PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Transmission Help Atlanta (Freightliner)

SEG
03-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Hello,

I have a well maintained 2008 Freightliner Sprinter 2500 with 190,000 that has a bad case of RSN.
Im looking for some local help with with transmission part numbers or maybe even some less expensive labor to reduce this cost. My research shows that people in other states have had success changing the:
Conductor Plate Circuit Board (Unknown Part Number or best source)
and
Lock Up Solenoid (Unknown Part Number or best source)
I already have the fluid, gasket, plug and filter.

Thank you for any assistance.

pfflyer
03-10-2016, 09:03 PM
What part of Atlanta? I cant help you with part #'s but there are a couple independent shops that work on Sprinters around town that would be cheaper on labor. Definitely get your parts from Freightliner or online verses Atlanta MB dealers.

smiller
03-10-2016, 09:26 PM
What is the service history of the vehicle (i.e. when was the fluid last changed and do you know that it was the correct type?) Many have had success taming RSN with a fresh fluid change (using the correct spec fluid of course) and it may be worth a try doing this first, before tearing any deeper into the transmission.

SEG
03-11-2016, 01:10 AM
I purchased it directly from Ryder trucks with a minor RSN problem and brought it to a sprinter salvage shop for advise. They didn't have much help and just dealt in parts but they scanned it and said that they have never seen a Sprinter that was so well maintained and code free. and pointed out that all of the exhaust was replaced as well. All indications are that the right fluids have always been in the vehicle. Its getting worse. Searching this forum, this seems to be a very common issue... without a concise solution (NCV3). The people who made the PCB and solenoid changes sound the most certain.

mikesprints
03-11-2016, 01:34 AM
Hey Seg are you completely sure this noise is coming from the trans? I'm assuming that as this was a Ryder truck it's a 170? 3 - pc. driveshaft would mean you have 2 carrier bearings which can make some weird noises at varying speeds. That is I've had, a bad one make noise at 15-30ish, go away come back at 55-60 and fade away again.

If you search Rumble Strip Noise the T1N section and here in NCV3, 3-1 more prevalent on the older variant.

lindenengineering
03-11-2016, 02:04 AM
We at Linden have been quite successful at a cure.

The RSN symptom as you describe it can be plotted on a graphing scanner and the drop out and spike on the signature wave form can be observed on the screen.
Our general approach is to purge it of old fluid, replace the board, trans comms socket and lock up clutch solenoid.
Plus of course filter and fresh fluid!

With its now reassembled with fresh fluids we do a full re-adaption which from a cold soak works wonders.
The wave form should be flat lined with a dip and new signature line once checked on a road test.
Any remaining symptoms can often be eradicated with a dose of BG ATC which is caused by clutch plate conditions within the lock up clutch.
Yes we have replaced a few torque converters to acquire a fix but consider the final dose of BG ATC seems to do the trick!
A few weeks ago we had a 3500 Sprinter RV with a vicious RSN symptom which after conducting all the above activities, less torque converter change out, was re markedly better but sent it out for a cross country drive.
The owner reported steady improvement in the symptom until it totally disappeared after about 500 miles.
Having tested the van after the trip the graphing and current ramping of the lock up clutch shows a wave form conducive to a perfectly running unit so we called that one a fix!
Dennis

SEG
03-11-2016, 08:42 PM
Im north of Atlanta near Braselton but will travel to help.

I considered the driveshafts at first but eventually ruled it out. I do have all the new bearings and will replace them since I have them.

Dennis, Seeing as you are in a different part of the country, can you sell me the parts I need?

Rob

lindenengineering
03-11-2016, 10:04 PM
Rob
In short yes.
Just call me with a plastic number.
Dennis

SEG
04-11-2016, 12:54 PM
I just wanted to check in and let everyone know that the transmission work went smooth. (I did need to trim a bit of plastic where the dipstick passes through the conductor plate). I also rebuilt the driveshaft. Now the sprinter is perfect again!

Jonesy6626
04-11-2016, 10:14 PM
What was the magic bullet? The transmission, or the driveshaft?

lindenengineering
04-12-2016, 04:08 AM
Well I have douzie in today--No lock up clutch op!
Van in limp mode at times.

