectly, so it was worth
the price I paid. The body damage was repaired to actually better than new, plus the entire LH side oft he Sprinter was clear coated.
Hope this helps,
Roger
P.S. I just checked my invoice on the first "A" service.
I forget the situation, but my friendly salesman felt he owed me a free service for some reason, so the whole service was free.

Last edited:

SSTraveler

2014 LTV Unity Murphy Bed
Hello everyone,

Mobil 1 0W-20 (ESP)
Mobil 1 5W-40 (ESP)
I recently had my oil changed and the dealer put in 0w-30. I had previously purchased Mobil 1 ESP 5w-30 as a top off oil in case I ever run low. Here is a website for brands that meet MB specs, https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html. I also found this 2008 manual on the web.

Attachments

moondawg14

You want p/n 121218 which is the 0W30 ESP X1 that meets 229.31/229.51/229.52.

NAPA's website does a poor job distinguishing among the various Mobil 1 variants. The p/n above will help.

FWIW, you can "reserve" your purchase online so its ready for you when you get to the store. Also an easy way to confirm they have stock.
This is important information.

BE CAREFUL, make sure the bottles have a SILVER cap, not a GREEN cap. The labels on the bottle will have some green on them, but the cap will be SILVER. It's super-easy to pick out a bottle of the 0w-30(or 20) Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy oil and not realize you've made a mistake. Even the Napa guys must do it, because the store I went to said they had more bottles of the 0w-30 ESP, but they weren't anywhere in the store... had to be ordered. Even when I went to pick it up, one of the other Napa guys said "Here it is!" and the Napa guy I was working with yelled at him, "LET ME GET IT, THAT'S NOT IT."

Summing up:
1. ESP
2. SILVER CAP
3. MB 229.5x printed on the back of the bottle.

Agc23

SSTraveler, Thank you for providing the link to the 2008 Sprinter Owner's Manual......I really appreciate it

sleeper bird

Oh boy. Oil!

Just be certain that what you use has MB229.51 on the label. You need low ash SAP oil for your DPF.

The common choices in North America will be Mobil 1 ESP 0w - 30 or Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 MST. There are other brands, but they are not as readily available in N. America.

Mobil 1 ESP 5w-40 is no longer in production.

vic
That is hilarious ,made my day.Oh boy OIL.

Top Bottom