PDA

View Full Version : Stock USB port with aftermarket stereo?

303Z
02-25-2016, 12:27 AM
Anyone know of a way to keep the stock USB and line-in ports on the dash of a '15 Sprinter when installing an aftermarket stereo? I've talked to two stereo installers who say the proprietary Mercedes plug to the ports isn't compatible with anything they know of.

GSWatson
02-25-2016, 01:42 AM
Can you post a pic?

sprinterPaul
02-25-2016, 05:16 AM
http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=437671&postcount=84

I just ordered this. Should show up in about 30 days and do the job... I will post up in the other thread once it arrives. It should solve the USB issue. I'm not sure about the line in. I haven't traced those wires. I'm hopeful the metra connetor solves that for me.

(OK Metra connector doesn't solve the line in part)...will need to trace those wires and see where they go.

Norwest
02-25-2016, 10:38 PM
Paul,

The keying on the 4 pin FAKRA to USB adapter that you provided the link for is a bit different than what is on the Mercedes cable so it may not work (see attached picture of back of stock radio). I trimmed some of the rubber insulation off of the USB cable that came with the aftermarket stereo and mounted it into the stock plate. Just have it temporarily mounted and will hot glue or urithane glue it in place. The stock FAKRA 4 pin cable also carries the Aux input signal from the mini plug.

Norwest

sprinterPaul
02-26-2016, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the tip. I may splice wires when i get mine if it doesnt work. But im planning to use it to plug into the purple wire side and then into my pioneer h/u.

ryanpaquettte
09-23-2016, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the tip. I may splice wires when i get mine if it doesnt work. But im planning to use it to plug into the purple wire side and then into my pioneer h/u.

Any news if that adapter cable works? Im about to do the same thing.

sprinterPaul
09-23-2016, 03:25 AM
Mine did not. It all fit but some wiring must not be right. My head unit shut down the usb port immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprinter SS
09-23-2016, 10:04 AM
How about steering wheel compatibility with aftermarket head units?

sprinterPaul
09-23-2016, 01:10 PM
I don't have the steering wheel controls. But they make adapters to connect them to aftermarket head units. I think several people here have done it successfully.

sprinterPaul
01-04-2017, 04:56 PM
I ended up doing this finally to get usb working with stock look.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=515355&postcount=138