PDA

View Full Version : Snapped my antenna off washing what's that going to cost?

sunnyside
03-06-2016, 11:33 AM
Yup, snapped like a twig. Do I need to remove my front head liner to replace? Do I have to replace the whole unit?

2012 NCV3

lindenengineering
03-06-2016, 01:16 PM
Yes
Its about $165 from the dealer and you will have the joy or dropping the head liner.
Dennis

OrioN
03-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Yes
Its about $165 from the dealer and you will have the joy or dropping the head liner.
Dennis
Less than $90 online and most times done without removing the liner via and removed lamp or tray opening.

lindenengineering
03-06-2016, 02:15 PM
At $90 bucks--Made in China!
Bloke you bought it from has imported it for about ten bucks, & is making lottsa money and lives in a nice big house on Biscayne Bay. Larfing all the way to the bank!:rolleyes:
Yeh I know it cheaper on Fleabay !
Dennis

OrioN
03-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Bloke you bought it from has imported it for about ten bucks, & is making lottsa money and lives in a nice big house on Biscayne Bay. Larfing all the way to the bank!:rolleyes:
Dennis
Oem is oem. Not sure what the point of your point was.

sunnyside
03-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Hey, good Sunday morning to ya. Got a quick response from two of my favorite forum folks already.

Big thanks to Dennis and also the ever controversial OrioN

lindenengineering
03-06-2016, 02:31 PM
Oem is oem. Not sure what the point of your point was.

OE Manufacture
OEM Aftermarket manufacture
Nuff stated!:rolleyes:
Dennis

bcislander
03-06-2016, 02:59 PM
Yup, snapped like a twig. Do I need to remove my front head liner to replace? Do I have to replace the whole unit?

2012 NCV3

Depends on where the antenna broke. The antenna screws into the base, so, if the base hasn't broken, it may just be a simple matter of unscrewing the antenna remnant and screwing in the replacement.

jcmadeintheshade@gmail.com
03-06-2016, 06:15 PM
If mine were to snap off, I would relocate that misguided location to the drivers side above the door just off the windshield A-frame pillar.

When I designed my full roof rack with front and side air dams, the antenna ended up being under the front air dam piece above the windshield. I was fortunate I didn't have to remove it and made it fit where it is, but that location does not make sense to this observer.

I don't use the radio anyway, so the antenna wouldn't be missed, as cd's are my choice for any time spent on the road.

As a footnote, if there are any forum members in my North coastal San Diego area who would be able to post photos of my self designed full roof rack, I would welcome the opportunity to share my one of a kind aluminum framed full roof rack with all here? Thanks to all here.

SprinterHelp
03-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Dennis

I am so sick of Clinton family who sold our morals, ethics and business formulas that made part of our country rich (not the half that invades countries and steals their wealth and now ours), we need out of the U.N. who will aid China with force to eninint domain our properties which Hillary Spy gauranteed to China. The U.N. has aquired the power to revoke jurisdiction to hundreds of monuments and national parks and one county surrounding these locations. You will be kicked out and soon to be coming.

Plug the hole with silicone, buy a universal antenna (probably work better) or get one in junk yard.

Im done...literally, how do you run a business when homeless immigrants who even run hazmat for .50 cents a mile.

sunnyside
03-06-2016, 06:58 PM
I am so sick of Clinton family who sold our morals, ethics and business formulas that made part of our country rich (not the half that invades countries and steals their wealth and now ours), we need out of the U.N. who will aid China with force to eninint domain our properties which Hillary Spy gauranteed to China. The U.N. has aquired the power to revoke jurisdiction to hundreds of monuments and national parks and one county surrounding these locations. You will be kicked out and soon to be coming.

Plug the hole with silicone, buy a universal antenna (probably work better) or get one in junk yard.

Im done...literally, how do you run a business when homeless immigrants who even run hazmat for .50 cents a mile.

WHOA WHOA, WHOA THERE MOLLY, THE WHEELS ARE BREAKIN UP ON THE CONESTOGA AND MA's PEEANNA HAS BOUNCED OUT.

Aqua Puttana
03-06-2016, 09:13 PM
If mine were to snap off, I would relocate that misguided location to the drivers side above the door just off the windshield A-frame pillar.

