2004 T1N computer software upgrade?

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.

I have a 2004 T1N and have noticed that the cruise control is not as responsive as my 2010 Mercedes Vito.
Im just wondering if anyone knows of a genuine Mercedes software upgrade that could be put in to make it more like the Vito?

Im not after an aftermarket upgrade.

I have a 2004 T1N and have noticed that the cruise control is not as responsive as my 2010 Mercedes Vito.
Im just wondering if anyone knows of a genuine Mercedes software upgrade that could be put in to make it more like the Vito?

I'm not after an aftermarket upgrade.
Not as responsive in what way?

They do have completely different engines V6 vs I5 which means different generation/type ECM aka ECU to begin with.

vic

Last edited:

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
Hi Vic.
Sprinter (2004) has an I5 2.7l engine and Vito (2010) has an I4 2.2l engine, both automatics.

When in cruise control mode.
The Vito actively turbo brakes if you are on a long down hill run, I read somewhere that the vane blades turn to give engine braking.
The Vito is also more responsive to small changes in speed and will adjust very quickly.
The Sprinter seems to lag along for quite a while before reacting and adjusting, most times to the point where I have to tap the gear stick to wake it up, and no turbo braking.

The Sprinter turbo is vacuum controlled and the Vito is electronic.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of some upgrade?

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
My 2006 has 'turbo braking.' Sprinter is bigger, should take more time to increase speed.
About the only issue I have is that sometimes I don't seem to pull the stick property and it fails to resume speed.

Hi Vic.
Sprinter (2004) has an I5 2.7l engine and Vito (2010) has an I4 2.2l engine, both automatics.
I was going to mention the I4. That likely makes the ECM aka ECU even that much more different. The cruise control is an integrated part of the ECM programming.

When in cruise control mode.
The Vito actively turbo brakes if you are on a long down hill run, I read somewhere that the vane blades turn to give engine braking.
Both my NAS aka NAFTA 2004 and 2006 offer some engine braking when in cruise.

If my speed gets too far above cruise setpoint eventually the transmission will downshift.

The Vito is also more responsive to small changes in speed and will adjust very quickly.
A lighter vehicle? A different ECM? A 7 speed transmission?

Aren't you basically holding two different vehicles against each other?

The Sprinter seems to lag along for quite a while before reacting and adjusting, most times to the point where I have to tap the gear stick to wake it up, and no turbo braking.
Both my 2004 and 2006 are very "tolerant" of not being able to keep to set point. That is as opposed to some other brand vans which would pour on throttle and even downshift if the vehicle speed decreased even slightly. Personally I prefer the "tolerant" design.

The Sprinter turbo is vacuum controlled and the Vito is electronic.
The NAS aka NAFTA 2004 OM647 I5 engine has an electronic turbo actuator. The OM612 engine has the vacuum actuator. Both actuators are controlled by a solid state module design.

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of some upgrade?
I can't answer that question.

I can say that the cruise control on my 2004 140 2500 seems to respond exactly the same as the cruise control on my 2006 140 2500 Sprinter. Any 2004 upgrades that I might be missing should have been included OEM in my 2006. I notice no difference. :idunno:

vic

cloead

Ahhh yes.. I have this floppy disk you can insert into the ECU mainframe that will upgrade the operating parameters to Windows 10. Can be yours for $1899 + shipping.

sailquik

Tooth Fairy,
Could you send me an email with the VIN #'s for your 2004 Ex Ambo Sprinter and your 2010 Viro.
I'd like to pull the data cards for both of them and figure out what some of the differences might be.
You are in AUS, so there are some differences in engine configuration and emissions requirements that
might make some of the differences you speak of.
My largest issue is the "turbo-braking" you seem to like.
AFAIK if both your MB designed vehicles have Garrett turbochargers the turbos would not have any
"turbo braking" capability.
Also, most 2004 and later MB turbos are electronically controlled, but it's very possible that your Sprinter
same ECM/vacuum powered turbo actuator system as the 2002 and 2003 OM-612 engine Sprinters in the USA.
Just click on "sailquik" above at the top left of this post, then click on "send email to sailquik".
Please include a valid return email address and I will send the OEM data cards back to you via email.
Roger

Tooth Fairy

Away with the fairies.
Ahhh yes.. I have this floppy disk you can insert into the ECU mainframe that will upgrade the operating parameters to Windows 10. Can be yours for $1899 + shipping.
There is always one isnt there? :shhh:

I work fixing garbage trucks that are all computer controlled, even the older trucks respond to a new software update and the different is very noticeable.

Just though you needed some more educating. :2cents:

Top Bottom