Seat Belt Retractor Squib?

refrman

I have a 2006 2500 that has been treated roughly for 120,000 miles. I know that it has been in 2 minor front end accidents. The SRS light is lit on the dash. My DAD says that both the driver's side and passenger's side seat belt retractor squibs are showing a fault. According to the DAD service info, there is supposed to be greater than 20K ohms through the squibs. I have 2 ohms. But the retractor mechanisms work as smooth as silk with no noise or binding. I saw a picture on another thread:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=67373&stc=1&d=1429979274

that shows exactly what my squibs look like inside. The attached question was never answered: If it looks clean and shiny and empty inside does that mean it has deployed already? Or does that mean it is still good? Does anybody know?

Next question - I looked up the replacement belt retractor assemblies and there is only a drawing (of course) which fails to show the squib at all. But there is no separate listing for the squib. Can I assume that when I pay $200+ for a retractor that it comes with a squib? Again, anybody know?

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum. I find so many answers to so many of my questions here! :thumbup:

Eric Roberts
Lots of 2500s: 2006, 2007, 2014
All cargo vans used for A/C service in Hawaii

refrman

Update: I checked on two different forums (one Mercedes specific), and read that the correct squib resistance is 2 ohms, not 20,000 ohms. So I used my DAD to reset the indicator light and so far, it hasn't come back. I'm going to assume that shiny and empty is the proper appearance of an undischarged squib.

Top Bottom