PDA

View Full Version : DMV: "Title problem"

Llarry
10-15-2008, 04:33 PM
:hmmm: Initial vehicle registrations in Oregon are for four years :rad: but my old registration expires and I don't get a renewal form from DMV. Call them up and they tell me that there is a "problem" with my title and I will need to take my title in to the office to renew and fix the problem. OK, fine...

My Sprinter was registered as a Dodge Van back in '04 (actually a DODG VA :lol:) but Oregon has decided that Sprinter is not a model, but a make. So mine is being retitled as a Sprinter Van (something like SPRN VA -- that should be fun if I ever get stopped by a cop... )

So here's the scenario. A year ago at some small DMV office in Oregon (maybe in Zig-Zag?) there are three people in line:
DMV Employee: "Next."
Customer #1: "Hi. I'd like to register my Freightliner Sprinter. Here's my form."
Employee: "OK, sir. Let me just take a quick look at the vehicle to check the VIN. Wow! That's a nice van you've got there. Freightliner, huh? First one I've seen. Here's your tags and stickers. Have a nice day. Next customer, please."
Customer #2: "Good morning. I'd like to register my Dodge Sprinter van. Is this the form that I'm supposed to fill out?"
Employee: "Yes, sir, that's it. Is the vehicle here? I need to confirm the correct VIN. Oh, wait a minute... :thinking: OK, so this is your Dodge van? It looks just like that Freightliner over there, doesn't it?"
#2: "Well the grille is different and see, mine says 'Freightliner' on it."
Employee: "So it does. OK, then....here's your new plates. Next."
Customer #3: "Hello. Is this where I register my vehicle? It's that Mercedes Sprinter over there."
Employee: "Gladys, can you please help this customer? I need a break."

:laughing:

ferratilis
10-15-2008, 09:21 PM
I hear that, and I would expect more "title problems" in the future from the state, with their newly designated make and model. :laughing:

BaywoodBill
10-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Hi Llarry, I like your dialogue.:bounce:

Altered Sprinter
10-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Louis I can handle the Dodge, and the Freightliner! But a Mercedes Benz?..give me a break:lol:
That is so funny.
Richard

avid
10-17-2008, 01:51 AM
This caused me to go and check my Oregon registration today. Mine is listed as an Airstream which it is, but no mention of Dodge or any auto manufacturer. The only thing that ticked me off was I had no choice of license plates only the standard issue dijon yellow Oregon plates, YEECH!

Llarry
10-17-2008, 06:01 PM
I've got Crater Lake vanity plates.

So with an Airstream like yours, do you have an Airstream VIN, or is the original chassis VIN still valid?
Sprinter VINs should be WD... (W for Germany, D for Daimler-Chrysler vans, I assume...)

This caused me to go and check my Oregon registration today. Mine is listed as an Airstream which it is, but no mention of Dodge or any auto manufacturer. The only thing that ticked me off was I had no choice of license plates only the standard issue dijon yellow Oregon plates, YEECH!

avid
10-17-2008, 08:08 PM
I've got Crater Lake vanity plates.

So with an Airstream like yours, do you have an Airstream VIN, or is the original chassis VIN still valid?
Sprinter VINs should be WD... (W for Germany, D for Daimler-Chrysler vans, I assume...)

The VIN begins with WD. The only people who were confused were the insurance company. It took two tries to get the right VIN. I know we were confused at first.

It appears that Sprinters registered as a van get a choice of plates but those resisted as a Motorhome are given the yellow plate.

sprinterusa
10-21-2008, 04:43 AM
Next is VW LT or VW CRAFTER VAN.
Now is the full confusion on MVD worker

Llarry
11-02-2008, 05:44 PM
I got my new title. Thanks, Oregon.

But the new one says that I have a:
Make: DODG
Style: VA
Model: SPR

:crazy: So what was the problem? I no longer have the original title to see what Model they used to call it. Oregon allows only a very few letters for each of these three items, which means they then have to come up with creative abbreviations for makes and models.

Whatever... :rolleyes: :snore: