Cargo Light

Joelraper

How hard would it be to install switch that turns on/off cargo light, sounds dumb and i realize that i am a total noob/rookie/whateverYouWantToCallMe. We got a new 2016 sprinter high roof van Saturday, and my biggest complaint is this. I have been reading out hear and go nervous because everyone talking about lights being hooked up to CANBUS. I also read some post about some options (we have a list of a few) that do not come from factory are not easy to add later.

here is the list:

Rear window Wiper
Light switch for cargo area available via driver.

Yup that is it! We love the Sprinter, we have 4 kids, A dog, and lots of bags and travel with many more, very excited about it. We are going to ditch our 2000 (bought new) ford excursion now that we have this massive people mover. i figured out the Aux heater w/ Remote tonight and way very excited (it was below 39 degrees finally.). That is a pretty neat option as my wife wanted remote start for the sprinter and there seems to be mixed results on that. This serves the purpose we wanted remote start for.

2016 144" wheelbase high roof
passenger Van

Last edited:
Next time I take out some of the overhead in my Crew I plan to add a couple cargo area light switches...One on the console and one next to my bunk.

I found that all it takes to control these lights the same as the switch on the lamp itself is a pair of small wires attached to the wires marked with arrows in the attached pic and a switch on the end that shorts them together. This is what the switch in the lamp does. In theory one could add as many such controls as one desired by trapping into these wires. I could locate the other end of the 2 wires marked with arrows and tap into them there, but I dont have MB wiring diagrams so dont know exactly where they lead off to.

The circle in the pic is the contact that is made when the lamp's switch is "On" and this shorts the 2 indicated wires together.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rockclmbr

Hi, I'm looking to do the same thing. Can you please explain further how this in theory works?

I have added LED aftermarket lights in the rear ceiling and they are currently connected to the factory wiring. I have to turn on the cab switch you have shown and then they time out in 15 min. How can I get power and allow they to stay on but switched?

Thanks!

Top Bottom