K&N PS-7004 oil filter

Has anyone used the K&N PS-7004 engine oil filter for the I5 Sprinter engine? I'm not a fan of K&N air filters, but that is something for another discussion. The reason I ask is simple, money. It seems Walmart carries the K&N PS-7004 filter for the low price (online) of $5.38 and I'm pretty sure that was the same price I saw in the store.

I opened the box and the filter was marked "made in Korea".

Just wondering what others thoughts were. The Mann filters all seem to be made in China now, and I have one Hengst filter on hand and they cost in the $10 range if I order them online. Other brands of this filter I have found in the auto parts stores have been crazy priced, in the $20 range.

Charles

Last edited:

lindenengineering

Charles simply go to the dealer and buy a genuine MB filter in an MB box --$35
Its that simple--Don't dick with aftermarket crap!
Dennis

Its an oil filter, not a rocket engine part. The dealer has their noses stuck so high up in the air they are suffering from a lack of oxygen. The MB dealer is about 35 or 40 miles from me, and the one time I stopped in to ask about what a key would cost, they about had a duck when I parked my Nissan LEAF. I got a rather snotty answer from the parts guy when he found out it was a 2006 Dodge and I just said thank you and left. I can easily buy one of the more popular brands (Mann, Hengst, Mahle) online if I need, I'll bet one of them makes the MB branded part anyhow, no different than Purolator making the Ford Motorcraft filters.

Looking at Amazon, the GENUINE MB filter is marked MANN FILTER and is less than $18 with free shipping, so why would I want to go to the dealer and pay more, plus sales tax for the same thing?

I appreciate your posts on this board, and have generally found them very useful, but your reply simply makes no cent$...........

Charles

GaryJ

Here since 2006
I think Dennis was just trying to steer you away from considering anything made in China or Korea. Those are the filters you were asking about, right?

Gary

lindenengineering

I think Dennis was just trying to steer you away from considering anything made in China or Korea. Those are the filters you were asking about, right?

Gary
I see more failures from bad aftermarket filters than anything else!
The installation of a bad air filter will mess with your air flow and in the 906 platform might just prompt you to have to do an air filter adaption.

You might save a few on the front end but the cost in poor filtration on the back end can amount to lots of money.

This
Coming from someone a few years ago that was contracted to change pistons and liners in 6 truck engines in TChad! All because of bad aftermarket air filters branded MANN-- Made in India!
Buyer Beware!
Dennis

I must admit that I also have my prejudices as to countries of manufacture. As time goes on with our world economy it is getting more difficult for me to stay with the manufacturing countries which are my prejudiced preference. Even dealership supplied parts are no longer manufactured in the countries that they once were.

With some items a person can somewhat verify quality level visually to be able to still get quality parts and not spend money needlessly. Given some information an oil filter may fall into that category.

Some info is here.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22896

The above said, with all the problems highlighted about K&N oiled air filters, that brand name would have me looking to other possibilities.

:2cents: vic

lindenengineering

Vic
I can reiterate your post with incidences.
About 30 years ago there was a frenzy to buy ex Swiss Army Pinzgauers and many of them ended up in Colorado.
Then folk ran into miss-fire problems and 2 gas E failures.
The culprit was Bosch spark plugs!!
Now the standard install was Bosch ex factory and ex Swiss Army!
BUT the plugs used were made in Germany!

US owners were buying Bosch in innocence from parts stores but made the fatal mistake by not reading the small print or stamping--Made in India or Made in Brazil.
The construction of the plug did not meet the ignition specs of the Styer engine--result miss fires!

I suppose on the same theme I re-built a nice late 1970 MB SL series car for a German bloke who on the face of it was happy with the end result.
Several months later he was back with diluted crankcase oil and driveability issue.
Taking a look at the plugs I saw Bosch--Made in India where I had previous installed Delco plugs that matched the old Bosch Spec exactly. Car ran nice upon delivery now bag of crap!

A terse discussion ensued over his changing of plugs for NO REASON.
The ultimate answer from our German moron of a customer---Quote No-one fits American plugs in a German car it must be Bosch!
My retort:-
Yes you do when the correct spec is no longer available from Germany and installing Indian plugs are not specified for that engine, it will cause problems that's why I installed Delco! Good reason enough! you moron!
The issue today is that DIY owners go for the cheapest and easier stuff available on line without a real thought as to what is being purchased,
Just because its got MANN Hengts or whatever on the box and sounds German doesn't mean it will meet the spec required.
Again buyer beware and try to keep emotion out of the equation guys when buying parts!
Its all about the money flogging cheap crap!
Dennis

Ignatius

On the Forgotten Highway
I found this to thread and wanted to post pictures of this oil filter after having used it for one year and 10,000 miles. No issues on my end and I would happily purchase another one. I did replace it with a Mahle filter from Blauparts due to having a $10 rewards discount at the time of purchase.

20200615_093930_HDR.jpg
20200615_093942_HDR.jpg
20200615_094017_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom