6-Volt Auxiliary Battery Conversion

Rock Doc

All,

I just finished a project of about a week of half-days installing two 6-volt Fullriver DC224-6 batteries underhood to replace the stock Group 49 Johnson Controls 100 Ah battery in my 2014 Pleasureway Plateau TS on a 2013 3500 chassis. Here's a detailed write-up of the project, which I wanted to contribute to this forum that has given me a lot of help. (It's my first attempt at attaching a file, so I hope it comes through! If not, I'll try again after I post this.)

View attachment Sprinter NVC 3500 Conversion to 2 6.pdf

I removed the stock battery tray and fabricated my own tray--which now fits beautifully--and it works! I know this isn't quite up to the level of installing LiFePO4 batteries, but I don't have to deal with a new battery management system, I don't sacrifice interior storage space, it totaled about $800 in batteries and materials, and at 224 Ah I've more than doubled my battery capacity--which will give me what I really need for my use. I'm hoping that my write-up will give the level of detail for anyone else to replicate this if desired.

I also did read in one past post that someone found the battery tray RoadTrek uses can be purchased through a RoadTrek dealer for about $200. Given the time and effort it took me to fabricate this, it would probably be worth it to purchase rather than build--especially if time, equipment and skills are an issue.

Rock Doc

Rock Doc

Thanks for the compliment--I tried to be pretty complete so that anyone so inclined could copy what I did.

As it is, I don't really see a reason for me to hang on to either the original factory auxiliary battery tray--nor the original Johnson Controls battery. After all, my garage is about as limited in storage space as my Class B!

To be honest, I haven't really put thought into that just yet. If you're interested, I can be persuaded to part with it.

Rock Doc

Rock Doc

Just today I actually drove the vehicle after the dual 6-volt battery installation. Brakes were pretty hard to push and didn't give much stopping power. A quick check under the hood revealed that I'd dislodged the hard plastic tube from the vacuum accumulator right next to the window washer fluid reservoir. Plugging the tube back into the vacuum accumulator gave me back my normal brakes. Otherwise, everything else seems to be working normally.

I guess that's one more item to add to the final list of things to check at the end of the job!

Rock Doc

Top Bottom