PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Fuel Cap & Filler connection?

MikeP
03-22-2016, 12:14 AM
Hi, Did a search but mostly read up on plastic oil cap replacement. Good read cause my fuel cap is pretty rusty.
Plus, I know my questions are usually novice and/or dumb silly:bash: questions but figure better ask than find out the hard way that something needed to be done different.

Anyway, this is first for me after filling fuel since 1960's.
Went same station normally do to fill Sprinter for last 8 years. Pumped, always only set on first catch so no great pressure on filling, so takes a few minutes. Read on board that high rate of filling might cause problems:bow:.
Filled up and tried pull nozzle out but it got hung-up. This is normal with wire around nozzle usually take couple attempts to get out:bash:.
Don't know if cause wire on fuel nozzle or where I'm sitting pretty low in my powerchair.
Anyway, usually just rotate nozzle a bit and right out it comes.
Second attempt out it came and I returned it to pump.

This when problem happened. Fuel cap would not go on. Tried couple times and then took a look.
Cap looked same as usual. But, noticed where the cap's wings that fit in filler tube one side had a tab sticking up out of filler tube.
Figure nozze caught on this and bent it up.
I bent it back even with top if filler rim using my thumb. But, cap still would not ho on straight.
So, I bent tab further in the filler tube. This time fuel cap went on.
I removed/replaced cap on the filler tube couple times and seems to work OK.

Question, should I just leave it along or do I need to maybe use slip-lock pliers and bent tab backward to nearly flat on inside of filler tube rim?

Should not having a tight seal on 2003 cause any problem?

Sincerely, "Thank you" as always I appreciate all of you for assisting with questions and what need to do.

NelsonSprinter
03-22-2016, 04:54 PM

Question, should I just leave it along or do I need to maybe use slip-lock pliers and bent tab backward to nearly flat on inside of filler tube rim?

Should not having a tight seal on 2003 cause any problem?

Sincerely, "Thank you" as always I appreciate all of you for assisting with questions and what need to do.

I would bend it back so it doesn't get caught again.
Not having a tight seal will only lead to fuel escaping if you fill to max and park in a hot day, or if van is flipped on it's side, it's not explosive but damages the environment with flammable toxins.