When I designed my full roof rack with front and side air dams, the antenna ended up being under the front air dam piece above the windshield. I was fortunate I didn't have to remove it and made it fit where it is, but that location does not make sense to this observer.

I don't use the radio anyway, so the antenna wouldn't be missed, as cd's are my choice for any time spent on the road.

As a footnote, if there are any forum members in my North coastal San Diego area who would be able to post photos of my self designed full roof rack, I would welcome the opportunity to share my one of a kind aluminum framed full roof rack with all here? Thanks to all here.
Were mine to break I'd take it another even further step.

The new style powered antennas seem fine for dragging in FM signals. We occasionally try to find sports events on AM when traveling home from trips. AM doesn't come in to speak of. I've seen where others have installed a traditional collapsible vehicle antenna outside on the A pillar. If you're really looking to bring in AM that is worth considering.

That said, I rarely depend upon radio stations either. Between built-in USB, external phono pin in, Bluetooth, and Iphone head unit capability, our music comes from sources other than the airwaves.

:2cents: vic

OrioN
03-07-2016, 03:14 AM
OE Manufacture
OEM Aftermarket manufacture
Nuff stated!:rolleyes:
Dennis

No.... not really.

Kindly explain how one is different from the other, and then how that negates my original statement. And for kickers, lets keep it in the context of the part in question stamped with MB emblems, part numbers and in 'Genuine MB' packaging...

:popcorn:

DieselFumes
03-07-2016, 03:46 AM
Back on topic...

If the antenna snapped off with a little piece of the housing around it, it's actually pretty easy to repair.

Unscrew the wire antenna from the piece of plastic
Screw in a well greased M6 bolt
Smear epoxy on the broken edges of the piece of plastic
Tape it in place to set.

The bolt gives you something for the tape to stretch against. It needs to be pushed in hard because there's a spring tab to ensure a good connection with the antenna. The grease means you won't epoxy the bolt in place.

After it's set up, screw the wire antenna back in and then gloop a bunch of Marine Goop or similar sealant over the whole repair, just in case the epoxy didn't make a full seal.

You can do all of this from the outside of the van without removing the antenna base. You just need a step ladder and good balance.

Rensho
06-04-2016, 06:05 AM
I just repaired mine. It had broken part of the base. Luckily that fractured surface allows a lot of contact area to allow it to be repaired with superglue. Another member mentioned he had fixed his with superglue. I haven't had much luck with this glue, but in this case, it worked! I held pressure on it for ~70 seconds and left it alone for 24hrs. I attached the screw on antenna after that, and it has worked for 2000 miles. I had thought about smearing a layer of epoxy or something around the glued area.

I think diesel fumes method is right on and has great detail.

What a horrible design. It is obvious that the base shell is FAR too thin. It should be thick enough to allow the antenna to flex and break off.

This winter, i'll have to remove the antenna, as a snow load of ~8" will break the antenna again.

steve08
06-04-2016, 09:08 PM
I replaced the whole antenna by just removing the light and tray above the mirror, I could reach the plugs and do the swap easily in the space provided. No need to remove any headliner.

johnshmit
06-04-2016, 11:34 PM
Plugged mine with silicone and left alone. Use internet radio anyways.

sunnyside
06-05-2016, 02:08 PM
Plugged mine with silicone and left alone. Use internet radio anyways.

Yep, iPod and blue tooth. That's what I did, plunged the hole. I am going to try to repair it, sooner or later. thanks to the advice given here.

Bigscore
06-05-2016, 03:09 PM
On the antenna topic, my 2010 has one mounted over the windshield about where the dome light is in the drivers area, and another mid roof about where the sliding door is. The mid roof antenna base is missing the antenna, what purpose is the mid roof antenna for, is it for a CB radio?

mjuevos
12-06-2018, 10:50 PM
how the heck do you guys get to the antenna itself? short of putting ladders on each side of the van and a wood blank spanning them.. what else works?

DougE
12-07-2018, 01:54 PM
To access the roof I use an extension ladder with towels wrapped on the end to prevent scratching.
If replacing the antenna, go with a shark fin type so you're less likely to snap it off again.