PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Sprinter gets stuck in gear and oil light

Why
02-21-2016, 07:12 AM
Hi guys,

New sprinter owner here and could use some help. I purchased the Sprinter recently and am having a couple issues with it.

The sprinter shifts/drives fine but will downshift into 4th gear when the speedometer goes over 66mph and lock me in 4th gear. I am unable to shift down or up hitting the +/- on the gear selector. It will stay in 4th gear(even at a stop, it'll start from 4th) until I pull over and turn off/on the Sprinter.

Also, there is an oil light on the dash. It is usually on but sometimes disappears for a bit and comes back. It sometimes says HI and sometimes says -2 quarts. I checked the oil dipstick and it is perfect.

Any ideas?

jmoller99
02-22-2016, 04:13 AM
Check to see if the wires to the TCM (under the drivers seat) feel oily - if they do, odds are good your Transmission Connector Sleeve's o-rings are leaky (Mercedes has redesigned this part 3 times because of this problem).

If its oily, clean it up with spray electrical cleaner (auto parts store will have It) and then change out the connector sleeve. Pull the battery cable before unplugging anything (NOTE: If you have the original radio that came with the Sprinter, you'll need to know the code to re-enable it, or just upgrade to better radio)

The transmission fluid wicks up and into this connection, causing odd ball operations. Lots of discussion about it on this forum.

If it says HI occasionally, you have too much oil in your Sprinter. You never want more than 9 1/2 quarts in it. Drain some out before you damage the engine. It is warning you for a reason (and it will get expensive if you ignore it). I never allow anyone to change my Sprinters Oil (I do it myself with Mobile Synthetic 0W40 - Walmart has 5 quarts for around $25 - Never put in more than 9 1/2 quarts).

Why
02-23-2016, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the reply. I looked underneath and it doesn't look like the wires are oily at all.

And like I stated in the original post, the oil level is right where it needs to be per the dipstick. The oil light bounces around between the "HI" and "-2 quarts" messages a few times during a drive.

Why
02-29-2016, 12:45 AM
Anyone have any suggestions ?

jmoller99
03-01-2016, 08:10 PM
I would connect up a Sprinter compatible ODBII reader and poll both the Transmission and Shifter to see what errors its throwing. That may tell you why the transmission is doing this.

A DAD or Dealer DRBIII may be required (however, there are other Sprinter compatible ODBII readers that can query the Transmission and Shifter subsystems - no generic ODBII reader will be able to help you).

My Shifter is quite confused at the moment (I have a new assembly coming from Europarts SD), but I figure after 14 years, I can't complain too much.

NOTE: the 2500 Shifters from 2004 thru 2006 are not compatible with the 2500 Shifters from 2002 and 2003. But the 3500 Shifters of all T1N years might be (so be careful if you end up buying a used one).

If you live within 100 miles of me, I'll be glad to help, but I would never loan out my DAD unit.

hkpierce
03-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. I looked underneath and it doesn't look like the wires are oily at all.

Just to confirm, you looked under the driver's seat at the TCM; not underneath the van at the connector with the transmission.

Why
03-05-2016, 02:40 AM
Just to confirm, you looked under the driver's seat at the TCM; not underneath the van at the connector with the transmission.

I looked under the van. Why would there be oily wires under the drivers seat ?

One call a/c
03-05-2016, 02:59 AM
When the trans connector leaks sometimes the fluid wicks up the wiring harness and makes it all the way to the transmission module that is located under the drivers seat. This is somewhat common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why
03-05-2016, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'll be sure to check when I am back in town tomorrow morning.

glas1700
03-05-2016, 06:45 PM
And like I stated in the original post, the oil level is right where it needs to be per the dipstick. The oil light bounces around between the "HI" and "-2 quarts" messages a few times during a drive.

Only check the oil level when the engine is at normal operating temperature, not on a cold engine and wait a few minutes for the oil to drain back before checking it.

sailquik
03-05-2016, 06:53 PM
The color of the dipstick handle determines if you need to check the oil level "hot", you will have a RED dipstick handle and for accurate level check the engine must be up
to full operating temperature.
Conversely, if you have a YELLOW dipstick handle (FedEx often orders these and they can be found on engines in Ex FedEx Sprinters) the oil needs to be checked before
starting the engine when every thing is cold for the most accurate level checks.
Roger