The Adventure Begins

Ed463

We've just bought this, it'll soon be turned into an overland camper and our part time home. I can't wait :bounce:

For the petrol / diesel heads:
OM642
190bhp 440Nm (which is nice!)
Selectable 4wd. This is the configuration I wanted rather than the constant 4wd.
6 speed manual. The 7 speed auto would have pushed my confidence in MB electronics too far.
Low roof, MWB.

So the plan is.
Elevating roof.
Permanent double bed.
Shower / toilet cubicle.
Solar panels.
Fridge / freezer.
And that's about it, we're not planning on going anywhere cold or wet.
2016. Europe and if we have time Morocco, Western Sahara.
2017. South Africa, Botswana, Namibia......who knows :)

I'll create another thread for the build.

A couple of rubbish photos below.

Attachments

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Welcome aboard. Nice to see another overland build out! :cheers:

Interesting that you chose the lower roof height. I am looking forward to seeing how you build it out.

Given your destinations the systems design will prove highly engaging. :thumbup:

Ed463

Welcome aboard. Nice to see another overland build out! :cheers:

Interesting that you chose the lower roof height. I am looking forward to seeing how you build it out.

Given your destinations the systems design will prove highly engaging. :thumbup:
Well that was partly down to what was available and even the low roof is high :)
Remember we're in the UK some of our roads are quite tight. An elevating roof will add maybe £2k but hey such is life.

Ed463

Nothing much to report on the conversion front but I've been busy doing preventative maintenance such as:

Replaced gearbox and rear diff oils with RedLine fully synthetic. I really rate this product, the gear change is certainly smoother. It was a little reluctant when cold before.
I'm waiting for MB specific oil for the transfer box and front diff. I couldn't find the right spec. In Red Line.

Replaced front brakes. One piston was seized, I could have probably re sealed it but we're hopefully going to some pretty remote places so I didn't think it was worth the risk.

Retro fitted MB cruise control (only £46) but I'm now struggling to find someone with MB star to enable it. My local MB car dealer flatly refused (I guess they didn't want the riff raff in their white vans lowering the tone of their parking lot). The nearest commercial dealer seems a bit of a joke. Spoke to 4 different people, one of whom said he would call me back but of course never did. They said it was a 2hr job. I know it's a 15 minute job. Ah well.

4 New shocks going on this week. I tried to source some Koni Heavy Tracks but no luck they don't do 4x4 shocks so I've had to buy MB ones.

Elevating roof going on next week after which the internal stuff starts in ernest. I've bought most of the stuff. This camper conversion business is a quick way of shredding money:laughing: but I can't wait to hit the road.

Vague route:

France down the Atlantic coast. Into Spain.
Follow the Pyrenees to the Mediterranean. About 1,200 miles.

Maybe cross over to Morocco and head south (depends on the time of year, it gets pretty hot) A friend has a house in northern Morocco so that's a handy stopping off place. Again dependent on the time of year we may carry on south as for as The Gambia for some winter Sun.

Through France, into Italy and head south. Stop off at a friend's place in there the far south of Italy for a while.
Ferry crossing to Greece / Corfu.

Greece to Croatia, maybe Turkey, Romania then who knows......:clapping:

Last edited:

mikesprints

How do Ed? Now that's a real step bumper. Send it over now!

I've noticed the side marker lights on the body side moldings for the Euro models but never on the fenders. Is that factory? Curious too that it looks like theres no 3rd brake light conversely

Ed463

How do Ed? Now that's a real step bumper. Send it over now!

I've noticed the side marker lights on the body side moldings for the Euro models but never on the fenders. Is that factory? Curious too that it looks like theres no 3rd brake light conversely
Yes the side marker lights are factory.

I was a little surprised that there wasn't a 3rd brake light, I guess it must have been manufactured just before they became mandatory.

The rear step it after market. I'm trying to find some discreet side steps something like the Nerf Hoops but the only things you can get in the UK are the blingy / chrome full length running boards which I really dislike.

Ed463

Finally making some progress.

Things like finishing off work and sorting out an alternative income to keep us in food and diesel when we hit the road have taken priority.

Elevating roof fitted:thumbup:

Interior fitting out starts next week.

Attachments

Ed463

Started the interior today.

Cut some holes in it as well :o

The big black thing is a combi air and water heater. It stores 10 litres of hot water and then turns into an instant hot water heater which should be great. It will have internal and exterior showers.

Oh and first fix wiring, I really can't get my head around switched earths :roll:

Side walls lined, with any luck carpeting tomorrow.

Attachments

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
:drool: You guys have so much better component selection in Europe-land.

Looking good :thumbup:

Is that heater a propane or diesel fueled unit?

Ed463

So it's progressing well but slowly.

This week I should finish the water and gas, it's then onto the home straight of shower and kitchen unit.

Thoughts, stuff I've learnt and useful sources.
Tools.
Quality counts and you get what you're paying for.
I have a no name jig saw for example. It simply refuses to cut a straight line, it does great curves but without exception they are never in the right direction. In contrast the tools that I've borrowed at my brother in laws workshop are either dewalt or Makita. They make life so much easier. IMHO Makita are better than dewalt.

Time.
Multiply what ever you estimated by a factor of 2 or 3, especially when you've not done this stuff before. I've invested maybe 150hrs into it so far. This is gross time. You do need to spend loads of time drinking tea and just looking at the job?
If that fails you need to retire to your "private" room for a sit down and contemplate the situation.

It's not what you know but who.
Drawing on my brother in laws knowledge and forums like this has saved me many hrs on the internet or making costly mistakes.

Go slowly.
As I've said I'm super impatient but rushing simply won't work. You'll either regret it, need to do it again or throw money at it.

Some useful web sites, UK and Europe biased I'm afraid:
Miriad. Mountains of camper specific stuff.http://www.miriad-products.com/
Cak Tanks. Great for water tanks and fittings. http://www.caktanks.co.uk/
Off road Mannie. German based company. http://www.offroadmanni.eu/Home-1
I got my snorkel and sump guard off them. Really nice quality and way cheaper than I could find in the UK. In the odd email exchange he seems completely fluent in English. I'm not sure if he will post to North America. The sump/gearbox guard was 139 euros.

Last edited:

Ed463

You won't find gas available in some outback areas of Australia. In fact some only have Diesel, that is why I am going with all Diesel in a new van I have ordered.

Rob.
Just as well I'm not going there in this van then:clapping: and if I did I don't think I'd be worried about hot water or heating:thinking:
I didn't mean gas is literally available everywhere!

I agree diesel is the safer / easier solution usually but this combination unit suited our needs and I got a great price on it.

Last edited:

sailquik

How large a hole was required in the LH/Offside (UK) fender to feed the air from the snorkel into
the Sprinter air box, and how does the snorkel mate up with the air box in the bonnet?
Roger

Ed463

How large a hole was required in the LH/Offside (UK) fender to feed the air from the snorkel into
the Sprinter air box, and how does the snorkel mate up with the air box in the bonnet?
Roger
It's 90mm so a 92mm hole saw is just right.

It comes with silicone ducting which fits directly onto the air box.

Top Bottom