NJ mechanic needed

NJRoadie

I have an '05 T1N with power issues. It randomly goes into limp home mode, cutting out the turbo. I have it at a mechanic, and he is flummoxed by what is happening. He suggested that I take it to someone who has access to a DRB-III. He has already cleaned the turbo, swapped out the MAF for a known good, and swapped out the EGR for a known good.

The current code seems to indicate a bad primary control module. He is not comfortable changing it as it is expensive and the other codes all led to dead ends.

Does anyone know of a good NJ mechanic with the right scanner?

Thanks!
-Ken

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
Most of these issues are the result of Turbo air leaks. Either the Rubber Turbo hoses have cracks or a split in them, or if you have a 2004 thru 2006 Sprinter, the Turbo-Resonator (always my first suspect). The Turbo-Resonator fails a lot in exactly the way you describe (it gets small cracks in it, giving a partial air leak that occasionally causes LHM when under load).

There is an Aluminum part that can replace the Turbo-Resonator (it will never crack again), or a much cheaper Dorman replacement part (better than the factory part, but may eventually fail again later). Many entries on this forum discuss issues and resolution of the Turbo-Resonator.

Having the proper Diagnostic DRBIII tool (or a DAD) also requires that you have some experience interpreting what it is telling you - in the case of LHM, you will never get an error code that tells you a specific part to change, but rather the effect of what is causing the problem. Often the solution requires knowing the T1N extreemly well.

Top Bottom