PDA

View Full Version : CEL P040B

robmurray12
02-20-2016, 05:32 PM
Vehicle info in signature.

We traveled the last year across the country and Canada putting 30k miles on our van averaging 90 miles per day, no major issues, LHM or tows needed. Only had one glow plug go out.

Moved back to CO in November, van now sits in driveway and only gets driven on weekend to charge battery and give the motor a good run. Weekend runs consist of long duration, high speed affairs (i.e. drive to Denver or the mountians via interstate and highway). In short, no little around town stop-and-go trips that are so hard on these motors and their emissions.

Anyways about a month ago upon a weekend start-up the CEL indicator was illuminated. I monitor motor info via a Scangauge II. To investigate CEL I used the Scnagauge II which spit out "1 Stored Code" P040B. Tried clearing it to no avail via Scangauge. Research idicated code may be in relation to an EGR sensor.

Been slammed with work so I have not been able to remove sensor or EGR for inspection nor replacement of said sensor. FWIW I clean the EGR valve at every other oil change (20k mi). The CEL has remained in effect for the last 6 trips taken by the van (~6 weeks).

However, upon using the van this past week, no more CEL. P040B still shows on the Scangauge II "Stored Codes" and cannot be cleared. Is there any cause for concern or is this just some strange electrical signal malfunction that has remedied itself. I welcoe any speculation or similar experiences.

Thanks,

Robert

showkey
02-20-2016, 06:43 PM
The scan gauge is a great tool to monitor engine data while driving.

Scan Gauge is a marginal code reader on a Sprinter and often is not able to clear codes. The scan gauge might report an EGR code but not be able to identify the code of one or more sensors or components in the EGR at fault. Many of us have had problems with the EGR valve, EGR cooler, temp sensors and pressure sensor so it is likely you are seeing a similar issue.

You Sprinter may have "fixed itself" for the time so no more CEL for the time being. That does tell us that what ever was causing the prior code seems to ok right now. Often codes are triggered under certain driving conditions ( high load, up hill, at certain throttle position, at a certain temperture) if you do not drive that condition for a while the code will stay "dormant".

robmurray12
02-21-2016, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the response. Yes, I was skeptical how authentic the code was given it was a generic code spit out by the Scangauge. I'll assume no problems for now until the CEL comes back on... hopefully it won't!

lindenengineering
02-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Guys
A CEL on and a wobbly knees reaction OhMehGawd what now!

Rob
In your case most likely a plugged up EGR cooler making for low flow.
Dennis

robmurray12
02-22-2016, 11:01 PM
Guys
A CEL on and a wobbly knees reaction OhMehGawd what now!

Rob
In your case most likely a plugged up EGR cooler making for low flow.
Dennis

Thanks Dennis... Spend too much time on this forum and you start to obsess about every little (or big $$$) thing that can go wrong with these vehicles. That's why I try to stay off here when I can but I do like to check in as I feel like a much more informed Sprinter owner by seeing everyone else's problems and in most cases, solutions.

I've been wondering what condition my EGR cooler is in. May need to order the gasket kit and pull it for an R&R. Yes, yes, I know, be careful with the welding wire "lance" and let her soak thoroughly.

To my knowledge and PO's service records this van has never had the EGR cooler or DPF serviced or replaced which is astounding to me given its got nearly 260k mi. It did have the EGR valve replaced once. Maybe proper oil and driving style does make all the difference...

Thanks for the response.