PDA

View Full Version : Rear shocks 2014 sprinter 3500

Silver liner
03-27-2016, 11:14 PM
MB Sprinter 3500 duel rear wheels V6 turbo Great West Ledgend SE 2015 , less than 10k miles first long trip was unbearable to sit or stay in the rear of the van . Bouncing and hard bottoming out like no suspension or shock absorbers were installed . Unexceptable for any vehicle especially a Mercedes Benz. The road I95 / turnpike / major hi ways not talking beat up old roads . The front driver and passenger smooth and acceptable . Any suggestions need to at least install better shocks :bash:

Old Crows
03-27-2016, 11:42 PM
Suggest first looking to your tire pressures...... Are you running no higher PSI than the placard on the driverside door sill????

If you are, that is the first place to look when you have a harsh ride. Too much pressure is not good for the tires.... And since sidewall flex is a critical part of the shock absorbing strategy its best to run no higher than the placard.

Do you know the GVWR? ??? Its on the tire spec/ pressure placard. I'm guessing 11,030 lbs like all 3500 series Sprinters. Legend SE is a Class B RV. So the coachwork is likely 1500lbs less than a "C." Maybe more. Why is this important?

Back in the day, many Bs were built on 2500 single rear wheel axles with a GVWR around 9000 lbs. They had marginal payload capacity. Thus the move to 3500 w/ duals and larger weight capacity. The downside is.....at loads considerably less than its GVWR, it may ride harshly.....especially if the tire pressures are off the chart.

lindenengineering
03-27-2016, 11:57 PM
MB Sprinter 3500 duel rear wheels V6 turbo Great West Ledgend SE 2015 , less than 10k miles first long trip was unbearable to sit or stay in the rear of the van . Bouncing and hard bottoming out like no suspension or shock absorbers were installed . Unexceptable for any vehicle especially a Mercedes Benz. The road I95 / turnpike / major hi ways not talking beat up old roads . The front driver and passenger smooth and acceptable . Any suggestions need to at least install better shocks :bash:

I have found Monroes from Napa very good BUT first look at your road springs! Carefully!!
I have seen way too many on 3500 Sprinters with the leaves split between the U bolts on the axle perch. This causes the road spring to part in the middle with subsequent loss of damping control.
Dennis

Silver liner
03-27-2016, 11:59 PM
Thank you for the quick response , yes I am using the door placard psi .

Silver liner
03-28-2016, 12:09 AM
I will investigate the springs and anything that look suspicious in the morning ,when I can get under the van. I'm wondering if I should let the Mercedes dealer check it out since it is under warranty . .

Old Crows
03-28-2016, 12:21 AM
I have found Monroes from Napa very good BUT first look at your road springs! Carefully!!
I have seen way too many on 3500 Sprinters with the leaves split between the U bolts on the axle perch. This causes the road spring to part in the middle with subsequent loss of damping control.
Dennis

Dennis.... Are you saying "broken leaf" in the spring pack? :hmmm:

Old Crows
03-28-2016, 12:30 AM
Thank you for the quick response , yes I am using the door placard psi .

That's a great start. :thumbup:

Is there a fresh water tank behind the rear axle between the frame? 30 gallon = about 240 lbs full. If the springs are OK, per Dennis' expert advice.... Try filling the tank to add some "ballast" for damping the rough ride.

I think Benz guys will :idunno::idunno::idunno::idunno: unless they can find a specific fault.

Oh!?! Have you weighed it all up ready for trip???

lindenengineering
03-28-2016, 12:50 AM
I will investigate the springs and anything that look suspicious in the morning ,when I can get under the van. I'm wondering if I should let the Mercedes dealer check it out since it is under warranty . .

Yes
If it under warranty get it to them!
Just one thing I answered a call for bouncing up and down on a motro home recently on this very forum and the issue was a bent prop shaft.
Dennis

lindenengineering
03-28-2016, 12:57 AM
Dennis.... Are you saying "broken leaf" in the spring pack? :hmmm:

In short yes !
One came in with BOTH rear springs snapped in the middle--I was astonished to see the damage with wallowing out of the location hole in the axle perch.

On motor homes due to the coachwork you have to slither under the rig to see some of this.

