DEF lockout, can't talk to it...ideas??

1reddog48

Currently Vanless. So sad....
So I had a customer bring in a 2015 Sprinter based Winnebago that they drove until it ran out of DEf and locked itself into limp mode. They filled the DEF tank and it's still in limp mode, with the DEF light illuminated and a "42d" flashing and "dinging" at start up.
I hooked my Snappy scanner and tried to clear codes, no luck. I hooked up to it with DAS/Xentry and am talking to the van, but cannot get it to go thru the entire "refill AdBlue" process, or clear the 4 related codes?
I'm pretty handy, but no very experienced with DAS. Any thoughts other than put in on a flatbed for a 4 hour ride to Denver and the dealer?

Thanks in advance, and my apologies if this is covered elsewhere. I searched and found several threads, but nothing that really helped. :idunno:

Which version of xentry are you using and what is the production date of the van? Are you able to communicate with both the SCR and the CDI control units? Are you verify the fill levels with the actual values in the SCR control unit?

I ran into a similar problem on a R350 Bluetec a few years ago and needed to flash the SCR unit. Short of that, you can always try disconnecting the system battery for a few hours and see if the SCR module will reset. Long shot but worth a try.

Good luck,
Mike

1reddog48

Thanks Mike. I think my version is too old for this application, and updating it is not an option. Looks like it is destined for a flatbed ride to the Dealer.

You may still want to disconnect the battery for a few hours before putting it on the hook. I just had a conversation with the shop foreman at the local dealer about the weird software problems we are running into on the new Sprinters. Even the dealer is having to use that old trick of disconnecting the battery. I just had a 2010 906 with a DEF fill level light on in the cluster but not in countdown mode. Actual values in the SCR module showed all three sensors were wet and not codes in any of the control modules. Disconnecting the battery for three hours worked on that one.

Keeping the updated software and hardware is getting to be a real challenge. I just bought the newer multiplexer and software that gets me up to 12/15. Hard to justify paying the price but really necessary if you are going to work on anything newer than 2013.

Mike

lindenengineering

Thanks Mike. I think my version is too old for this application, and updating it is not an option. Looks like it is destined for a flatbed ride to the Dealer.
Only latest and greatest Snap On program will do it.
We have the lastest update since do other vehicles, modules and platforms!
We use Autologic for the most part which will do almost everything a dealer can do and have the Snappy for back up on Sprinters.

Only at the last resort (like ABS string codes) do I contract out stuff to the dealer unless I have to, and that includes EIS systems too!
Dennis

1reddog48

If I did more work like this, the updates would be a must, but this is a once in a great while deal for me. The vehicle belongs to an out of state visitor, so as much as I wanted to help him out (and be a hero), I had few logical choices. Dennis, FWIW, i would have referred him to you as i do most folks that i can't help with Sprinters, but he had already drank the Dealership kool-aide and was convinced the they were the only source for help.

lindenengineering

Yes I know!
I had a customer drop off an S Class who was out of state stranded on a Saturday.
Convinced ONLY the dealer can do this.
Well we fixed the locking system in a shorter period than the dealer could do it.

Remember that there are folk out there that consider the MB badge on the front to be the insignia of the Starship Enterprise when in fact its ONLY an MB.
I personally consider the 2015 5 Litre Ford Mustang to be far superior in all aspects including the shape!
Whatta car!:thumbup::thumbup:
Dennis

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I personally consider the 2015 5 Litre Ford Mustang to be far superior in all aspects including the shape!
Whatta car!:thumbup::thumbup:
Dennis
My fiend in Florida has a 2014 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500. It started with 662 HP off the showroom floor. He had it tuned for closer to 700 HP. What a wild ride indeed!

Top Bottom