Van had a new torque converter installed a few weeks ago!

After tearing it open--Incorrect torque converter installed--OMG how did that happen?:thumbdown::lol:

So new torque and "cir-quit" board etc etc.
Gotta love this stuff!
Dennis
Mechanic

eightyeightkeys
10-13-2016, 10:38 PM
Hey Seg are you completely sure this noise is coming from the trans? I'm assuming that as this was a Ryder truck it's a 170? 3 - pc. driveshaft would mean you have 2 carrier bearings which can make some weird noises at varying speeds. That is I've had, a bad one make noise at 15-30ish, go away come back at 55-60 and fade away again.

If you search Rumble Strip Noise the T1N section and here in NCV3, 3-1 more prevalent on the older variant.

Hey Mike, I've got the 55 mph noise variant...manifests itself as quite the drone. So, annoying to be at a perfect highway speed for our RV...argh...

lindenengineering
10-14-2016, 01:24 AM
There is no magic bullet here!
That RSN condition as it sometimes called is caused ostensibly by the lock up clutch solenoid.

This condition can be graphed with a suitable scanner and the lock up clutch activity observed;
I must add that letting the fluid deteriorate to a point where its additives have been absorbed y chemical reaction and use and not changing the transmission fluid (a full service) is usually the culprit.
Dennis

bcislander
10-14-2016, 04:50 AM
There is no magic bullet here!
That RSN condition as it sometimes called is caused ostensibly by the lock up clutch solenoid.

This condition can be graphed with a suitable scanner and the lock up clutch activity observed;
I must add that letting the fluid deteriorate to a point where its additives have been absorbed y chemical reaction and use and not changing the transmission fluid (a full service) is usually the culprit.
Dennis

Dennis,

What lock up clutch solenoid parameter should I graph on my Autel MD 802? I tried torque converter duty cycle, but couldn't make sense of the activity, which seemed to vary with steady speed, acceleration and deceleration.

I get RSN at pretty well any highway speed when the engine is providing little or no force to keep the van rolling along, so I guess that's usually on a slight downhill section. The RSN stops when I accelerate or decelerate.

I'm trying to determine whether the RSN is caused by the drive shaft carrier bearing(s) or the torque converter.

If the RSN is caused by the torque converter solenoid, what is the cure? Transmission & torque converter fluid was changed less than a year ago.

bhowell_10
11-03-2016, 01:35 AM
I purchased the Dorman brand driveshaft. It came as a complete unit with all 3 sections, and included the bearings pre-installed. I was worried about the quality at first, but it appeared to be made much beefier and stronger in the bearing areas. It came with instructions, and also had stickers with arrows showing exactly how to install the sections together to make it installed in the exact alignment that it was balanced as a unit in. It was pretty much idiot proof, and only took about an hour. I have only had it installed for 1000 miles, but it eliminated the whining and droaning that I heard between 5 and 15 mph from the front area. Considering buying other options that might be a partial fix, or throwing parts at the problem this was the choice that I went with. I'm happy so far. I'll update if I have any issues down the road, but so far I'm happy with my purchase. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality when I opened the box. Mercedes-Benz should have made the driveshaft better from the factory.

Froggy
11-04-2016, 11:12 PM
Sounds like a complete kit! Where (source) did you get the Dorman driveshaft? Thanks!

lockrob
11-06-2016, 12:38 PM
You should be able to get the Dorman shaft from
Most auto parts stores including RockAuto

Aqua Puttana
11-06-2016, 01:36 PM
I purchased the Dorman brand driveshaft.
.... I'll update if I have any issues down the road, but so far I'm happy with my purchase. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality when I opened the box.
Does it have grease fittings?

Please do let us know after some miles. Some other Dorman products have good reviews. I'd go that route for the driveshaft if/when needed. That said, I think that the Dorman turbo hoses have less than stellar service life.

Mercedes-Benz should have made the driveshaft better from the factory.
:idunno:
My 2004 OEM driveshaft has over 300K. I know of others with more.

Good to know about the Dorman option though.

:cheers: vic