In most cases I can just about do it with my 34 inch old timer waist band just have to watch "ma privates" getting caught up in the generator exhaust pipe that's all!:bounce:
After 6 kids the pastor at the church I "sometimes" go to--has said Dennis your quiver is Full!
Even though you missus is 20 years your junior!:thumbup::laughing:
Dennis

03-28-2016, 01:00 AM
Suggest first looking to your tire pressures...... Are you running no higher PSI than the placard on the driverside door sill????

If you are, that is the first place to look when you have a harsh ride. Too much pressure is not good for the tires.... And since sidewall flex is a critical part of the shock absorbing strategy its best to run no higher than the placard.

Do you know the GVWR? ??? Its on the tire spec/ pressure placard. I'm guessing 11,030 lbs like all 3500 series Sprinters. Legend SE is a Class B RV. So the coachwork is likely 1500lbs less than a "C." Maybe more. Why is this important?

Back in the day, many Bs were built on 2500 single rear wheel axles with a GVWR around 9000 lbs. They had marginal payload capacity. Thus the move to 3500 w/ duals and larger weight capacity. The downside is.....at loads considerably less than its GVWR, it may ride harshly.....especially if the tire pressures are off the chart.

I have been through this, wasted all kinds of money on replacing shocks and trying other items, In my case my two leafs were in 2nd stage. That means the one was down sitting on the second. So at this point you have lost some dampening. Best thing I did and wish it was the first was dump the tire pressure down to 35psi, ride is now very acceptable. Oh when it came time I also replaced the Continental stock tires with Michelin Destiny tires which arguable also helped soften the ride.
Good luck!
Mike

chromisdesigns
03-28-2016, 01:12 AM
I have been through this, wasted all kinds of money on replacing shocks and trying other items, In my case my two leafs were in 2nd stage. That means the one was down sitting on the second. So at this point you have lost some dampening. Best thing I did and wish it was the first was dump the tire pressure down to 35psi, ride is now very acceptable. Oh when it came time I also replaced the Continental stock tires with Michelin Destiny tires which arguable also helped soften the ride.
Good luck!
Mike

How much weight you carrying back there? Sounds overloaded to me -- tires are as well in that case. Dump some of the fat!

lindenengineering
03-28-2016, 01:46 AM
How much weight you carrying back there? Sounds overloaded to me -- tires are as well in that case. Dump some of the fat!

That's easier said than done.
Some of these RVs are at their top limits due to the build.
I have one coming in this week for new rear springs and Timbren "bumps" etc all round!
Dennis

Silver liner
03-31-2016, 02:33 AM
Just returned from the Mercedes dealer found nothing wrong with the shocks and or springs said I was possably overloaded nothing they can do everything looked normal. Recommended if I wanted to have upgraded shocks which may help . I'm Lightning the load I'll see how it goes from there if it gets unbearable again I will up grade the shocks. Thank you guys for all your imput :cheers:

Surveillance Van
03-31-2016, 12:53 PM
Maxium Sumo Super Springs worked for me Www.supersprings.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david_42
03-31-2016, 03:56 PM
Can't speak to your exact situation, but Konis made an amazing difference with my 2004.

Burgs
09-25-2018, 05:37 PM
I am considering to purchase some sumo front and rear springs for my 2017 sprinter 3500 Winnebago view. My question is which ones? Please help.

Mike DZ
09-25-2018, 07:07 PM
I am considering to purchase some sumo front and rear springs for my 2017 sprinter 3500 Winnebago view. My question is which ones? Please help.

I am running SSR-338-47 and SSF-106-40 on my 2016 View (2015 Chassis) - works well for me. I am also running the new Agile tuned Fox 2.5 commercial shocks in the rear.

I would recommend both products.

Old Crows
09-25-2018, 07:27 PM
Mike's suggestion!

Or, Koni FSD 8805-1056 (red) replaces earlier versions. Look them up on the 'net.

sailquik
09-28-2018, 12:11 AM
Silver liner,
Have you weighed the front and rear axle weights on a certified scale?
That might help alot is determining IF your RV is exceeding the rear axle loading.
If your rear axle loading is < what's on the tire loading sticker on the "B" pillar and the
overall weight statements the compliance plate on the side of the driver's seat box then
you can reduce the rear tire pressure to what ever the tire load and inflation tables for the
specific tires you have will allow.
Also, are the tire loading sticker and the compliance decal/plate the OEM from Mercedes or
something the RV up fitter had made up to cover up the fact that they built you RV overweight?
If your rear tire pressure is signifciantly > 55 PSI I would suspect that the inflation table and
compliance plate have been altered/changed from OEM.
Roger