Retrofit of Cross Wind Assist

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
That media announcement is from 2014. Has anyone in the USA done this? Also wonder if it can be fit onto my 2012 3500. My last trip with strong cross winds was very tiring.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long

sailquik

I called/emailed/asked MB USA and MB Sprinter USA plus sent emails to the POC's in Germany listed on the media announcement.
No one from Germany replied.
The one phone reply I rec'd from MB Sprinter USA basically said they were not going to be involved in the retro-fit campaign for
Crosswind Assist (even on 316/319/2500 Sprinters) because it would require new sensors and programming.
I was asking about adding the crosswind assist on my 2014 170" wb 516 Series (3500 USA) and they definitely stated that retro-fitting a 516/519/3500 series would
not be possible as there are too many variables.
The entire "retro-fit campaign" apparently was never intended for the 4 and 5 series (weight class here) Sprinters with dual rear wheels or the SuSi rear axle.
Unfortunately you cannot order a DRW/SuSi Sprinter with Crosswind Assist. Guess MB engineering decided the DRW/SuSi Sprinters are stable enough in crosswinds
without the "assistance".
Not at all what the media announcement sugggested.
Roger

Last edited:

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Thanks Roger - good to know you researched this.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate from 2012 Sprinter 3500 tall & long

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Measure your front and rear swaybar; they could be undersize.

Heavyduty front measures @ 20mm/0.79in, rear measures @ 33mm/1.3in.

Also; the newer redesigned bushings will tighten things up.

:2cents:
btw; my long and tall with the heavy sway bars (loaded or empty), it's not a handful in the wind.

Any comments from experience with the cross wind assist, are there any negatives. On my 2015 I though I would get all the "assist" options as Lane change assist, Departure lane warning and front end impact warning. Now when I drive I shut them all off because they are so annoying, more annoying than that skunk you simply swerve over to avoid running down. Last think I need is the van to BEEP BEEP at me.
But interested to learn how the cross wind works!
Thanks
Mike

zither99

i believe i have it on the 2015 4x4 but it never kicked in yet... I think the van would have to be sliding sideways or something

PLOUGHLIN

Any comments from experience with the cross wind assist, are there any negatives. On my 2015 I though I would get all the "assist" options as Lane change assist, Departure lane warning and front end impact warning. Now when I drive I shut them all off because they are so annoying, more annoying than that skunk you simply swerve over to avoid running down. Last think I need is the van to BEEP BEEP at me.
But interested to learn how the cross wind works!
Thanks
Mike
How it works in practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S3emBK1sPA

Top Bottom