Electrical issue with 2002 Sprinter

Megardt

Hi,

I've got a weird issue with my 2002 Sprinter. It's got the Sprintshift transmission but I don't think that it's causing this.

I can get into reverse or first gear but no others.

If I rev the engine all the fault lights in the dash turn off, same thing if I turn on something that uses power, for example the indicators.

Could this be the voltage regulator or a bad ground somewhere?

This is what using the indicators looks like;
https://youtu.be/KqiXGyt8kvU

Any other ideas?

Mats

rjz5400

you are in LHM or Limp Home Mode and it is sounding electrical. i would check the wiring harness and rear light housings for bad connections/broken wires.

search with those words in it will turn up something. I also think the hard LHM you have with the gears limited has to be reset via the computer.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
You may have a broken or lose signal relay at the bottom of the column fusebox, try removing and replacing or switching the 2 relays positions to see if there is a change.
Yes you may also have a rear light circuit board warp or shorting

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
I had the Transmission Relay coil fail (causing the relay not to provide power to the transmisson, and not allowing it to do anything except for transmission LHM). The Dodge dealer who used to sell them here doesn't stock any of the relays that the Sprinter uses (they can order them, but it may take a week to get them).

I ordered a bunch of of spares online - They were all 14 years old (I have a 2002 also), and some are energized 100% of the time when the engine is running.

Last edited:

Megardt

Hi!

Thank you all very much for the ideas. I'll get on testing them all this week :)

I'd rather have an electrical fault than a bad gearbox at any rate!

Mats

NORTON

If RHD, on the drivers side of the bell housing there is a multi wire connector located under a metal shield, this is for the Sprintshift operation , disconnect the plug and clean the contacts with quality electrical spray cleaner and examine the wires for possible faults

Megardt

Today I disconnected the alternator completely. No problem driving after that.

I'll try to order a new voltage regulator from ebay and replace. With a little luck we should be back in business after that :cheers:

Megardt

Hi all!

Just to finish this thread, the issue was the voltage regulator.

Now all gears engage nicely and the Mercedes runs fine!

Thanks for all the good advice!

Top Bottom