PDA

View Full Version : 04 freightliner Sprinter antifreeze question

04 freightliner
03-11-2016, 07:50 AM
I'm going to add g05 antifreeze in my rad. My question is do I fill it to the cap like most vehicle's or do I add it just till I see some showing inside the canister? Any insight would be helpful.

Cheers
:rad:

lindenengineering
03-11-2016, 02:11 PM
The system is basically self purge having the t/stat in the top pipe.
Remove the cap and observe a bridge bar about 30 mm down into the lower neck.
Fill to that level and test run to normal heat and let the engine cool; then re-check the level top up as necessary .
Don't forget the cap an essential part of the system! It needs replacement every 100,000 miles and look for either a new genuine one or good aftermarket like a Stant (0.8 bar spec.)
Also while you are at it, check your coolant level sensor by simply twisting it and removing to check is functionality. Read important!
Dennis

Oilburner
03-11-2016, 02:15 PM
When you open the cap, you will see how much to add- there is piece of plastic, which has MAX word on it, if you don"t see it, that means level is high. Your rad has integrated reservoir, so can't be filled up to the cap.

MikeP
03-11-2016, 05:58 PM
Just in case have a flashlight handy when you check level. That Max mark is hard to see down in that darkness.

04 freightliner
03-11-2016, 06:25 PM
Exellent. Thankyou

Nighthawk
05-05-2016, 02:57 AM
Guys, how often I have to replace antifreeze? ( Freightliner 2004 )

lindenengineering
05-05-2016, 03:53 AM
Between 80 and 100,000 miles max.
Less so if it has been contaminated with water to concentrations below 15% where acidity on SOME A/F's have a wild reaction especially with combustion gases. In short acidic concentrations can rise alarmingly.
Dennis
Mechanic

Midwestdrifter
05-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Between 80 and 100,000 miles max.
Less so if it has been contaminated with water to concentrations below 15% where acidity on SOME A/F's have a wild reaction especially with combustion gases. In short acidic concentrations can rise alarmingly.
Dennis
Mechanic

Interesting. What is your logic? Is this based on testing, observations of condition or? Just curious.

Zerex G05 Coolant (meets MB spec I believe?) says 300k miles or 3 years life? Few would hit the 300k limit, but 3 years seems fairly reasonable?

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/g-05-antifreeze-coolant

lindenengineering
05-06-2016, 01:06 PM
Interesting. What is your logic? Is this based on testing, observations of condition or? Just curious.

Zerex G05 Coolant (meets MB spec I believe?) says 300k miles or 3 years life? Few would hit the 300k limit, but 3 years seems fairly reasonable?

http://www.valvoline.com/our-products/antifreeze-products/g-05-antifreeze-coolant

In short if you dilute the A/F mix to below a certain point antifreeze mix will start be more acidic and can cause some items to corrode.
Some antifreeze solutions once down to about 15% can adopt a strong corrosive nature, it depends upon their formulation. Some engines are worse that others having a tendency to promote this acidic build up.
I have several cases in my experiences.
Place South Africa.
Product a bus fleet.
Problem- Corrosion of alum parts.
Engines affected- both Leyland and Gardner
Worst affected-- Gardner
Source Local antifreeze.
Type OAT
Problem traced to acidic build up! Maintenance crews topping off with tap water reducing the A/F and additive concentration.
Remedy check the concentration at every servicing interval with test strips or flush and fill more frequently
Change supplier of A/F solutions.

Dennis
Mechanic

Aqua Puttana
05-06-2016, 01:27 PM
Type OAT
Problem traced to acidic build up! Maintenance crews topping off with tap water reducing the A/F and additive concentration.
Remedy check the concentration at every servicing interval with test strips or flush and fill more frequently
Change supplier of A/F solutions.

Dennis
Mechanic
Not to be argumentative, but G-05 and what MB recommends using is HOAT technology. That is designed for longer service life.

I believe that I read where always conservative Mother Mercedes suggests a 150,000 mile service interval.

:cheers: vic

lindenengineering
05-08-2016, 06:08 AM
For info HOAT technology was first instituted by Euro manufactures to correct the hardness & other properties of regular tap water in Europe.
BMW started the trend the Asian manufacturers quickly followed suit. Here in NA the water in general is softer compared with that on the other side of the pond. HOWEVER premix is preferred using purified water as a diluted solution for obvious reasons.

Deposited solids can potentially be a problem since they tend to settle in dead zones inside the block. Since most engine installations have a tilt in the frame plus some lateral inclination, the highest concentration is at the rear most cylinder(s). Consequently engines which have an abnormal NOx failure in gasoline engines for example might simply be traced down the rearmost cylinders running hotter due to the lack of cooling. The Landrover V8 engine family series being a good example but there are others like Chevrolet Vees as well.

Now LR for example is a bit pedantic about cooling system service at 90K!
If the rig misses this important service interval point (often due to budgetary issues) it is fairly predictable that the engine if not fully serviced at this interval will fail in about a further 40,000 miles from overheating issues and lost coolant.

The same can be said of MB engines and the general service data which suggests a coolant flush @ 80,000 miles.
Again sediment can be an issue and T1N engine having failed and deemed fit for reconstruction often have to be boiled out in the hot tank to remove such contaminants before they can be rebuilt.
These issues are important because you can reach that 1,000,000 miles in your T1N Sprinter if you look after the cooling system. In any case water pumps usually have a habit of failing glands by 150,000 miles! So the rig will get a coolant clear out in any case but a full block flush is rarely considered.
That why MB put a screwed freeze plug at the back of the block--great thinking!
Dennis
Mechanic