Program UltraGauge II to Indicate Re-Gen?

RestlessPrism

I have a 2015 3500 Motorhome, and I have purchased and used an UltraGauge II EM Plus. Is this gauge not compatible with indicating exhaust gas temp, which I understand will clearly indicate when re-gen is occurring?

Thanks,
Steve

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
My UltraGauge reads the two EGTs and they do indicate a Regen when they go above 1,100 degF.

Not sure if the UltraGauge will do the same on a 2015. Look for CatB1S1 and CatB1S2, these are the two sensors on either side of the DPF. Normal temps for me are 600-700 degF. When ReGen starts they climb to 1,100-1,250 degF.

I set the Cat alarms for 1,100 degF and see a ReGen every 350-400 miles.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate on 2012 Sprinter

bryan11

I used to have EGT readings on my UltraGauge until a Mercedes dealer software update eliminated it. I was sad. My sprinter is a 2013. I noticed the maintenance computer changed its intervals too after the update. When it was brand new it said 15K oil changes, after update? 10K oil changes.

smiller

2008 View J (2007 NCV3 3500)
You can look at the standard OBDII 'Cat 1 Bank 1' or Cat 1 Bank 2' PIDs to determine if a regen is in progress (you don't need any MB-specific stuff.) They will normally be in the 400-700F range and will rise to 1100-1200F during regeneration, it's quite obvious when it happens. On my V6 NCV3 they occur at roughly around 700 mile intervals and last about 10 minutes. They will occur both on the freeway and in stop-and-go traffic, if a regen is called for and current conditions are acceptable then away it goes.

I am using a Scangauge II but since these are standard OBDII PIDs I expect that the Ultragauge would be able to display them?

Last edited:

RestlessPrism

The closest available to "Cat 1 Bank 1" or "Cat 1 Bank 2" is
"Wide O2 ^ Bank 1 S1", which is described in the UltraGauge website as "Bank 1 Wide Oxygen Sensor 1 lambda Voltage". I'm guessing that this isn't a temperature sensor, and that I'm SOL with the available PDI's on my unit. But I do appreciate the feedback.
Steve

smiller

Yes, anything that says 'O2' or 'lamda' is indicating mixture (amount of oxygen), not temperature.

Rob S

2018 Navion 24G IQ on 2016 Sprinter
My ultra-guage offers the following 4 available readings

27 Catalytic Converter Bank 1 Sensor 1 Temperature (°F)
28 Catalytic Converter Bank 1 Sensor 1 Temperature (°C)
29 Catalytic Converter Bank 1 Sensor 2 Temperature (°F)
30 Catalytic Converter Bank 1 Sensor 2 Temperature (°C)

sailquik

So, you program your UG EM (or other OBD-II Performance monitoring device) to tell you all the exhaust sensor temps, maybe even the DPF canister
temps......so what does that get you?
You can't do anything about the exhaust temp, and you can't cause a regeneration (but you can see that it's happening, but what that gets you
I have no clue).
Much better to drive your Sprinter in a manner that makes looking at all the emissions devices sort of silly.
You (the driver) have no effect on them at all....they happen when the software and hardware decide/are programmed for them to happen.
Same with transmission fluid temp.
If you drive correctly, manually downshifting as needed, the trans temp stays within ~20 deg. F of the engine coolant temp.
Just my opinion,
Roger

smiller

The point of watching EGT isn't because you want to 'do something' about it or even care about the value, it's just to know when a regeneration is occurring since MB doesn't tell you otherwise. It's true that is not essential knowledge either, but I like to avoid interrupting a regen if I can. It's not a problem if it happens occasionally but if a regen is in process when I am nearing my destination and running the engine for just a few minutes longer will let it complete, why not? You like to run a vehicle in a manner that allows emissions controls to work properly and under the least stress to minimize maintenance issues and I agree... and this is a part of that regimen.

Last edited:

Rock Doc

I align with Roger, and just monitor the parameters that I can do something about. With my UltraGauge I follow LOD, fuel GPH, engine temp, instant MPG, trip MPG and Distance 'Til Empty.

If I can't really do anything about the parameter, I don't find much actual utility in following it. If there's a significant problem, I'll get a CEL or go into LHM, and then I'll know. The one other parameter I'd like to have is oil temp (a much better indicator than coolant temp for when the engine is truly at operating temperature), but I don't think that's one of my available PIDs.

The only other reason I can see to monitor other parameters is just for curosity's sake--which may be good enough of a reason do it if that's important to you!

:2cents:

Rock Doc

smiller

If I can't really do anything about the parameter, I don't find much actual utility in following it. If there's a significant problem, I'll get a CEL or go into LHM, and then I'll know.
If there is a problem why would you want to wait until there is a CEL or LHM condition before you know?

And BTW oil temp is available as an proprietary PID but I don't think Scangauge/Ultragauge can read it. It usually sits about 10 degrees higher than coolant temp and doesn't vary much, I think the heat exchanger unit is pretty efficient.

Last edited:

Trayscott

So, you program your UG EM (or other OBD-II Performance monitoring device) to tell you all the exhaust sensor temps, maybe even the DPF canister
temps......so what does that get you?
You can't do anything about the exhaust temp, and you can't cause a regeneration (but you can see that it's happening, but what that gets you
I have no clue).
Much better to drive your Sprinter in a manner that makes looking at all the emissions devices sort of silly.
You (the driver) have no effect on them at all....they happen when the software and hardware decide/are programmed for them to happen.
Same with transmission fluid temp.
If you drive correctly, manually downshifting as needed, the trans temp stays within ~20 deg. F of the engine coolant temp.
Just my opinion,
Roger
Simple, gear heads like to know what's going on with their vehicles. Why is this a problem! Mother Mercedes secret maybe!:crazy:

Top Bottom