Question re Insulating front doors

sprinterPaul

I am using thinsulate to insulate my new 2016 Crew Van.

When doing the front driver side door panel I was wondering what others have done in that area to insulate and avoid interfering with the window lifter?

I put some RAAMAT on the door and would like to put thinsulate in there behind the window lifter against the metal; finishing with ensolite foam on the inside behind the door inner panel around the speaker and such.

I only want to open the door up once since it's a pita. Thanks for any feedback!

Thanks,
Paul

GSWatson

2013 144
Hi Paul - I did the passenger door and used the largest pieces of Thinsulate I could fit. There was one seam, and I used shrink-wrap tape to join it -

Dr. Shrink DS-704W White 4" x 180' Shrink Tape https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EYFUEC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_ym6QwbCK09CCH

The great thing about this tape is it's sticky as hell, loves the heat (unlike duct tape), and leaves no residue when removed. I use in on our Eurovan to seal up the doors and attach the tent to the car for Burning Man - 7 days of direct sun desert heat, 30-40 degree nights, and it peels off and leaves no residue on either the van or the tent. Stretches over everything.

Sorry, I digress ;-)

Anyway, I up & Downed the window multiple times, and no problems, so I buttoned it up (and it was dark and started to rain. I like the idea of a solid smooth barrier like the Ram mat; I was also thinking of a piece of Reflectix, as I could cut one piece that would fit the inside, and fold it into place.

Thanks to Hein for the extra clips included with the speaker rings - came in handy!

Top Bottom