PDA

View Full Version : BG 244: Hi Rev?

Ojai Alex
02-17-2016, 12:21 AM
Tomorrow Ill be putting a quart of BG 244 in the tank and going for a drive. I saw a couple posts in other threads from people saying they make sure to hit some hi revs while driving with the BG in the tank. But I saw another saying that could damage the engine. Which is it?

pfflyer
02-17-2016, 12:53 AM
I don't recall seeing that on the directions on the bottle.

Ojai Alex
02-17-2016, 02:02 AM
Definitely not the sort of thing to be included in the difections...more like end user speculation and application.
Actually the quart I received did not include any directions at all! And I could not find any on the BG website...sort of weird IMO.
Currently my tank is full. Im assuming I just dump the quart directly into the gas tank and drive for about an hour? Thats what Ive been reading on other threads.
Im REALLY hoping this takes care of the intermittent hiccups I have been experiencing. Will report back.

Ojai Alex
02-17-2016, 02:48 AM
Found the instructions...hidden behind the warning label. As suspected, no mention of how to run the engine.

pfflyer
02-17-2016, 03:02 AM
I thought the bottle said to add to an empty tank and the dosage were the only thing I remember. I went from several a day to none after the first tank about 3,000 miles ago. My last tank the day I filled up I had a couple hiccups but none since so about 500 miles now. Could it be fuel quality? Let us know how your experience goes.

sailquik
02-17-2016, 03:23 AM
Ojai Alex,
Might want to find an uphill grade (the Grapevine maybe) and manually downshift to 4th gear (3rd gear if you are going south) and stay in the
truck lanes.
Run your engine in the 2700-3250 RPM range up the grade.
No need to rev it much higher (it will quit making more power @~3800 RPM).
If you have a Scan Gauge II (or similar performance monitoring device) try not to run the % load higher than ~ 85%.
Your temperature may increase, but you are not "overheating" until the temp reaches 250 deg. F.
Might want to lighten up and go slower/manually downshift another gear if the temp gets higher that 230-235 deg. F.
What you DON'T want to do is lug your engine along @ < 2400 RPM in 5th gear (D) 0.83:1 overdrive as then the % LOAD will
be maxed out.
Hope this helps,
Roger

smiller
02-17-2016, 08:20 AM
I saw a couple posts in other threads from people saying they make sure to hit some hi revs while driving with the BG in the tank. But I saw another saying that could damage the engine. Which is it?
LOL, welcome to the Internet.

I think you had it nailed at 'end user speculation.' I really don't think it will matter either way, normal engine operation will allow the cleaner to do whatever it's going to do, if anything. If the manufacturer wanted any special driving regimen they would have noted it in the directions (well, if there were any :smilewink:)

Old Crows
02-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Alex..... I'd drive it as you do normally. Once fully warmed up and the oil hot push the revs a little longer and slightly higher between shifts..... No need for the "Eye-talian Tune Up".... Just rev it a little higher in each gear and hold it there a but longer. And, stay out of 5th unless you are out on the highway...

I'm old school and I'd be a little concerned about knocking off some big chunks of carbon and crud and causing some other issue.

Ojai Alex
02-17-2016, 01:36 PM
"I thought the bottle said to add to an empty tank..."

The bottle just says "add to tank at fill-up", I dont think it really matters whether it's added to an empty tank and then filled, or added to a full tank.

pfflyer
02-17-2016, 01:43 PM
"I thought the bottle said to add to an empty tank..."

The bottle just says "add to tank at fill-up", I dont think it really matters whether it's added to an empty tank and then filled, or added to a full tank.

Its been a couple of months and my memory is not like it once was so don't believe anything I say unless you know for sure it is right.
Good luck and let us know how or if it works for you.

Ojai Alex
02-17-2016, 01:58 PM
Thanks for all the help, and yes I definitely will report back. Hopefully with improved performance and no hiccups...
Hwy 33 leaves town here and climbs several thousand feet before topping out. Ill take her to the top and see how it goes.