PDA

View Full Version : 2012 upper oil pan

sprinter4x4fl
02-11-2016, 12:06 AM
I have a oil leak coming from the rear of my upper oil pan gasket.
How hard of a job is it? Do you really have to remove the transmission?
And if so why?

lindenengineering
02-11-2016, 12:44 AM
Engine OUT.
Transmission off.
With flex plate out of the way you can gain access to the two fixing bolts holding up the rear end of the upper pan.

Before you ask I doubt you will be able to drop the upper pan down insitu. Besides its an easy lump to extract out of the front as one unit.

Be Kamikazi mechanic --Dive in! :thumbup::laughing:
Dennis

sprinter4x4fl
03-23-2016, 08:20 PM
so the trans is out, can't really tell where the oil is leaking from. does the plate that looks like it may be a cam cap above the crank ever leak?

SSMaui
03-23-2016, 10:32 PM
That's the balance shaft cap. I've never seen one leak.

lindenengineering
03-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Are you sure it not the oil cooler leaking, filling the valley with oil and dripping out!
Giving you the idea that the upper pan is leaking?.
Doing one of these at the moment.
Dennis

SSMaui
03-23-2016, 10:51 PM
Great point!

And even if the drain hole in the valley is blocked, there should be a least a small shred of evidence of oil from the drain hole above the starter.

And man, the engine and trans is much easier to pull than just the transmission...but then again I don't use a lift so laying on my back removing a trans makes just removing IT a PITA.

lindenengineering
03-23-2016, 11:16 PM
Great point!

And even if the drain hole in the valley is blocked, there should be a least a small shred of evidence of oil from the drain hole above the starter.

And man, the engine and trans is much easier to pull than just the transmission...but then again I don't use a lift so laying on my back removing a trans makes just removing IT a PITA.

You need some column lifts!
How's about these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzd8qJV_vU

sleeper bird
03-23-2016, 11:48 PM
How's about these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzd8qJV_vU

Wow,now thats some serious lifts.

SSMaui
03-23-2016, 11:52 PM
How's about these? Oh wouldn't it be nice if my company weren't so cheap! :laughing:

lindenengineering
03-24-2016, 12:19 AM
Well Napa were selling these for $16K a pair with a very generous lease plan.
A bit of a steal!
I have the "hots" to buy an addition two pairs for the shop both 24v battery operated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi1dZtfLI_w
Dennis

lindenengineering
03-24-2016, 12:27 AM
Wow,now thats some serious lifts.

Yes they (lifts) are the money earners in a shop.
I have 5 fixed lift sets, two centre post, two assymetric two posts and a 12,000 Benpac 4 poster.
The latter is just enough to get the longest Sprinter 906 on it then there's the columns--just indispensable--Gotta get more!

Keep telling the pretty one in the back office about the need to get some more investments in kit --can't make omelets without braking eggs!
So far words have fallen on stony ground!
Dennis

Rob S
03-24-2016, 08:46 PM
Dennis, you need to realize that keeping pretty can take some investments as well, so might have to choose your poison!!!! Besides, if you had one more lift, you might not have any time to notice anymore...

ps You've got to be the only independent shop having invested in emissions testing equipment. Have you ever tested a 2007-2008 with and without the GDE tune to see exactly what difference it makes?

In case you don't know, it takes about five minutes to revert to factory or to revert to the tune, as long as you have the flash tool, both are normally stored there.

There has been much discussion about this, but little actual information.

pps - Pardon the interjection in this thread, if this goes anywhere, please start a new one.

lindenengineering
03-25-2016, 04:40 AM
Dennis, you need to realize that keeping pretty can take some investments as well, so might have to choose your poison!!!! Besides, if you had one more lift, you might not have any time to notice anymore...

ps You've got to be the only independent shop having invested in emissions testing equipment. Have you ever tested a 2007-2008 with and without the GDE tune to see exactly what difference it makes?

In case you don't know, it takes about five minutes to revert to factory or to revert to the tune, as long as you have the flash tool, both are normally stored there.

There has been much discussion about this, but little actual information.

pps - Pardon the interjection in this thread, if this goes anywhere, please start a new one.

The pretty one in the back office is the missus Linda!
Sometimes one of my daughters Savanna, also a pretty one from Pakistan (I adopted her when she was small ) now made me a granddad!
I ought to mention I suppose, her husband Brandon died of a heart attack last Saturday night!
Poor boy got put on the fire today! Only 25 years old!

Linda does the financials and being a back woods gal from Northern Idaho (up against the Canadian border) she is frugal with the money!

I fell in love with her from the moment I first met her 25 years ago and still fall in love with her every morning.

Emission machines are an essential part of vehicle fault diagnosis either gasoline or diesel! It helps to understand what is going on in the combustion business to get read outs of what comes out of the tail-pipe!

Dealing with Sprinters all I can tell you is that lots of factors affect the results of what comes out even the diesel fuel used! Don't get me wrong they all seem to comply under current E rules but the gases are often wide apart comparing one van from another.
Honestly I would like to try a GDE tuned rig but I have the inclination that it might not turn out to be as the different and the stock van having done say 200,000 miles!

You see sometimes we will test a rig and say "Oh that's a clean 'un", and the next day simply state "What a dirty bastard! NOx all over the place but no CEL, no limp and all seems to be good on the scan data!
Its the emission business!
Sensor, deterioration fuel etc etc , which all contribute to pollution levels.
I suppose I should mention the ash that comes.
Being around 2.5 microns in size and the SCR etc is only expected to capture 90% anyway when new so there is always some carbon that get's out even in best conditions!
By the way the ash is a hazmat, but no-one wants to talk about that!:rolleyes:
That why I call it Blurrtech!:lol:
Still in someways its better than what we had, so we shouldn't be too hard on MB and VW and Pogo Citroen et al!
Cheers Dennis